You can't chose to believe something can you?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, why does one desire to believe and one doesn’t?
Per Jesus ...

John 3

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Per Jesus ...

John 3

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
Okay, why does one do evil, and another one do truth?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All is sourced in the plan of God.

We were made (by God) to make choices.
Again, what’s the difference between you, let’s say, who chose to believe in Christ; and the sinner who rejected Him all of his life? Are you just a better person because you don’t hate

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, what’s the difference between you, let’s say, who chose to believe in Christ; and the sinner who rejected Him all of his life? Are you just a better person because you don’t hate.
I am what God made me.

Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, I will say this...The only predestination the Bible shows us and speaks of is the predestining of Israel to bring forth the Messiah so as to bring Salvation of reconciliation to Our Creator. That Messiah is Jesus of Nazereth. Yahweh does not predestined individuals to Salvation or to condemnation.

Second, after numerous days spent on this site, I have come to realize that these forums do nothing for nobody. Sincere folks ask questions and they are bombarded with numerous opinions and interpretations Both true and false. Seriously, if you have questions regarding something, do not go to the internet, do not go to a Pastor, do not appeal to commentaries, but go to the Father without a decision in your mind and seek to know from him. He will show youif you truly desire to know the Truth. All this forum nonsense does is confuse people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, what’s the difference between you, let’s say, who chose to believe in Christ; and the sinner who rejected Him all of his life? Are you just a better person because you don’t hate.
Ultimately, I want what God wants. Others may not.

It is the way God made me. All comes from God. I certainly can't take any credit for it.

I don't think that it is an issue of being better. I think that it is an issue of being aligned with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, I want what God wants. Others may not.

It is the way God made me. All comes from God. I certainly can't take any credit for it.

I don't think that it is an issue of being better. I think that it is an issue of being aligned with God.
Then if that’s the case, those that love darkness are that way because it’s how God made them. Right?

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't choose to believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit is the reason I can and do.

I didn't choose to believe in predestination, the Bible says God chose us and predestinates so I believe the word of God.

I didn't choose to believe in the Trinity, the Bible says these 3 testify as 1. The Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit.

I didn't choose to believe 1+1=2.

So, in reality, we can't force ourselves to believe something, right?

Many people have false beliefs. They call that a schizophrenia trait. And it is reported that much of the sane population have schizophrenic traits. Schizophrenia

"Schizophrenia is characterized by distortions in thinking, perception, emotions, language, sense of self and behaviour. Common experiences include hallucinations - hearing voices or seeing things that are not there and delusions – fixed, false beliefs."

Noticing "false beliefs" at the end of that paragraph. I think the bible is an attempt to dismiss false beliefs. Also science is an attempt to dismiss false beliefs.

Although simply having false beliefs does not make one schizophrenic, it is a trait of schizophrenia.

What do we believe? What are we taught as children? Is it false? We have much debate on the interpretation of scripture here. Then all believe the other interpreting people are in false beliefs.

Just a thought :)

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't choose to believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit is the reason I can and do.

I didn't choose to believe in predestination, the Bible says God chose us and predestinates so I believe the word of God.

I didn't choose to believe in the Trinity, the Bible says these 3 testify as 1. The Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit.

I didn't choose to believe 1+1=2.

So, in reality, we can't force ourselves to believe something, right?

Yeah you can. There’s a different between “ I didn’t choose to believe” vs “ I had no choice based on what was presented but to believe”

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then if that’s the case, those that love darkness are that way because it’s how God made them. Right?
God made everything. Or, at least, got the ball rolling ... with a measure of free will thrown in. So, then, there are some made, ... who will not align with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why was I unable to believe back then when I was 19? I said the sinner's prayer and was unable to believe or repent from my sins.

Then one night I opened the Bible to the Word of God and the Holy Spirit came in and gave me eternal life which resulted in a life change too.

You confuse unwillingness with inability. You were unwilling to believe (as you revealed in a later post). There are many who sit in wheelchairs at this time who are more than willing to "get up and walk" if only they had the ability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
God made everything. Or, at least, got the ball rolling ... with a measure of free will thrown in. So, then, there are some made, ... who will not align with God.
Aren’t you crediting God for making you as a person who loves the light? That doesn’t sound like free will.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I suspect that was Lucifer's last line of defence. "You made me this way (rebellious), how can I be any different?" Hence the Lord put His plan into motion of subjecting everyone into a position of Total Depravity (the complete inability to do God's will) in order to show that no-one is created rebellious (evil) but rather we all learn and choose for ourselves that which we love. The light or the dark, the choice is ours. God has ensured we see both so there can be no claim of ignorance and no denial of what we are. It's the price of real freedom.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that was Lucifer's last line of defence. "You made me this way (rebellious), how can I be any different?" Hence the Lord put His plan into motion of subjecting everyone into a position of Total Depravity (the complete inability to do God's will) in order to show that no-one is created rebellious (evil) but rather we all learn and choose for ourselves that which we love. The light or the dark, the choice is ours. God has ensured we see both so there can be no claim of ignorance and no denial of what we are. It's the price of real freedom.
So why do some choose the light, while others choose the dark?

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The context was clear that “he” is the unregenerate man.

So are you saying that yes, he’s a slave to sin? If so, I don’t understand what you mean by “yes, upon redemption”.
Perhaps I used the wrong word upon. Accepting redemption proves a person made a choice.

Jn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There are a few verses that say whosoever will. I don't know how to interpret that except a person has a free will.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why do some choose the light, while others choose the dark?
What does that matter? It seems some here want to prove God is unjust. Concerning predestination God knew what an individual by name would do before creating the world.

Upvote 0