Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wondering everyone's thoughts what is and is not permissible and still, in all honesty, consider yourself a Christian. I'd like to keep the topic is non-judgmental as possible, so when considering the definition of a Christian, use yourself for said examination. In other words:

"If I did <X> I couldn't consider myself to really be Christian." Define X. Be as general or specific as you wish, but please back up any claims with Scripture.

Example:

You can't be a Christian and hate your brother or sister (1 John 4:20).

AngelJ

Mar 22, 2017
East Coast
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I murdered someone (or let someone die) in cold blood, I couldn't consider myself to really be Christian.

That could be based on letting someone starve, freeze, be ran over, murdered by someone else, rape/molestation, let someone drive drunk, drive unsafe. ..etc. ..anything that could take a life in cold blood. ..and that also includes animals.

• Agree
Reactions: lben
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can't be a Christian and commit adultery with your brethren's wife, and then after finding out she's pregnant murder your brethren.

Oh wait...

The Bible provides examples of grace and mercy and forgiveness like this for a reason. I understand (and like) the thread's purpose, but I just hope more people will remember these examples we have in scripture and that they see the big picture of God's grace and love and mercy.

You can't be a Christian, and in an age of hunger, be rich. Mark 10:25 KJV

Best wishes, Strivax.
1 Timothy 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Then there's also Zacchaeus...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I murdered someone (or let someone die) in cold blood, I couldn't consider myself to really be Christian.

That could be based on letting someone starve, freeze, be ran over, murdered by someone else, rape/molestation, let someone drive drunk, drive unsafe. ..etc. ..anything that could take a life in cold blood. ..and that also includes animals.
So no fishing like Jesus helped his Apostles do?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

Christians can murder. Commanded (obviously, as if we needed it written) not to murder, but some Christians have murdered and yes they are still forgiven.

• Agree
Reactions: Xavier Cane
Upvote 0

AngelJ

Mar 22, 2017
East Coast
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So no fishing like Jesus helped his Apostles do?
Well, I don't fish, so... that's me, and that's what the quote was about. Yourself. Not others.

Exodus 20:13 The Hebrew word also covers causing human death through carelessness or negligence. You shall not murder.

Matthew 5:21 Anger
You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.'

You can't pick and choose what suits your needs. There are plenty more, but I'm sure you know what I'm speaking of.

• Agree
Reactions: lben
Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't be a Christian and commit adultery with your brethren's wife, and then after finding out she's pregnant murder your brethren.

Oh wait...

The Bible provides examples of grace and mercy and forgiveness like this for a reason. The question instead should be "Do you realize the grace and love God has for his children? Do you understand the depths of His mercy?"

1 Timothy 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Then there's also Zacchaeus...

I just suspect, if we truly loved God, and our neighbour as ourselves, there would be no poor among us. Matthew 22:37-39 KJV

Best wishes, Strivax.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't be a Christian, and in an age of hunger, be rich. Mark 10:25 KJV

Best wishes, Strivax.

This is important stuff and news to me. So we dont miss out on salvation, tell us what would make us "rich?" Is there a certain dollar amount we should not pass? If so, what is it....so we can all get below that threshold.

And please explain how the hunger of the world is related to the single person who thought they were a christian, but since they are rich, cant be anymore.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I just suspect, if we truly loved our neighbour as ourselves, there would be no poor among us.

Best wishes, Strivax.
As someone who is pretty poor himself I appreciate the sentiment, and I do believe rich or well-off Christians are called to give to poor brethren. A lot of Christians, out of ignorance, do not realize they are called to such things however. The church operates in a more cold business-like fashion then it used to.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

All animals or just certain ones? e.g. are only vegetarians Christians?

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I really love Jesus Christ, my heart's desire is to serve others.

If I didn't serve mankind in some way, I couldn't consider myself to be Christian.

By serving as His hands and feet here on earth, I mean by working in a paid or volunteer position trying to help others, and spreading His message of hope and love and peace.

If one isn't able-bodied to do so with physical labor, praying would be serving, as well as working online, making donations over the internet to various ministries, phone counseling, being a good neighbor, etc.

The fruit of the spirit spills out of me and I have been changed or transformed by the renewing of my mind and spirit forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be a Christian, you must bear fruits of the spirit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As someone who is pretty poor himself I appreciate the sentiment, and I do believe rich or well-off Christians are called to give to poor brethren. A lot of Christians, out of ignorance, do not realize they are called to such things however.
Indeed. Who would be in a better position to help the poor than the rich?

Just as the rich have been given a vocation of loving and caring for those in need, the needy have been given the vocation of providing an opportunity for the rich to have someone to help.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who is pretty poor himself I appreciate the sentiment, and I do believe rich or well-off Christians are called to give to poor brethren. A lot of Christians, out of ignorance, do not realize they are called to such things however. The church operates in a more cold business-like fashion then it used to.
You are not poor, you are rich.....because your heavenly father is rich...and he gives freely to those who ask. Dont let man convince you that rich means the number of coins in the bank. Dont let your eyes tell you that you are not rich because of what they see in a bank account. Pluck em out(not literally, of course) and believe the report of the Lord. Trust in Him and he will give you the desires of your heart.....Dont wait for the "rich man" to give you what is already yours.

Let the weak say I AM strong....

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. Who would be in a better position to help the poor than the rich?

Just as the rich have been given a vocation of loving and caring for those in need, the needy have been given the vocation of providing an opportunity for the rich to have someone to help.
You are right. I say we should be rich christians, and show the others who are rich, how it is supposed to be done. Be an example for them to follow. Will you join me , or do you feel, like some others, we have to be poor and just talk about what the rich should do?

Upvote 0