You Can't be a Christian and Vote for. . .

Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices?

• A Christian may vote for anyone he chooses. This has nothing to do with one's faith.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • A Christian may only vote for a candidate that is Christ-like.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A Christian may only vote for a candidate that is a Christian.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So why bother arguing with me then? Go away, argue with someone else.
This is a discussion forum. You began discussing your views and then I began discussing them too. I am under no obligation to not discuss your views if I believe they are wrong, particularly when you bring God and Scripture to bear. I love God and Scripture too much to not challenge erroneous interpretations of them, particularly when these claims of yours are accusatory.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

only a sojourner

Apr 7, 2014
United States
✟127,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a difficult time frankly supporting either party. The Democratic Party's support of abortion, gay marriage and other anti- Biblical stands presents serious problems for me. The Republican Party's abandonment of the poor and their position on health care are also highly problematic to me. The Church has neither the capacity or the will to address problems like poverty or health care which are problems of scale that can only be addressed effectively by government policy. I discuss this issue in depth on a thread entitled "A christian Economy" under "Discussion and Debate" then "Politics" then "General Political Discussion". Because of this I am quite alienated from politics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have a difficult time frankly supporting either party. The Democratic Party's support of abortion, gay marriage and other anti- Biblical stands presents serious problems for me. The Republican Party's abandonment of the poor and their position on health care are also highly problematic to me. The Church has neither the capacity or the will to address problems like poverty or health care which are problems of scale that can only be addressed effectively by government policy. I discuss this issue in depth on a thread entitled "A christian Economy" under "Discussion and Debate" then "Politics" then "General Political Discussion". Because of this I am quite alienated from politics.

Thanks for the reply.

What's you answer to the OP: Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices without his faith being called into question?

Upvote 0

Caretaker

Jun 7, 2013
✟10,632.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reply.

What's you answer to the OP: Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices without his faith being called into question?

?? The implication being that calling one's faith into question is behavior that should not be expected/tolerated??

Hmm.... Wasn't Jesus' faith called into question by the Scribes, Pharisees, and teachers of the law? Did Jesus not tell us that if we truly are his disciples we will be persecuted just as he was (John 15:18-24)? So, if we're truly following Jesus, shouldn't we expect our faith to be called into question?

Just checking to make sure we're on the same page here ....

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
?? The implication being that calling one's faith into question is behavior that should not be expected/tolerated??

Hmm.... Wasn't Jesus' faith called into question by the Scribes, Pharisees, and teachers of the law? Did Jesus not tell us that if we truly are his disciples we will be persecuted just as he was (John 15:18-24)? So, if we're truly following Jesus, shouldn't we expect our faith to be called into question?

Just checking to make sure we're on the same page here ....

Many on CF have said something to the effect, "How could you call yourself a Christian and support (blank)".

Are they justified in doing so, or, Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices without his faith being called into question?

Upvote 0

Caretaker

Jun 7, 2013
✟10,632.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Many on CF have said something to the effect, "How could you call yourself a Christian and support (blank)".

Are they justified in doing so, or, Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices without his faith being called into question?

?? We still don't seem to be communicating. I thought the scriptures I quoted made clear that if a Christian is indeed walking the walk of Jesus his/her faith WILL be called into question.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices without his faith being called into question?
Nope. There will always be someone around to say, "how can you call yourself a Christian and vote for...?" whether the candidate is conservative or liberal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. There will always be someone around to say, "how can you call yourself a Christian and vote for...?" whether the candidate is conservative or liberal.

I agree. I also think that it is secondary legalism. It's saying, unless you conform to this extra-biblical thing, you are not/will not be saved.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0