You Can't be a Christian and Vote for. . .

Is a Christian free to vote for any of the current field of possible presidential choices?

• A Christian may vote for anyone he chooses. This has nothing to do with one's faith.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • A Christian may only vote for a candidate that is Christ-like.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A Christian may only vote for a candidate that is a Christian.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen.

Mathew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mathew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Philippians 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 ForI am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did you read any of the scripture i posted? Paul teaches us that we judge those inside the Church but not outside it. He said that he has nothing to do with judging those outside the Church, and that God judges them.
I've read all those verses many times. They don't teach that voting is bad, or supporting a political candidate is bad. Furthermore, 1 Cor 5:13 has a specific context which is not at all political. In fact, 1 Tim 2:1-4 implies that political activity is not sinful behavior:

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.​

We may conclude from this that:
  1. It is good for us to live peaceful and quiet lives, godly and dignified, and governing authorities have a hand in making that possible. In fact, we are to pray for people in order to make this happen.
  2. God even wants the governing authorities to be saved. After all, they are people too.
  3. In order for the governing authorities to both be saved and help those in the church live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives, they must remain in power. Sure, one could get saved and abdicate, but that would not help those in the church live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives. This is because another, unregenerate official can easily take the place of the saved one, and then just as easily continue the policies that make it harder for those in the church to live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives. Requiring that those who get saved abdicate from their office, which seems to be a position you would support, would defeat one of the purposes of this passage.
Furthermore, i don't believe in following any man, not even in the Church. That's how we go wrong. We follow the apostles in scripture, those are the men the Lord sent to teach us. Show me a Church that teaches that and i'll call them my Church. Let God be true and every man a liar.
The Apostles expressly appointed others to handle church affairs, and Paul wrote to Timothy about how this was supposed to be done. This is not incompatible with voting. People need to agree on who they are going to lay hands on before they lay the hands.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read all those verses many times. They don't teach that voting is bad, or supporting a political candidate is bad. Furthermore, 1 Cor 5:13 has a specific context which is not at all political. In fact, 1 Tim 2:1-4 implies that political activity is not sinful behavior:

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.​

We may conclude from this that:
  1. It is good for us to live peaceful and quiet lives, godly and dignified, and governing authorities have a hand in making that possible. In fact, we are to pray for people in order to make this happen.
  2. God even wants the governing authorities to be saved. After all, they are people too.
  3. In order for the governing authorities to both be saved and help those in the church live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives, they must remain in power. Sure, one could get saved and abdicate, but that would not help those in the church live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives. This is because another, unregenerate official can easily take the place of the saved one, and then just as easily continue the policies that make it harder for those in the church to live peaceful, quiet, godly, and dignified lives. Requiring that those who get saved abdicate from their office, which seems to be a position you would support, would defeat one of the purposes of this passage.

The Apostles expressly appointed others to handle church affairs, and Paul wrote to Timothy about how this was supposed to be done. This is not incompatible with voting. People need to agree on who they are going to lay hands on before they lay the hands.

Politics are not peaceful and quiet. ITs about war and strife, slander, covetousness and hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Politics are not peaceful and quiet. ITs about war and strife, slander, covetousness and hypocrisy.
They determine how the people in the cities, states, countries, etc live their lives. Politics is simply how policies are made by government. Governments are necessary to prevent anarchy. Scripture never speaks well of anarchy.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They determine how the people in the cities, states, countries, etc live their lives. Politics is simply how policies are made by government. Governments are necessary to prevent anarchy. Scripture never speaks well of anarchy.

God establishes those things, not the people. YOur vote doesn't count anyway, its all a scam. In the end, you only follow a lie.

Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you imagine the implications in the first post if things went awry at the polls?
"I voted for Obama and I'm officially no longer welcome in Heaven as a Southern Baptist!" :doh:^_^

First choice in that poll fits me. The Bible gives us instruction about leaders and our responsibility. Personally, if one does not approve of anyone on the ballot in what is a two party system regardless of the many party options that may appear on that ballot, they owe it to themselves and their integrity to abstain. A vote is a seal of trust one puts their name behind.
Voting just to vote when one doesn't trust any candidate listed isn't wisdom. It's betrayal of the responsibility that is the casting of our trust in our future leader.
That's my opinion only and I'm not speaking for anyone else so please, no slings and arrows directed my way. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would be helpful if you answered the question.

The politicians are scamming us. You are like a horse being lead by a carrot. The rich rule this world, they always have and always will. They only divide us, just as we are now divided. THe Church is supposed to be like the Church of acts 4. One heart and one mind. That's impossible with politics. I know you don't believe this, so you will never agree, but its still the truth regardless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Very true.

The Adamic nature rails against any and all authority, be it church or state. Government bears the sword in order to prevent anarchy.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The politicians are scamming us. You are like a horse being lead by a carrot. The rich rule this world, they always have and always will. They only divide us, just as we are now divided.
And you're saying God established this?

THe Church is supposed to be like the Church of acts 4. One heart and one mind. That's impossible with politics. I know you don't believe this, so you will never agree, but its still the truth regardless.
If the majority of the church disagreed with you on any one point, then would they still be the problem?

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And you're saying God established this?

If the majority of the church disagreed with you on any one point, then would they still be the problem?

God allows us to reap what we sow. If you put trust in politicians rather than God, and if you seek an earthly nation rather than his kingdom, and if you seek division rather than the Church of Acts 4, then that's exactly what you will reap.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God allows us to reap what we sow. If you put trust in politicians rather than God, and if you seek an earthly nation rather than his kingdom, and if you seek division rather than the Church of Acts 4, then that's exactly what you will reap.
So where's your Acts 4 church? Who else is in it besides you?

Welcome to the end times. 2 Timothy 4:3
Cute. Let me know when you can actually back up the claim that everyone who disagrees with you on politics or church governance does so because of willful disobedience. Last I checked, you couldn't rightly judge the motives of such people. Furthermore, I gave you an example of sound doctrine in 1 Tim 2:1-4 which you would "not endure," so I don't see how quoting 2 Tim 4:3 helps your case in the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So where's your Acts 4 church? Who else is in it besides you?

Cute. Let me know when you can actually back up the claim that everyone who disagrees with you on politics or church governance does so because of willful disobedience. Last I checked, you couldn't rightly judge the motives of such people. Furthermore, I gave you an example of sound doctrine in 1 Tim 2:1-4 which you would "not endure," so I don't see how quoting 2 Tim 4:3 helps your case in the least.

I'm not in anything but the end times. The only difference between us is that I see it and you don't. What else should I expect? Am I to expect that those whos ears flock to teachers and politicians would agree with 2 Timothy 4:3? It all makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not in anything but the end times. The only difference between us is that I see it and you don't. What else should I expect? Am I to expect that those whos ears flock to teachers and politicians would agree with 2 Timothy 4:3? It all makes sense to me.
Well, it all makes sense to you. That doesn't make you right.

Upvote 0

Naoiwi

Mar 22, 2016
Lakewood washington
✟7,636.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't vote for any of the options, but the closest is, yes, I think a Christian can vote for whoever they choose - though I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with one's faith. I don't think it's possible to escape others questioning one's politics & faith, though.

Even when I repeatedly tell hard-right people in my life that I don't even want to discuss politics with them, let alone tell them who I'm voting for, I am inevitably pressured to debate the matter anyway. I've been told how stupid/evil/etc "liberals" are, etc, etc. It makes it really hard for me to love my neighbor as myself sometimes, & since some of the rhetoric comes from Christians, it hurts my faith as well. It's sad how tainted much of the discourse has become.

I used to be a reasonable independent, who could choose a mainstream Republican at times, but I've come to accept that time is gone. I am now a faithful Democrat. The party's values most closely match my own overall anyway.

Evaluating current candidates, they all have flaws, though I am most troubled by the two Republican front-runners. Some of the things said by these two are so, in my view, anti-Gospel, I am puzzled by Christians who support them. I don't judge them, but their support for these candidates bothers me.
Nobody is in office that God doesn't put there! But I don't think he favors those that vote blindly and many do. Most vote for someone knowing nothing about them kinda like being in a religion because you were born in it and you were told this is what you are. Nothng right about that .

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, it all makes sense to you. That doesn't make you right.

It makes scripture right. Let GOd be true and every man a liar.

No sense devouring me, im just one guy, just a crazy guy on the internet. I have no Church or political party, all i have is my suffering. Leave me be and let me die in peace.

Upvote 0