You can hear your momma now... put that down! Stop doing that!

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The meaning of the word "repent", is to turn away.

I don't care where you're from... Mamma knew. :crosseo:

For those of us old enough, we call it the parental mindset. We adopted it when we had children!
For your entertainment. :tutu:

Forgive me...

• Friendly
Reactions: CoolDude68

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mom use to make me so mad because I had this friend that she use to tell me he's bad news and not to hang around him. I thought I knew better, of course. Momma was right! Years later I think he wound up in jail.

Always listen to momma!

• Haha
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
54dfafa1103972e7fc2b33d77e338571734f6853ea6bd2b294ffdf4d333f71f8.jpg

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point in this thread is that we adopt a mindset.
In another thread I pointed out that a college education about Christianity, from a Christian point of view, was grossly inadequate.

"The Church" has a mindset that we, as Christians are to adopt.

Many times, for us in western countries, we have difficulty seeing The Church's mindset is one of a hospital.

We have been trained to look for judge and jury in the text. "Hell fire and damnation" have been a mainstay on the mid-western plain for two centuries.

Secondary to the point is that there are actions (liturgical rites like baptism and communion) that go along with that Christian mindset. We often loose sight of the history (liturgy) that we are joining ourselves to. We are to adopt these also. They are there to prepare our souls for eternity. Why question them?

Sometimes we put up our own barriers, failing to soften our heart and lay hold of the complete set of wisdom that has been preserved for us. The music, the icon, the liturgies... the very services themselves preserved as text by the grace of The Holy Spirit, to later be communicated to us as the bible.

Lift up your hearts to Christ with Orthodox Christians inside a Christian Temple. You will not regret it.

I would have it that you would see, hear, smell and taste everything in Ancient Christian worship.

I'm rattling...

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why question them?

Why would you say that about anything? Everything must be questioned. At the very least, you need to know exactly what it is that you're not questioning, and that requires a question.

"The Church" has a mindset that we, as Christians are to adopt.

That mindset has been there over many generations and a lot of time. Would it be the only culture that never changed, by chance? Oh, but the Protestant culture has changed, you would argue. Having proved that the culture of Christ's church can change (hence your perceived need for a return), you therefore discredit the idea that the Orthodoxy can't change. The only thing that certainly hasn't changed is the idea of an orthodoxy. It's the conservation of a name. If the culture attached to that name has never changed, then it is inhuman, and if it has changed, then the authority of its name is meaningless.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would you say that about anything? Everything must be questioned. At the very least, you need to know exactly what it is that you're not questioning, and that requires a question.

I was speaking of the sacraments. Confession, Baptism, Communion etc.
Why question them? What nefarious motive could possibly be behind them?

That mindset has been there over many generations and a lot of time. Would it be the only culture that never changed, by chance? Oh, but the Protestant culture has changed, you would argue. Having proved that the culture of Christ's church can change (hence your perceived need for a return), you therefore discredit the idea that the Orthodoxy can't change. The only thing that certainly hasn't changed is the idea of an orthodoxy. It's the conservation of a name. If the culture attached to that name has never changed, then it is inhuman, and if it has changed, then the authority of its name is meaningless.

Interesting thoughts.

Lot's of little changes happened over the first several hundred years. The use of a liturgical calendar being something to point out.

Orthodox Christianity does not change in "DOGMA". I think that's what you mean (or maybe not) when you say the idea of an orthodoxy. If you are saying that everyone who rightly can give the creed in the original meaning is orthodox... I would agree, at least in terms of mental acquiesce. There is still the matter of Praxis (how we do) to add.

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, the quickest way to get in the mindset of "Jesus Christ" is to be present and sing the praises during the hours of worship. There is no denying that King David most certainly had a relationship with Christ. The Psalms are loaded with Christian Theology.

When we get down to the nuts and bolts of HIS (The Church's) mindset, it's in the psalms and the way they are presented in the hours of worship. That's why they are in the middle of our bibles.

Just a few more hours to Wednesday night Vespers.

Tonight will be the 18th Kathisma (section) of the Psalms.

Ladies and Gentlemen; Christian Worship music. Psalms 119

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”[a]
20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Glory Only in the Lord
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”[c]

1 Corinthians 2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony[a] of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Spiritual Wisdom
6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”[c]
10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy[d] Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?”[e] But we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”[a]
20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Glory Only in the Lord
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”[c]

1 Corinthians 2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony[a] of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Spiritual Wisdom
6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”[c]
10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy[d] Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?”[e] But we have the mind of Christ.

Your momma said all that? ^_^

Forgive me...

• Haha
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The meaning of the word "repent", is to turn away.

I don't care where you're from... Mamma knew. :crosseo:

For those of us old enough, we call it the parental mindset. We adopted it when we had children!
For your entertainment. :tutu:

Forgive me...
Some people like a watered down definition for "repent." That way they don't have to do it.

Upvote 0