Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
That's what a 5 year old said to me in my Kinder Class in the Children's Ministry when I hugged another child around the shoulder.

I was at a loss...:confused:

The child I hugged told the other little girl it was OK that I hugged her but she was adamant I should go to jail for hugging.

I understand we need to teach our children about abuse...but have we gone a little too far?

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I don't think its so much what we (parents) teach them as it is what some public school teachers teach them.

I have to confess that this new America is quite freightening. :cry:

Hey Jim...:hug:

I know it's concerning. Can't hug 'em....can't swat their tushies. Can we touch our kids at all?

I hug the kids in my class...just a shoulder squeeze...and sometimes...I'll kiss the tops of their heads...especially when they're upset.

Now of course I would never consider swatting a tushie in my class...

I don't like to even take them by the hand or arm in discipline...I'll usually pick them up and carry them if the need to be moved because they're acting out.

But I guess we really have to be mindful of such things....something could be really blown out of proportion.

The little girl that was adamant I could go to jail for a hug was a not a regular attendee of our church...so one doesn't really know how some folks will react and to what.

And yes, you're quite right about what children are taught outside the home through various means.

I read an article once that a 13 year old in Canada sued her parents for diciplining her...I think they grounded her for a month or something...and the judge reversed the parents discipline....:doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2006
✟10,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That is really sad, about the 5 year old. I hope it was just a 'sometimes kids say strange things' moment...

I remember in our RE teacher training that we were taught to be so careful about touching the children... we also had to be careful about not referring to God as father because many children will at best not understand the connection... :(

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

That's just rediculous. Socialization skills my foot. More like anti-socialization skills....:doh:

Has society just lost all ability to discern anything?

There is a BIG difference in a comforting hug and frottage. Or between kids making out in the hall and one child comforting another.

We can't discipline children, comfort children...children can't comfort each other...

...even as adults in the workplace....NO touching no matter how innocent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
That is really sad, about the 5 year old. I hope it was just a 'sometimes kids say strange things' moment...

I remember in our RE teacher training that we were taught to be so careful about touching the children... we also had to be careful about not referring to God as father because many children will at best not understand the connection... :(

Sadly...the child was rebuking me for hugging the other child...and quite insistant about it as well.

It was difficult for me to try and explain the difference between a good hug and a bad hug as she was so young and I didn't want to speak contrary to what her parents may have been teaching her.

I certainly didn't want her parents to complain I was endangering their child by telling her it's OK to let people touch her...even in a good way....:confused:

So I just left it at my hug was a good and loving hug, not a bad and hurtful hug and thankfully the other little girl spoke up and said her mommy said it was OK that I hugged her....and then I changed the subject...:)

Upvote 0

Norton Woman

Jul 23, 2009
England
✟15,188.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Agree, agree, agree...

It's the same in the UK. I teach secondary school students though, so can have a discussion with them about society's expectations and how to discern the hype from reality. I touch the children I teach, on the shoulder/arm as a means of showing genuine encouragement. Teenagers need contact as a means of communicating warmth too. I've worked in the school for a long time and they seem to like it; I've not had a negative reaction yet, though wouldn't do the same were I to move school and be among students who didn't know me well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's what a 5 year old said to me in my Kinder Class in the Children's Ministry when I hugged another child around the shoulder.

I was at a loss...:confused:

The child I hugged told the other little girl it was OK that I hugged her but she was adamant I should go to jail for hugging.

I understand we need to teach our children about abuse...but have we gone a little too far?
One of my scouts was once shocked that I didn't own any condoms, and was adamant that I would catch AIDS without one. Aparently any adult without condoms is in huge danger of getting AIDS... from walking around, or using public toilets maybe... I didn't ask.

But yeah, while it is very important to educate kids about the risks of modern life, I really think it is even more important to make sure they understand the information correctly, since misunderstood and half understood facts can and do do more damage than pure ignorance.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
One of my scouts was once shocked that I didn't own any condoms, and was adamant that I would catch AIDS without one. Aparently any adult without condoms is in huge danger of getting AIDS... from walking around, or using public toilets maybe... I didn't ask.

But yeah, while it is very important to educate kids about the risks of modern life, I really think it is even more important to make sure they understand the information correctly, since misunderstood and half understood facts can and do do more damage than pure ignorance.

I'm almost afraid to ask...but how did a convo get started about condoms in a scout group?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it's really horrible the way things are going...obviously kids need to be protected, but it gets to the stage where you're worried about going to help a little kid (like 2 or 3 years old), who looks like they're lost......just in case the parent turns up and thinks you're abducting them or something. Still, I suppose, better to take that risk than the kid to get run over, or really get abducted.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm almost afraid to ask...but how did a convo get started about condoms in a scout group?

I was actually giving some kids a lift home, and one of them just came out and asked if I own any condoms. I assume the subject had been being discussed amongst the younger members that evening, but I don't know the precise context that brought it up or what was said prior to him asking me. Sorry, I guess its got to be a funny story, but I don't know what it is.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, it's really horrible the way things are going...obviously kids need to be protected, but it gets to the stage where you're worried about going to help a little kid (like 2 or 3 years old), who looks like they're lost......just in case the parent turns up and thinks you're abducting them or something. Still, I suppose, better to take that risk than the kid to get run over, or really get abducted.
I think thats probably the best way to look at it. Always help a little kid if they look like they're in trouble. Better to explain your way out of a misunderstanding than stand by and watch something bad happen out of fear of causing a misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I was actually giving some kids a lift home, and one of them just came out and asked if I own any condoms. I assume the subject had been being discussed amongst the younger members that evening, but I don't know the precise context that brought it up or what was said prior to him asking me. Sorry, I guess its got to be a funny story, but I don't know what it is.

Yeah...kids can come up with the most off the cuff things sometimes.

Personally....I think between the TV and the Internet they are exposed waaaay too early to too much stuff they are not prepared to properly assimilate.

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't care if it gets misunderstood at first... I will always help a small child who looks scared or lost. If I can, I'll call over a salesperson or manager of the store (if we're in that sort of situation).

It probably helps that I look like a very safe, matronly (read "fat") motherly type.

Upvote 0