Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump goes viral after mispronouncing Yosemite

https://twitter.com/i/status/1290702421380018177

President Trump went viral for the wrong reasons on Tuesday when he mispronounced the name of one of America's most famous national parks at a ceremony touting his signature on a major piece of conservation legislation.

Trump tripped up as he tried to speak about the giant sequoia trees of Yosemite National Park. Instead of Yosemite, it sounded as if Trump was saying "yo-Semite."

Maybe he got mixed up and instead enunciated his usual shout out to his son-in-law, "yo, semite."

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....guessing exploring America's national parks was not part of the young Donald's family vacations, otherwise he would have certainly known how to pronounce the name of one of our premier parks.

However, I am grateful this bill was finally passed by the Congress and signed into law.

"....the Great American Outdoors Act provides the necessary funds, dedicating up to $1.9 billion per year for five years to fund deferred maintenance projects identified by the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the Bureau of Indian Education. These infrastructure updates will preserve our most important national treasures and give more American families opportunities to explore the great outdoors."

President Trump Signs the Great American Outdoors Act, Preserving and Protecting our National Parks | The White House

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can’t even begin to express how sad and depressing it is to me to have a President of the United States who can’t pronounce place names within the United States. Much more so a president who just can’t read well in general.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....guessing exploring America's national parks was not part of the young Donald's family vacations, otherwise he would have certainly known how to pronounce the name of one of our premier parks.

However, I am grateful this bill was finally passed by the Congress and signed into law.

"....the Great American Outdoors Act provides the necessary funds, dedicating up to $1.9 billion per year for five years to fund deferred maintenance projects identified by the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the Bureau of Indian Education. These infrastructure updates will preserve our most important national treasures and give more American families opportunities to explore the great outdoors."

President Trump Signs the Great American Outdoors Act, Preserving and Protecting our National Parks | The White House
To really make a dent in the problem we need to separate fire response from the USFS budget. This little sum will probly get eaten up on the fire end in coming years.... and then some.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I can’t even begin to express how sad and depressing it is to me to have a President of the United States who can’t pronounce place names within the United States. Much more so a president who just can’t read well in general.
It’s hard to believe anyone could get to his age and not hear the proper pronunciation of that word.

Good bill, though. No-brainer.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm sure he can pronounce it when speaking it. The question for me is when was the last time he saw it written down.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To really make a dent in the problem we need to separate fire response from the USFS budget. This little sum will probly get eaten up on the fire end in coming years.... and then some.

....good point. The funds are spread across five agencies.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm who knew Yosemite is native american for "Hey jew"?

I'm sure he can pronounce it when speaking it. The question for me is when was the last time he saw it written down.
I can understand having a brain fart while reading a script, particularly one you haven't seen or practiced, and doing it. But the damning thing about it is that he stopped, mid-pronunciation, tried to figure out how to say it, and then just kept going.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is really superficial.... but I always feel a little sad when I go past old peeling rotting national forest signs. Its like we have no pride in our lands or in our collective stewardship of them. Yes, I said the word "collective".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s hard to believe anyone could get to his age and not hear the proper pronunciation of that word.

Good bill, though. No-brainer.
I can understand someone from another country not being aware or if English is a second language to them but it is inexcusable ignorance for an American president to be unaware of the pronunciation of such a well known and heavily visited place within the country. Clearly the man never reads or he would have come across the word earlier in life but even granting that, you would think the context of what he’s talking about would clue him in but, no. We get “Yo-Semite.”

The bill it’s great. The president’s vocabulary, not so much.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Maybe he got mixed up and instead enunciated his usual shout out to his son-in-law, "yo, semite."

I thought it was his favorite cartoon character: Yo-Semite Samuel.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm who knew Yosemite is native american for "Hey jew"?

I can understand having a brain fart while reading a script, particularly one you haven't seen or practiced, and doing it. But the damning thing about it is that he stopped, mid-pronunciation, tried to figure out how to say it, and then just kept going.
I could see a 36 hole Trump golf resort in Yo Semitty valley.

• Haha
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....this is just sad:

It [the bill] was introduced last year by Representative John Lewis, the Georgia Democrat and civil rights leader who passed away last month.

But no Democrats were invited to the signing ceremony, which was attended by six Republican senators and three Republican congressmen, in addition to senior administration officials. Mr. Trump did not mention Mr. Lewis or any of his Democratic colleagues in his remarks.

Mr. Trump was persuaded to support the bill by two Senate Republicans from Western states — Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado and Senator Steve Daines of Montana — who are facing tough re-election battles and saw the measure as helpful to their states and their electoral chances. Mr. Daines and Mr. Gardner met with the president last year and told him that signing the measure would give him a significant conservation legacy.

“That was a meeting that took place, and within about a minute, I was convinced,” Mr. Trump said on Tuesday. “And I wasn’t at all convinced before I walked in.”

Trump Signs Landmark Land Conservation Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amazing how ridiculous and laughable people who don't like our honorable PRESIDENT TRUMP will go to nick pic. I can barely wait for the next laugh.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Amazing how ridiculous and laughable people who don't like our honorable PRESIDENT TRUMP will go to nick pic. I can barely wait for the next laugh.
Not quite as amazing as a 70 year old who’s never seen the word Yosemite written out.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its "nitpick".

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump has been a NY and NJ native for so long...
He really hasn't desired to go anywhere or be anywhere else as long as I can remember.

Sure, he's been to LA a few times...but not anywhere else that I can remember when he wasn't out campaigning.
Somehow, normal people all over the country manage to read the word correctly without ever having traveled to the park. Further than an inability to read simple place names, it’s the fact this president is so unprepared he doesn’t even seem to read his prepared statements ahead of time to avoid looking silly like this to the nation. That, or he’s completely surrounded by yes men who never challenge or correct his mistakes.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0