In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is now the evening of the 18th where I am. As such, it is Yom Kippur.

I've always found the symbolism of the Scapegoat especially poignant to Christ: The parallels to the Crucifixion, the blood spilt in Christ's passion, led into the wilderness, the tearing of the veil of the Holy of Holies as our High Priest dies.

So the last couple of years I've taken to fasting on Yom Kippur and especially look to our Lord's Crucifixion bringing atonement for my sins.

How do you mark the occasion, if at all? I've never understood why the Church didn't celebrate this more. Maybe fear of 'Judaising'?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is now the evening of the 18th where I am. As such, it is Yom Kippur.

I've always found the symbolism of the Scapegoat especially poignant to Christ: The parallels to the Crucifixion, the blood spilt in Christ's passion, led into the wilderness, the tearing of the veil of the Holy of Holies as our High Priest dies.

So the last couple of years I've taken to fasting on Yom Kippur and especially look to our Lord's Crucifixion bringing atonement for my sins.

How do you mark the occasion, if at all? I've never understood why the Church didn't celebrate this more. Maybe fear of 'Judaising'?
We fast as a family and as a congregation. Some do it differently, some don't eat or drink, some don't eat but do drink... etc. But leading up to these days are probably more important. All Feasts as "Appointments" with God, and though we can repent and confess any day, these days are special and are cause to go deeper in our relationship than we normally might. As for what this day means to me... here is a little excerpt from an article I had published:

Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement/Coverture): When translating the bible into English, Tyndale invented a word for Kippur that he thought captured the essence of the meaning; he called it “atonement.” He took the idea of becoming “at one with” God, and thus the word atonement entered our vocabulary. Well, becoming at one with God does capture part of the essence of this day, there is however, more to it.

Historically, all throughout the year, the sins of Israel would be dealt with via the daily sacrifices in the Temple. On Yom Kippur however, the tabernacle would be cleansed and the High Priest would sacrifice a goat to cleanse and atone (cover, but I will come back to this) for his personal sins in preparation to offer two additional goats for the corporate sins of God's Israel. Two goats were chosen by lot: one to be "The Lord's Goat" and offered as the blood sacrifice for the sins of Israel, and the second goat to be the "Azazel" scapegoat to be cast out into the wilderness bearing the sins of God's people (la’azazel can mean “for the entire removal of” or “for the sending away of” and in this case, sins). At that time the high priest confesses the sins of the Children of Israel to YHWH and then places those sins, abstractly, on the head of the Azazel scapegoat. The Azazel is then sent into the desert wilderness, thus, the Children of Israel's sins were "Kippur" (paid for, atoned for, covered… again, I will come back to this) by the scapegoat sacrifices of "The Lord's Goat" and "The Azazel Goat".

This, like “all sacrifices,” never really did the job in the complete sense, but rather pointed at the one who would, could, and did… Messiah Yeshua. His work in assuming our sin was a partial fulfillment of Yom Kippur, the final and full removal of sin will take place, I believe, on a Yom Kippur yet to come. We observe Yom Kippur by recalling and repenting of anything that stands in contrast to God’s will during the days leading up to Yom Kippur, and then by fasting on that day, spending much of it in prayer. It is a solemn time of reflection while realigning, where needed, to God’s instructions.

I personally believe that it is very possible that Yeshua returns on Yom Kippur. If Yom Kippur is when the sin is removed from Israel, which would be a time when Israel is made incorruptible, then it is possible he returns on this day. Paul writes at least twice, and John wrote once, that when we see him we are changed. So, perhaps his return and the lifting of the sin from the bride are tied? I leave that for you to decide.

I mentioned the word “cover,” also “atone” and even the phrase “paid for” as definitions of the word Kippur. I do believe that these words lack when it comes to the essence, and strength, of the word Kippur. Rather than repeat something I have already published, here is the url to an article on this very subject. I really think it will blessed you to read it.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ken-rank/yom-kippur-the-day-of-coverture/10150903688317544

Yom Kippur is likely the day we will be perfected, consummated to the bride groom, perhaps the wedding itself falls on this day.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Many 'churches' never honored the instructions (feasts) of Scripture.
To understand this is something a three year old can do, Yahweh Willing as He Reveals,
but scholars fail at.

When do you think Yahshua Hamashiach Atoned for our sins ? What does Scripture say ?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Many 'churches' never honored the instructions (feasts) of Scripture.
To understand this is something a three year old can do, Yahweh Willing as He Reveals,
but scholars fail at.

When do you think Yahshua Hamashiach Atoned for our sins ? What does Scripture say ?
Usually the Atonement is coupled to the Passion and Crucifixion. One of my favourite theories of Atonement is in fact the Scapegoat theory, that is directly applicable here.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference of opinion regarding the "scapegoat" as Yeshua has never been called "azazel", plus the fact that the goat that "is for God" is sacrificed and makes the atonement for Israel, so the association you make is a stretch ...
Seems uncontroversial to my mind. This seems to be what the book of Hebrews is advocating.

Anyway, the goat isn't called azazel, but is for 'azazel' - for complete removal. Hence caper emmissarius, rendering English scapegoat.
The two goats both remove sins, and in this dual nature Christ's passion can be understood - being both God and Man. Christ taken outside the city into the wilderness, having a scarlet cloak draped over Him, etc. makes it clear to my mind. I am not going to argue the association, as this is not a theology thread, though I certainly don't think it a 'stretch' by any imagination.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Usually the Atonement is coupled to the Passion and Crucifixion. One of my favourite theories of Atonement is in fact the Scapegoat theory, that is directly applicable here.
When two identical goats are brought before the congregation, one is chosen for the scapegoat and received the red thread on its horn. The sacrificed one, chosen for God, is the one atonement is made with. The red thread on the horn of the scapegoat either stays red or turns white according to tradition, signalling that the atonement has been accepted or rejected. Then the sins that once were in the sanctuary will be taken out by the High Priest and laid on the head of the scapegoat as blame for it all, before the whole world it will be on the Satan's head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Atonement is made by both goats.

Lev 16:15 Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat:
Lev 16:16 And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness.

Lev 16:10 But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before YHWH, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.
Yeshua fulfills both goats. The act of laying on of hands (vs.21; also; Lev.1:4; 3:2; 4:4,15,29,33) symbolizes the transference of sins from the guilty party (the children of Israel) to the innocent (azazel). The innocent then becomes the sin-bearer. Yeshua undeniably fulfills the type (Is.53:4,6,11,12). Satan, however, cannot fulfill the type because he is not innocent. It will not satisfy the justice of YHWH to transfer the sins of the guilty to another guilty party. Since lots were used to decide which goat was "for YHWH," it meant that both goats had to be unblemished. The anti-type of an unblemished goat was the sinlessness of Messiah. Can it be said that Satan is sinless and was to be represented by an unblemished goat? Praise YHWH for Yeshua and praise Yeshua for his atoning sacrifice!

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Since God said the priest would make an atonement why did the people start putting a red thread on the scapegoat? Shouldn't they have just taken God at His word?
All I know is that God does work with the way the priests decided to identify the scapegoat and the significance of the thread.
Isaiah 1:18
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums