Yo, why do Catholics call the pope "holy father" when...?

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you want to call me that, than fine, but I do not like to title myself or to categorize myself into any traditions of man other than to call myself a Follower of Christ and a believer in God.

Which bible do you use and how many books does it contain? Your answer will point to what kind of tradition you do follow.

Upvote 0

JesusIsTheSonOfGod

Jesus is the (BEGOTTEN SON) of God. He is the way!
Dec 1, 2012
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which bible do you use and how many books does it contain? Your answer will point to what kind of tradition you do follow.

I told the other person that I use both "King James" and "New International Version," but I usually use the "New International Version" more often than I do with the "King James Version."

The Old Testament contains 39 books and the New Testament contains 27 books.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I told the other person that I use both "King James" and "New International Version," but I usually use the "New International Version" more often than I do with the "King James Version."

The Old Testament contains 39 books and the New Testament contains 27 books.

A 66 book bible marks you as following Protestant tradition because no other tradition counts exactly 66 books in their bibles.

Orthodox have between 73 and 76 depending on how the ones in the appendix are counted, Catholics have 73, Oriental Orthodox and others have number around 73 and above. Obviously your selection of bible tells a story in itself even if you do not fully recognise it.

Upvote 0

JesusIsTheSonOfGod

Dec 1, 2012
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I went on Wikipedia.com to see what Protestants follow. I read like about half of what is being said there and some of what is being said there is not relating to who I am as a follower. So in this case, no I do not fit as a Protestant. I'm more of a God freeing person who sees all believers as lost sheep who needs to be led by their true Shepherd (Jesus Christ). No believer in Christ should be divided against each-other. If It's divided against each-other, it will not stand according to Christ.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I went on Wikipedia.com to see what Protestants follow. I read like about half of what is being said there and some of what is being said there is not relating to who I am as a follower. So in this case, no I do not fit as a Protestant. I'm more of a God freeing person who sees all believers as lost sheep who needs to be led by their true Shepherd (Jesus Christ). No believer in Christ should be divided against each-other. If It's divided against each-other, it will not stand according to Christ.

Do you believe that Jesus asked Peter to Shepherd his sheep?

Jim

Upvote 0

JesusIsTheSonOfGod

Dec 1, 2012
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jim

Yes. Before Jesus death, Jesus asked Him three times, "Peter will you feed my sheep (John 21:15-17)." He asked Him this three times about feeding his sheep because he knew that Peter will not fall away completely, but will receive forgiveness for disowning him, and will grant him to lead his sheep for him after his death.

He took over and lead his 12 disciples. One was replace due to the fact that Judas betrayed Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JesusIsTheSonOfGod

Dec 1, 2012
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jim

Yes. Before Jesus death, Jesus asked Him three times, "Peter will you feed my sheep (John 21:15-17)." He asked him this three times about feeding his sheep because he knew that Peter will not fall away completely, but will receive forgiveness for disowning him, and will grant him to lead his sheep for him after his death.

He took over and lead his 12 disciples. One was replace due to the fact that Judas betrayed Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JesusIsTheSonOfGod

Dec 1, 2012
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
After Peter was granted to lead his sheep, he end up going against Christ word and end up going astray to follow those who were against Christ according to verse Galatians 2:11-21.

READ:

Paul Opposes Peter

Galatians 2:11-21
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

“We who are Jews by birth and not ‘Gentile sinners’ know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

“If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Have you guys read the book of Galatians before? It teaches that the Galatians were relying on circumcision in which no one is saved by being circumcised according to Paul's words. Also, the Galatians were observance of the law, but they did not uphold the law by obeying it. They were relying on their works alone rather than faith in Jesus Christ due to the fact that they rejected the message of the cross since the message of the cross is about dying to the flesh (i.e., putting sin to death). They found the message of the cross to be foolish. That is what the whole book teaches. This is why they had no faith, because they received the gospel in vain by not believing in God's Son "Jesus Christ."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Before Jesus death, Jesus asked Him three times, "Peter will you feed my sheep (John 21:15-17)." He asked Him this three times about feeding his sheep because he knew that Peter will not fall away completely, but will receive forgiveness for disowning him, and will grant him to lead his sheep for him after his death.

And the fact is, Peter and the Apostles chose and trained others to take their place after they died. The Church always had a leader in Peter's place in order to guarantee that the teachings Jesus gave us, would remain true. This was promised by Jesus who said that the Church would be guided by the Holy Spirit, and it's a tradition that has remained in place since Jesus established His Church.

Fact is, if not for the Pope in Rome, the Church would've taken on Aryan beliefs as Christians in the East were heading toward, through force or choice.

When Constantine call for a council to settle the issue, it was the Pope of Rome who won, and it's why we today still believe in Jesus Divinity, death and resurrection.

It would be worth your wild to read about the fathers of the early Church, like St. Ignatius of Antioch and St. Polycarp, both who were disciples of St. John and the auditors of the Gospel of St John. Read what they taught, and you'll see that the Catholic Church still teaches the same.

The Didache is the writing of what the apostles taught, next to Holy Scripture.

In Christ Jesus
Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums