✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Continued from: YHWH's Table (Part 8)

I began this study with the intent to understand what is being brought to YHWH's table, and why. Of particular interest, was how any or all of this relates to Yahshua.

I began this detailed study in Leviticus chapters 1 - 5. I wasn't seeing any deep connection of this related to Yahshua; so I skipped ahead to Leviticus 23. I thought that surely I would find greater understanding of Yahshua's part of YHWH's plan through the Moedim. I suspected that I would begin to get answers when I reached Pesach. I didn't get the answers that I was expecting; so I continued to work through the Moedim, in anticipation of working on Yom Kippurim. I still didn't get the answers that I was looking for. This took some wind out of my sails; and I took a break, from continuing to expand this study, and to take time for contemplation and prayer.

As I went through this study, two verses from the book of Hebrews came to mind; and questions arose in my mind as to how they related to the words of YHWH himself.

(CLV) Hb 10:26
For at our sinning voluntarily after obtaining the recognition of the truth, it is no longer leaving a sacrifice concerned with sins,

We saw in Part 5 of this study, that sins can be pardoned by flour, or even money; but that is for inadvertent sin.

What I have seen so far for intentional sin is quite different. For theft, the offender must pay back more than was stolen. For adultery, the penalty is death.

It appears that Hebrews 10:26 isn't telling us anything new.

(CLV) Hb 9:22
And almost all is being cleansed in blood according to the law, and apart from bloodshedding is coming no pardon.

We have two concepts being conveyed in this verse.

1.) Almost all is being cleansed in blood.

I won't delve into what is, and what is not being cleansed by blood at this time. That would require a much deeper study; and I don't want to digress from the matter at hand.

2.) Apart from bloodshedding is coming no pardon.

What does this mean? Is the author of Hebrews contradicting YHWH himself?

Whenever I see a seeming contradiction in scripture; I understand that it is not scripture that is in contradiction to itself; but it is my misunderstanding of the scripture which has created a contradiction.

So how do we understand this?

Again, a main interest in this study was to understand how YHWH's table relates to Yahshua. I was looking for the answer in the wrong place, because of my misunderstanding. I was waiting for Yom Kippurim to reveal clues concerning those verses from the Book of Hebrews.

I believe that Paul gives us perspective of where to look concerning the preceding verses in this part of this study.

(CLV) 1Co 5:7
Clean out, then, the old leaven, that you may be a fresh kneading, according as you are unleavened. For our Passover also, Christ, was sacrificed for our sakes

Let's revisit YHWH's Table (Part 8)

Pesach is a sacrifice (זבח) zebah; but it is not a sin sacrifice.

So what is it?

In ancient Middle Eastern culture there were various ways that covenants were made. One of them was what is called a Threshold Covenant, which is still practiced in some Middle Eastern cultures to this day. YHWH was speaking to his people in a way that they could relate to their culture. If we don't understand that culture; some points will be lost on us.

(CLV) Jer 31:32
Not like the covenant which I contracted with their fathers in the day I held fast onto their hand to bring them forth from the land of Egypt, which covenant of Mine they themselves annulled while I was Possessor over them, averring is Yahweh.

We see that the covenant was made in the same day that YHWH brought his people out of Egypt.

Here is a picture of an ancient Middle Eastern threshold:

th

Notice the basin, and the narrow trench.

When someone was to invite someone new into their home; they would slaughter an animal at the threshold. Blood would be poured into the basin; which would be used to strike the doorposts. Blood would also flow into the trench.

We see that the word basin is used interchangeably with the word threshold:

H5592 - sap̄ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

To this day, in Middle Eastern cultures, it is considered a grave insult to trample the threshold when entering someone's home. Again, when we understand the culture; we can gain greater understanding of the scripture.

(CLV) Hb 10:29
Of how much worse punishment, are you supposing, will he be counted worthy who tramples on the Son of God, and deems the blood of the covenant by which he is hallowed contaminating, and outrages the spirit of grace?

(CLV) Jn 10:7
Jesus, then, said to them again, "Verily, verily, I am saying to you that I am the Door of the sheep.

By crossing the threshold, he was entering covenant. He was now as a member of the family, and he was under the protection of the Master of the home. He would then dine at the table of the master, on the animal that had been slaughtered in the blood covenant.

The outsider would dine at the table just as a member of the family.

(CLV) Ex 12:46
In one house shall it be eaten. You shall not bring forth any of the flesh from the house to the outside; and a bone in it you shall not break.

(CLV) Ex 12:47
The whole congregation of the sons of Israel, they shall do it.

(CLV) Ex 12:48
In case a sojourner (גר) Ger is sojourning with you, and he makes a passover to Yahweh, every male of his is to be circumcised, and then he may draw near to make it, and he will become as a native of the land. Yet anyone uncircumcised, he shall not eat of it.

(CLV) Ex 12:49
One law shall there be for both the native and for the sojourner sojourning in your midst.

Notice that this passage was not directed at the ( גוי) Goy. It was directed at the (גר) Ger. Through circumcision, and partaking of the Pesach the Ger entered covenant with YHWH, grafted into Israel.

Many newlywed couples find it romantic to have the husband carry his bride across the threshold. Where did this tradition originate? It can be traced back to threshold covenants. The husband would prepare a place of protection for his bride. The husband would carry his bride across the threshold, to ensure that she did trample the threshold of the place that he had prepared for her.

Despite the fact the YHWH said to honor this Moed forever, some say that we no longer need to obey the father; now that we are the bride of Mashiach.

Now what husband would tell his bride, "My love, I've been thinking about our wedding anniversary; and you know, that was long ago; and I just don't see the point in remembering that day anymore?"

What bride would stand for such a declaration?

What would any husband think if his wife said, "Oh, about those anniversary plans you made, well don't be bothered; I've made other plans?"

By entering covenant with YHWH, Israel was told to kill the god of the Egyptians, right in front of them.

See: The Pesach Sheep/Goat Sacrifice

However, before Moses could even deliver the terms of the covenant in writing, Israel had played the harlot, and worshiped another god.

Moses broke those tablets (Compares to shredding the terms of a written contract today) ;as Israel broke that marriage contract in her adultery.

Our loving Elohim gave his bride another chance, and reissued the terms of that contract in writing.

Just as with Israel of old, our past sins are pardoned when we enter covenant. There is no pardon for those not in covenant.

Shabbat Shalom

Back to YHWH's Table (Part 8)

Last edited:

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Continued from: YHWH's Table (Part 8)

I began this study with the intent to understand what is being brought to YHWH's table, and why. Of particular interest, was how any or all of this relates to Yahshua.

I began this detailed study in Leviticus chapters 1 - 5. I wasn't seeing any deep connection of this related to Yahshua; so I skipped ahead to Leviticus 23. I thought that surely I would find greater understanding of Yahshua's part of YHWH's plan through the Moedim. I suspected that I would begin to get answers when I reached Pesach. I didn't get the answers that I was expecting; so I continued to work through the Moedim, in anticipation of working on Yom Kippurim. I still didn't get the answers that I was looking for. This took some wind out of my sails; and I took a break, from continuing to expand this study, and to take time for contemplation and prayer.

As I went through this study, two verses from the book of Hebrews came to mind; and questions arose in my mind as to how they related to the words of YHWH himself.

(CLV) Hb 10:26
For at our sinning voluntarily after obtaining the recognition of the truth, it is no longer leaving a sacrifice concerned with sins,

We saw in Part 5 of this study, that sins can be pardoned by flour, or even money; but that is for inadvertent sin.

What I have seen so far for intentional sin is quite different. For theft, the offender must pay back more than was stolen. For adultery, the penalty is death.

It appears that Hebrews 10:26 isn't telling us anything new.

(CLV) Hb 9:22
And almost all is being cleansed in blood according to the law, and apart from bloodshedding is coming no pardon.

We have two concepts being conveyed in this verse.

1.) Almost all is being cleansed in blood.

I won't delve into what is, and what is not being cleansed by blood at this time. That would require a much deeper study; and I don't want to digress from the matter at hand.

2.) Apart from bloodshedding is coming no pardon.

What does this mean? Is the author of Hebrews contradicting YHWH himself?

Whenever I see a seeming contradiction in scripture; I understand that it is not scripture that is in contradiction to itself; but it is my misunderstanding of the scripture which has created a contradiction.

So how do we understand this?

Again, a main interest in this study was to understand how YHWH's table relates to Yahshua. I was looking for the answer in the wrong place, because of my misunderstanding. I was waiting for Yom Kippurim to reveal clues concerning those verses from the Book of Hebrews.

I believe that Paul gives us perspective of where to look concerning the preceding verses in this part of this study.

(CLV) 1Co 5:7
Clean out, then, the old leaven, that you may be a fresh kneading, according as you are unleavened. For our Passover also, Christ, was sacrificed for our sakes

Let's revisit YHWH's Table (Part 8)

Pesach is a sacrifice (זבח) zebah; but it is not a sin sacrifice.

So what is it?

In ancient Middle Eastern culture there were various ways that covenants were made. One of them was what is called a Threshold Covenant, which is still practiced in some Middle Eastern cultures to this day. YHWH was speaking to his people in a way that they could relate to their culture. If we don't understand that culture; some points will be lost on us.

(CLV) Jer 31:32
Not like the covenant which I contracted with their fathers in the day I held fast onto their hand to bring them forth from the land of Egypt, which covenant of Mine they themselves annulled while I was Possessor over them, averring is Yahweh.

We see that the covenant was made in the same day that YHWH brought his people out of Egypt.

Here is a picture of an ancient Middle Eastern threshold:

th

Notice the basin, and the narrow trench.

When someone was to invite someone new into their home; they would slaughter an animal at the threshold. Blood would be poured into the basin; which would be used to strike the doorposts. Blood would also flow into the trench.

We see that the word basin is used interchangeably with the word threshold:

H5592 - sap̄ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

To this day, in Middle Eastern cultures, it is considered a grave insult to trample the threshold when entering someone's home. Again, when we understand the culture; we can gain greater understanding of the scripture.

(CLV) Hb 10:29
Of how much worse punishment, are you supposing, will he be counted worthy who tramples on the Son of God, and deems the blood of the covenant by which he is hallowed contaminating, and outrages the spirit of grace?

(CLV) Jn 10:7
Jesus, then, said to them again, "Verily, verily, I am saying to you that I am the Door of the sheep.

By crossing the threshold, he was entering covenant. He was now as a member of the family, and he was under the protection of the Master of the home. He would then dine at the table of the master, on the animal that had been slaughtered in the blood covenant.

The outsider would dine at the table just as a member of the family.

(CLV) Ex 12:46
In one house shall it be eaten. You shall not bring forth any of the flesh from the house to the outside; and a bone in it you shall not break.

(CLV) Ex 12:47
The whole congregation of the sons of Israel, they shall do it.

(CLV) Ex 12:48
In case a sojourner (גר) Ger is sojourning with you, and he makes a passover to Yahweh, every male of his is to be circumcised, and then he may draw near to make it, and he will become as a native of the land. Yet anyone uncircumcised, he shall not eat of it.

(CLV) Ex 12:49
One law shall there be for both the native and for the sojourner sojourning in your midst.

Notice that this passage was not directed at the ( גוי) Goy. It was directed at the (גר) Ger. Through circumcision, and partaking of the Pesach the Ger entered covenant with YHWH, grafted into Israel.

Many newlywed couples find it romantic to have the husband carry his bride across the threshold. Where did this tradition originate? It can be traced back to threshold covenants. The husband would prepare a place of protection for his bride. The husband would carry his bride across the threshold, to ensure that she did trample the threshold of the place that he had prepared for her.

Despite the fact the YHWH said to honor this Moed forever, some say that we no longer need to obey the father; now that we are the bride of Mashiach.

Now what husband would tell his bride, "My love, I've been thinking about our wedding anniversary; and you know, that was long ago; and I just don't see the point in remembering that day anymore?"

What bride would stand for such a declaration?

What would any husband think if his wife said, "Oh, about those anniversary plans you made, well don't be bothered; I've made other plans?"

By entering covenant with YHWH, Israel was told to kill the god of the Egyptians, right in front of them.

See: The Pesach Sheep/Goat Sacrifice

However, before Moses could even deliver the terms of the covenant in writing, Israel had played the harlot, and worshiped another god.

Moses broke those tablets (Compares to shredding the terms of a written contract today) ;as Israel broke that marriage contract in her adultery.

Our loving Elohim gave his bride another chance, and reissued the terms of that contract in writing.

Just as with Israel of old, our past sins are pardoned when we enter covenant. There is no pardon for those not in covenant.

Shabbat Shalom

Back to YHWH's Table (Part 8)

Great post Hark. One thing I would like to say though, (which is just my opinion), I don't believe the renewed covenant is the same. I believe the Prophet Yirmeyah gives us clues to this also, as well as I believe that Mosheh also knew about this but only hints at it in the Torah, (when he says, "Is He not your Father?"). I believe the answer may be found in the third chapter of Yirmayah: and "backsliding" is a key indicator that he speaks of the same things as in (what is now) chapter thirty one.

By entering covenant with YHWH, Israel was told to kill the god of the Egyptians, right in front of them. See: The Pesach Sheep/Goat Sacrifice

I wish you would not have posted that in General Theology but I suppose it is what it is. :D

Shalom.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Here is what I was getting at. Notice the change in the language, which starts with "backsliding Yisrael", and becomes "backsliding children", then later "backsliding daughter", (Jeremiah 31:22).

Jeremiah 3:1 = Deuteronomy 24:1-4
Jeremiah 3:4 ~ "Will you not from this time call Me, "Abbi? (my Father)..."
Jeremiah 3:6 ~ "backsliding Yisrael"
Jeremiah 3:8 ~ "backsliding Yisrael"
Jeremiah 3:11 ~ "backsliding Yisrael"
Jeremiah 3:12 ~ "backsliding Yisrael"
Jeremiah 3:13 ~ "acknowledge your iniquity"
Jeremiah 3:14 ~ "Turn, O backsliding children"
Jeremiah 3:19 ~ "But I said, How shall I place you among the sons?...And I said, You shall call Me Abbi (my Father)..."
Jeremiah 31:19 ~ "backsliding daughter"

So then, if the primary covenant is likened to a marriage contract, (and surely it is), then the renewal of the covenant certainly appears to be more like a Bar mitzvah: born anew or from above, then in the milk of the Word, then training up under a schoolmaster, tutors, and governors, then comes the time appointed of the Father when a child becomes a tried, true, and tested-proven son, (Galatians 4:1-2).

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So then, if the primary covenant is likened to a marriage contract, (and surely it is), then the renewal of the covenant certainly appears to be more like a Bar mitzvah: born anew or from above, then in the milk of the Word, then training up under a schoolmaster, tutors, and governors, then comes the time appointed of the Father when a child becomes a tried, true, and tested-proven son, (Galatians 4:1-2).

Here is the way that I see it.

A covenant is a contract.

When a tenant makes a contract to live in the shelter of a landlord; the landlord makes certain demands within that contract. One of those demands might be that the tenant not be allowed to harbor animals, that would defecate, and defile the cleanliness of that shelter.

When the tenant rebels against the terms that he agreed to; the landlord is forced to terminate the contract with that tenant.

The landlord seeks to find a new tenant, to renew his contract for his shelter with a new tenant.

The new tenant must agree to the same terms of not polluting the purity of the shelter.

Upvote 0