Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is the holiest name for God that there is. It is so holy in fact, that when Jewish scribes wrote it when copying the Old Testament, they would throw their pen away, drop what they were doing, take a bath, make sure that ALL of their sins were confessed and forgiven, go back, and write that name with a new pen.

Upvote 0

Silent Enigma

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2004
The upper midwest, out in the woods.
Visit site
✟10,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
twistedsketch said:
That is the holiest name for God that there is. It is so holy in fact, that when Jewish scribes wrote it when copying the Old Testament, they would throw their pen away, drop what they were doing, take a bath, make sure that ALL of their sins were confessed and forgiven, go back, and write that name with a new pen.

Yeah, they got pretty extreme.

The places in the bible where it says LORD in all caps, it is "Yhwh" or "Yahweh" (Hebrew didn't have vowels) in the original text. I guess they translated it "LORD" so it would make sense to the average reader.

Also, FYI, "Yhwh" is never used un the new testament, even when they quote the old testament, which I've always found interesting.

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
YAHWEH [H3363, H3378] (He who is [I am] or He who causes to be) . The Hebrew personal name for God, Yahweh, is translated in the NIV as LORD. God revealed his name as "I AM WHO I AM," his eternal covenant name implying self-existence and saving presence (Ex 3:14-17). YHWH is often called the "tetragrammaton," referring to the "four letters" or consonants of Yahweh. See God, Names of, Yahweh; Jehovah.

and to echo what twisted stated the Hebrews held this name so sacred that would not even pronounce it, much less spell it (unless they were the scribes in charge of copying the texts).

Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟11,948.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Tenorvoice said:
(unless they were the scribes in charge of copying the texts).

Even then the common practise was they would drop whatever pen they had, go & take a complete bath, confess all their sins, get a brand new pen & then write down the word.

That's what I heard anyway... :doh:

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
saddleup4jesus said:
My neighbor has YHWH on her mailbox. Who/what is yhwh? I googled it and I think I'm more confused than before, HAHA!

Chris

YHWH (the technical term for this is the 'tetragrammaton' - the four letters that make up the 'name' of God) is God's name. The English translation of YHWH is 'I AM' - a reference to the fact that God is Eternal [i.e God exists outside of time therefore there is no 'past' for God and no 'future' either. For God it is always NOW - hence 'I AM', not 'I WAS' or 'I WILL BE'.]

The name YHWH applies equally to all three Persons of the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit, since they are all part of the One Being who is God and therefore all entitled to be called YHWH.

The name of God [YHWH] is absolutely holy to Jews and so they rarely, if ever, use or speak it. Instead, they replace the tetragrammaton (the four letters) with the word Adonai which translates as Lord or 'Ha B'shem' which means 'he of the Name' (another way of referring to God without mentioning his most holy name).

Following this lead the translators of the various versions of the New Testament would replace the tetragrammaton with the word LORD (all capital letters) to signify the name of God or they would in some instances translate it into English instead (cf. Ex.3:14).

Hope this helps?

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
saddleup4jesus said:
My neighbor has YHWH on her mailbox. Who/what is yhwh? I googled it and I think I'm more confused than before, HAHA!

Chris

Sounds like your neighbor is either a messianic believer (Jewish believer in Yeshua/Jesus), or into the Hebrew Roots movement. An orthodox Jew wouldn't put the name, Yahweh, on her mailbox.

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tavita said:
Sounds like your neighbor is either a messianic believer (Jewish believer in Yeshua/Jesus), or into the Hebrew Roots movement. An orthodox Jew wouldn't put the name, Yahweh, on her mailbox.

You are right here.

But I have "YHWY IS" on my license plate, and use it as a witnessing tool, since not to many people actually know what it means. WHich is GOD IS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iron Lion

Veteran
Feb 18, 2004
✟2,649.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
just because its not ment to, dosent mean it cant be.

You think every jewish person respects God? or even believes in God?

Thats like saying all americans believe in God.

If i gave you a really bad swear world that you wouldnt say. You would still know how to say it. But you choose to not say it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.