Jun 27, 2007
in the city
✟11,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bear with me
I know that there has been so many questions about baptism, but I just needed to ask my own

so here we go

I am a some what new Christian
I mean, I was brought up in a Christian Family, back slided when I was in my teens, met my husband, who was a Christian, believed again, but didn't so it in the open ( I know I know my bad :tutu: )
Thought I was a Christian, but I so wasn't...
Walked into a new church one day, and was healed... Gave my heart my all to Jesus, and asked him to forgive me of all my sins...
I feel now that I have truly repent, of my sins, I am now reading the bible daily, prayer daily, putting God frist... Having a personal relationship with Christ.
And our church is have a baptism coming up in the next month, I really want to do this... I have never been baptised before.
I told my husband, and I kind of got the impression that he thinks that, before you are baptised you must be hmmmmmmmmmmm how can I put this?????
You should be real with GOD??
IYKWIM??? :confused:
It is almost like he says that, before you are baptised, you should look at yourself frist, because it is a serious thing...
But then, I'm thinking
well, isn't, accepting Jesus, what is all about??? You accept Jesus and you Repent...
I kind of get the feeling that he thinks that before anyone gets baptised, you should do a bible study on it, and measure yourself, to see weather or not you are worthy???
Doesn't that beat the purpose???
I mean, we will at one time or another make mistakes in our Christian walk. We are not perfect, and we all fall short of the gorly of God.

Does anyone have any answers?? and bible verses to back it up???
I have a few on hand, as my husband and I will talk more about it in the weekend.

Just need more info...

oh and if anyone has been baptised lately.. can you share?

TIA

bunced

Apr 4, 2007
✟5,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Well if Baptism is based on us being worthy, we may as well start filling in the baptistries now, cos very few are going to make the grade.

Fortunately, Jesus comes down the road to meet us where we're at rather than waiting for us to walk up to him.

Be baptised and enjoy it :)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheRiver

Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Kokomo, Indiana USA
✟18,586.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus told the Apostles to "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy SPirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:28-30,NKJV)

So, baptism in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is to be done as a part of the process of living discipleship. Given that, how did the Apsotles apply this truth?

The answer is in the Book of Acts. As but one example, on the Day of Pentecost, (Acts 2) when people wanted to know what to do in response to Peter's sermon, he said "repent and be baptized...and you will receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit..." (vrs 38)

Therefore, baptism, which is our participation in the death, burial, and ressurection of Jesus Christ, happens at the beginning of our life of discipleship. We are then intended to live into, grow into, learn into, this act of God all of our lives. That's what being a disciple is.
That's also why baptism should always be the act of a Christian community...with the newly baptized person then being discipled in that community.

In short, respond to God by being baptized, and then live into that response all of your life!

Michael

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, isn't, accepting Jesus, what is all about??? You accept Jesus and you Repent...
And then you get baptised!

I see no reason for you not to be baptised, although some churches may want you to get some teaching first.

Acts 8:34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" 37 Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

Upvote 0

RevRicneck

Online Minister
May 28, 2007
SouthWest Missouri
Visit site
✟7,692.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Baptism marks the beginning of public discipleship not the end of private devotion

I think this is so true, thats one reason I like for a person to wait a couple weeks at least to get some scripture in them.
:preach:

Upvote 0

TeAroha

Jesus... The Name Above All
Jun 27, 2007
in the city
✟11,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is so true, thats one reason I like for a person to wait a couple weeks at least to get some scripture in them.
:preach:
I agree too

my husband and I sopke again, tonight, and he fully supports me on this.

Our church will be doing one next week.

I have and will countinue to study it more...

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree too

my husband and I sopke again, tonight, and he fully supports me on this.

Our church will be doing one next week.

I have and will countinue to study it more...
I have a different take on this, maybe it'll help.

Baptism is a sign -- but not just a symbol, or illustration. It's more like a signature on a human contract.

The government has instituted signatures to show you're in earnest in adopting a child, for instance, and that sign calls the government to reinforce your commitment. You might be entirely in earnest about achild you haven't signed up to. But the government doesn't publicly show this. You don't have the government's recognition of yours or the child's changed status (as in the case of "adoptive parent" or "spouse" or even "citizen" (through naturalization)). You haven't made the visible connection with others in the family.

Shift this to baptism. God instituted baptism. It shows He's in earnest about your adoption, and calls on Himself and His people, the church, to reinforce your relationship with Him. You may be entirely in earnest about Christ, and not be baptized. As a believer you are treated as a son by Him, it's true. But God doesn't publicly sign up to you until Baptism. Yet you don't have God's visible recognition of your changed status before Him. You don't have the visible connection with others in the family God has instituted.

God thinks visibility is important -- not something that causes your faith or your salvation, no. But an important outcome of your faith and salvation.

Upvote 0

HisGrace58

† Washed White as Snow by the Blood of Jesus †
Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
✟23,921.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus told the Apostles to "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy SPirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:28-30,NKJV)

So, baptism in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is to be done as a part of the process of living discipleship. Given that, how did the Apsotles apply this truth?

The answer is in the Book of Acts. As but one example, on the Day of Pentecost, (Acts 2) when people wanted to know what to do in response to Peter's sermon, he said "repent and be baptized...and you will receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit..." (vrs 38)

Therefore, baptism, which is our participation in the death, burial, and ressurection of Jesus Christ, happens at the beginning of our life of discipleship. We are then intended to live into, grow into, learn into, this act of God all of our lives. That's what being a disciple is.
That's also why baptism should always be the act of a Christian community...with the newly baptized person then being discipled in that community.

In short, respond to God by being baptized, and then live into that response all of your life!

Michael

I second that! Amen! :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.