OBX
✟47,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you a Christian that is aghast at such a statement? That a Christian can believe in unicorns? That fantasy horse with a horn? Are you for real? The naysayers lump God in with unicorns and other fantasy creatures. Let's delve into this matter and learn how we can respond to the atheists and jokers of the world. By the way, this forum has discussed unicorns in past years but I think it's important for all Christians to use science in support of Christian apologetics.

First, a list of 9 verses in the Holy Bible that mentions unicorns [KJV]. Why Does The Bible Mention Unicorns? | Creation Today

Secondly, a video that offers support that unicorns once existed and still does.

Thirdly, a picture of such a creature, alive and well. http://www.animalfactguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/indianrhino2.jpg

Reactions: Sarah G

Stagnate77

Dec 17, 2017
Danville
✟7,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A wild Ox is a Unicorn = uni meaning 1, but not meaning 1 horn, it means a solitary Ox, = One Horn

I thought it meant one horn, and thus was referring to something along the lines of a rhinoceros. I guess what you know makes sense too...

Upvote 0

AarontheStudent

שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם
Jul 24, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A wild Ox is a Unicorn = uni meaning 1, but not meaning 1 horn, it means a solitary Ox, = One Horn

So you're saying Christians should believe in wild oxen, not unicorns. I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also, If I'm correct, hebrew doesn't say unicorn. I think it says "beast with one horn". These words may not be verbatim, but it still makes a point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

See my post #6 above. CJB = Complete Jewish Bible

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The use of these terms goes back to the translation choices made by the Jewish scholars who translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek, producing the Septuagint, in about the second century B.C.. The translators of the Septuagint were faced with a problem of how to render obscure Hebrew words for animals into Greek with no exact equivalent. When they thought that the use of the term was literal, they used Greek words for ordinary animals. But when they thought the Hebrew was allegorical, they used Greek words for mythical creatures. So, for example, in Isaiah 13:21, where the NRSV today uses the word goat-demons to render the Hebrew, the translators of the Septuagint used the Greek word “saturos,” or satyr. (I’m relying on the scholarship of others – I don’t read Hebrew myself – but I’m told the underlying Hebrew term means something like, “wild or chaotic animals,” with nuances of evil and uncleanness). Other similar terms used in the Septuagint were the Greek words for sirens and donkey-centaurs.

Unicorns in particular are used to translate the Hebrew re’em, which modern scholars think most likely referred to the wild ancestor of modern domestic cattle, Bos primigenius. This species is thought to have become extinct at about the time of King David, so would have been known but already semi-mythical to the later writers and editors of Biblical text. It was bigger and heavier than domestic cattle, and regarded as untameable and dangerous. The Greeks believed that there was a real animal which they called a unicorn (“monokeros“). Although it was one-horned, and therefore not an exact match for the mental image of a re’em, it was big, bovine (they thought of it more as a massive goat-like thing than our modern conception of a horse with a horn), and exotic, and I guess close enough for the translators of the Septuagint to agree that it was a reasonably close term when they were scratching their heads for the Greek equivalent of re’em.

Then, centuries later, when the translators of the King James Version sought to produce the best possible English translation of the Bible, they used the Septuagint as a reference point for some of these obscure terms. Relying on the allegorical interpretation of the scholars who had produced the Septuagint, they echoed their use of both satyrs and unicorns, preserving the use of these terms in English.

(Copied from here: Unicorns, satyrs and centaurs, oh my! )

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The writers of the KJV were mostly British and in heraldry the use of mythological creatures like the unicorn and the dragon were common. The Enlish coat of arms is below:

Royal+Coat+of+Arms+(Variant+2)+-+English+Heraldry+-+Peter+Crawford.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The wild ox (unicorn) referred to in scripture is almost certainly the Aurocks, the ancestor of modern cattle. The last known one in the wild was killed by a Polish nobleman on his hunting estate in the sixteenth century. Efforts are being made to "back breed" them. Results so far are promising:
th

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
According to Webster's 1828 dictionary, unicorn refers to the rhinoceros.

Stop using the KJV. It has outdated language and is not based on the most reliable manuscripts.
Yeah right.

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The wild ox (unicorn) referred to in scripture is almost certainly the Aurocks, the ancestor of modern cattle. The last known one in the wild was killed by a Polish nobleman on his hunting estate in the sixteenth century. Efforts are being made to "back breed" them. Results so far are promising:
th
Now that's a bunch of Bull!

Upvote 0