YECs and Tar Pits

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I was thinking about tar pits, recently, and did a little digging about them.

Tar pit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tar pits are interesting natural occurrences, where subterranean bitumen leaks to surface and creates a giant lake of deadly asphalt. Anything that gets stuck in these lakes is pretty much dead - animals can't get out, they die of exposure and starvation, they die, they sink. Someone one more knowledgeable like RickG can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my basic understanding.

What's interesting here is that it basically makes tar pits sort of a fossil maker. We've found about a million fossils thanks to them.

https://student.societyforscience.org/article/south-americas-sticky-tar-pits

But the funny thing is, we don't just find ANY fossils in these things, we find fossils from the Pleistocene epoch and upwards. This makes sense in an old earth - the traps only formed in the Pleistocene Epoch, so naturally, only animals that lived during that time would get caught in them.

In a young-earth, though, I'm curious how this would work. Why, out of the millions of animals caught in these traps, are there only animals we find in Pleistocene strata and upwards? Why have we never found any dinosaurs or animals that are often found with dinosaurs in this strata? No T-Rexs, no compsognathus, no triceratops. To the best of my knowledge, nothing like that has ever been found in a tar pit - why is that?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In a young-earth, though, I'm curious how this would work. Why, out of the millions of animals caught in these traps, are there only animals we find in Pleistocene strata and upwards?
Um ... because other animals were smart enough to stay away from them?

Perhaps the types of animals found therein had a reason to be snooping around them?

Why is it only squirrels and rodents are found in swimming pools and artificial ponds?

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Um ... because other animals were smart enough to stay away from them?

Nope.

Perhaps the types of animals found therein had a reason to be snooping around them?

Nope.

Why is it only squirrels and rodents are found in swimming pools and artificial ponds?

Not even true.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have. And I found things besides rodents and squirrels (which ARE rodents, by the way) in it.
Good -- then I hope I have made my point.

Assuming everything should have moseyed into an asphalt lake and/or assuming anything that did mosey into one didn't have the ability to get out, makes poor evidence for evolution, IMO.

I forget who said it here, but one or two have made the point that even if we didn't have a fossil record, evolution would still stand.

So I'm not sure what this thread is all about ... other than to act like YECs should be stumped.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Good -- then I hope I have made my point.

Nope.

Assuming everything should have moseyed into an asphalt lake and/or assuming anything that did mosey into one didn't have the ability to get out

I assumed no such thing. Learn to read.

So I'm not sure what this thread is all about

Then you shouldn't have said anything.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Bye.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But the funny thing is, we don't just find ANY fossils in these things, we find fossils from the Pleistocene epoch and upwards. This makes sense in an old earth - the traps only formed in the Pleistocene Epoch, so naturally, only animals that lived during that time would get caught in them.
This argument works for the entire geologic column. The fossil record conforms beautifully to the principle of faunal succession no matter where you're looking or what taxa you deal with. The fossil record is very very heavily sorted - science explains this by saying that it's sorted with respect to time, YECs have absolutely no explanation.

The research I'm doing for my dissertation is completely dependent on the reality of faunal succession. If all vertebrate animals who have ever lived all coexisted 6,000 years ago then the patterns I look at every day would not exist. You wouldn't see an orderly change from one fauna to another over time, it would be a giant jumbled mess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a pool and once found a dead cat in it.
But you didn't find every other type of animals in it, did you?

Some animals that landed in the pool could easily escape, couldn't they?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
But you didn't find every other type of animals in it, did you?

Some animals that landed in the pool could easily escape, couldn't they?
Sure and others couldn't. On what basis are you attempting to imply that all dinosaurs could escape the tar pits when similarly sized mammals couldn't?

BTW, the most common animal fossils found in the La Brea tar pits are dire wolves, saber-toothed cats, and coyotes. All much larger than "squirrels and rodents".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure and others couldn't. On what basis are you attempting to imply that all dinosaurs could escape the tar pits when similarly sized mammals couldn't?
I didn't say that, did I?
BTW, the most common animal fossils found in the La Brea tar pits are dire wolves, saber-toothed cats, and coyotes. All much larger than "squirrels and rodents".
You don't get it, do you?

Here's part of the OP again:
You're dating the tar pits from what is found in them, and dating what is found in them by the tar pits.

The argument is based on the assumption that no human, no rabbits, and no barbecue grills or automobiles have been found in these tar pits.

And that's assuming scientists would even report something found therein that goes against evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you trying to use the YEC circular reasoning argument?
I'm just pointing out why I'm not buying that argument for evolution.

(And I'm not even a YEC.)

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
(And I'm not even a YEC.)

Yes you are. You believe that the earth was created only 6,000 years ago, therefore, a "young" earth. The only difference in your idea and that of YEC's is that God deliberately planted everything with specific ages and characteristics to make it all look old.

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0