✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
this is the particular posting i'm responding to:

Still, I personally believe that it is fair to call a theory "evolutionary" if it relies on natural processes (as opposed to miracles) -- which tend to occur over longer periods of time. When I call something "evolutionary", I am primarily addressing the natural/uniformitarian vs. miraculous/instantaneous paradigm, and not so much the millions of years vs. thousands of years paradigm. Do you see what I mean?

but the issue comes up a lot, although it seems to change shape a little bit each time

for instance:

I think of this as the YECist preference for the miraculous. it isn't enough that God created everything, that He watches over everything with Providence and care, but that He has to supernaturally manipulate it at frequent intervals to be sure He is still boss and can do so.

It seems to be tied to the dispensationalist and charasmatic and premill origins of much of the YECist community. who in their doctrine of the church minimize the normal means of grace to concentrate on the extraordinary, like tent revival meetings rather than the careful long term preaching of the word.

The preference for the spashy, for the colorful, for the emotional and revivalistic. the preference for the miraculous.

the miracles in sCripture are always tied to words that describe and give them significance.

go read H.Van Till's "fully gifted creation" for a Christian explanation of the opposition position.
from: http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=23542550&postcount=9

i wrote this awhile back on the topic, still working on it. perhaps the discussion here will add to it.
our bias towards the extraordinary
In my reading on the creation-evolution-design (CED) debate a pattern is emerging.

That is our bias towards expecting the extraordinary to delineate the hand of God. The young earth creationists (YEC) prefer a God who operates in mysterious, miraculous ways while theistic evolutionists (TE) talk about providence and the ordinary natural ways that God supports creation. Just as our eyes are naturally tuned towards movement, our minds appear to be biased to try to explain things in terms of the extraordinary. People don't seem to have patience for the slow, methodological pace of science, preferring the 'talk show equivalent' of pseudoscience with miracles in every pocket and the so-called unexplainable a constant theme. (think X-files mentality)

Part of the systematic theme of the desacralization of nature has been to rid the natural world of indwelling spirits. Personalities shaped like ours, to allow things to move with the determinism that we see in ourselves and our fellow humans, as an explanatory principle for purposefulness. Science continues this at first a religious task, and now a secular one, to 'normalize', to make ordinary the natural world. And in doing so making the God of the Gaps inhabit ever small, ever less significant gaps.

But the Christian God is a God of the ordinary. To our physical eyes, Jesus was an ordinary man, it is the significance of his life, birth, death that is given meaning in the NT. But he didn't glow, he didn't have a halo over his head, he was ordinary. He didn't land in a flying saucer in the midst of Rome or Jerusalem. He was born, like every other human being. Everywhere God wants us to see the extraordinary, He needs to tell us about it. He needs to use words to tell us the significance and meaning of this ordinary looking events--- Jesus as healer, for instance, substantiates his calling. But like the Pentecostals we would rather see the extraordinary, speaking in tongues, rolling on the floor, barking or shouting, as signs of God. Not the ordinary in listening and internalizing a sermon, displaying little to no outward signs of change until the time for a decision comes. The YEC would propose that God who supernaturally creates 'kinds' is a greater, or more visual, or more worthwhile God than the one seen by TE's who proposes this ordinary providential ordering of the world.

This is where our biases seem to push the conversation, we are not content to read the 'Book of Works', to see the utter contingency of the natural world. But rather we wish to mix huge amounts of miracle with the natural, somehow to preserve the domain of a supernatural God. God doesn't need our help, the world is His, the natural as well as the supernatural, just because we learn somethings about the natural world, doesn't mean it is any less His. It is our arrogance to believe that understanding casts out the Creator, and trying to fight that arrogance by claiming mystery is foolish. Our mistake is to think that our understanding captures the object of our thought and gives us the ability to command it, in the same way that we can manipulate the things we find to do our bidding. We are impressed at the utility and power of our ideas, we look at pictures of atomic bomb blasts and think our physics controls the reactions, we ought not to.

For this is where the secular make a mistake, to believe that their understanding denies God's involvement. That once physics and astronomy showed that heaven wasn't up or out there, that it must be nowhere. That their understanding as a sphere of influence pushes God out of that sphere. They are a lot like the YEC believing that only the extraordinary mirror the supernatural, that only the miracles prove God and since we know there are no miracles then...

I may look at a tree and be amazed that the color green is ("Chlorophylls (Chls) represent a group of tetrapyrrole pigments found in photosynthetic organisms that contain magnesium (Mg) as the centrally chelated metal and contain a fifth five*membered ring" from: http://metallo.scripps.edu/PROMISE/CHLMAIN.html) as i often do. But the beauty is not decreased through this knowledge but rather greatly increased as i am aware that people like me worked on the ideas and wrote lots of neat books on the things they found by looking at trees, grinding up the leaves and studying the pieces.

I can read the poem:

Trees.
1. I believe that there is nothing in this
whole universe that compares with
the sublime beauty of a tree.
2. I think that I shall never see
a poem lovely as a tree;
3. A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
4. A tree that looks at God all day,
and lifts her leafy arms to pray;
5. A tree that may in summer wear
a nest of robins in her hair;
6. Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
7. A tree that provides refreshing shade
to all creatures on hot summer days;
8. A tree that provides heavenly fruit
to all creatures without even being asked;
9. A tree that provides sweet honey
to the dainty butterfly;
10. A tree that provides shelter
to the fireflies glittering in darkness;
11. A tree that heralds spring
with its sweet smelling flowers;
12. A tree that became coal for man's use;
13. A tree that made the soil fertile
with the leaves and branches it sheds;
14. A tree that protects the topsoil with its roots;
15. A tree that brings water from the deep folds
of Mother Earth and hands it to the clouds;
16. A tree that produces life-sustaining oxygen;
17. A tree that is the main pillar of the cycle of life;
18. A tree that dances in the gentle breeze;
19. A tree who intimately lives with rain.
20. Poems are made by fools like me,
But God, only you can create a tree.

from: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~murty/techhype2/node11.html

and appreciate the beauty of the poem and the tree. But i don't want to dwell in the world at the level of the poetry but do the hard work of science to see what is under that hood of this world. I do not understand, nor do i support this fear of science on the part of the YEC, it seems so badly misplaced.

And this is where my thinking on the ordinariness of the faith leads. It is God's world, He works through means, it is these ordinary things which have beauty and echo the thoughts of their Creator. We do not need, nor must we expect miracles around every corner to substantiate God, for He is here among us in the ordinary.

and lead back to the traditional paradox of Transcendence and Immanence.

TC wrote me his comment while i was reading _Perspectives on an Evolving Creation_ in particular, chapter "Is the Universe Evolving?" by H. Van Till. I had scanned ahead to the next chapter "Special Providence and Genetic Mutation: A New Defense of Theistic Evolution" by Robert Russell and delayed my response to his very succinct and important comment until i had finished the book and thought about these two chapters in particular. I'd like to start my explanation by looking at Van Till's argument.

He defines on pg 323:
The Robust Formational Economy Principle (RFE Principle): The formational economy of the universe is sufficiently robust to make possible the actualization of all of the types of physical structures (atoms, molecules, starts, planets, and the like) and all of the forms of living organisms that have appeared in the course of the universes's formational history.

Usually i refrain from introducing new terminology to make a point, i'd rather not be accused of solving a problem with a definition. I tried to think about presenting his ideas in terms of methodological versus philosophic naturalism but was unable to really make the point as stronger as Van Till does, so please forgive the definition creation and bear with the argument.

He asks two big questions about the RFE principle: is it true? does naturalism own the principle?
And it is how he answers both that got my attention:
To demonstrate that it is true requires knowledge well beyond our current science. But to show it is false is simply the 'holy grail' of YEC, to show a miracle scientifically. Likewise his answer to the second question is very interesting. The YEC would allow naturalism to own the RFE principle, essentially saying that their viewpoint requires that God created the universe with deliberate gaps in it's abilities. The fact that naturalism requires the RFE principle to be true as a necessary condition (not sufficient naturalism requires the absence of a providental God as well as a 'ex nihilo' creative one) leads Christians to a false position that to attack the philosophy of naturalism requires the denial of RFE, in Van Till's words "I find wholly unacceptable: choosing to reject the RFE principle simply because the preachers of naturalism have staked a claim of ownership for this important concept." (pg 324) Again in Van Till's words "So it would seem to follow that, since naturalism is the enemy of Christian theism, we should reject all of its assumptions, including the assumption that the universe conforms to the RFE principle." (pg 327)

It is while under the influence of Van Till's thinking here that i read TC's words:
"which
> required a subtle God who talked in the whisper, not
> the storm - and for whom miracles where mostly
> infrequent or very subtle, and my understanding of
> New Testament christianity which led me to expect
> frequent and obvious miraculous interventions for
> those who believe. "

and realized that it is this gap between methodological and philosophic materialism/naturalism where the idea of the possibility of miracles versus their probability and even essentialness to certain ways of looking at the faith becomes a big issue. How do we, as orthodox Christians EXPECT God to operate in this world? We have to look at Scripture, we have to look at the universe to see how HE REALLY did do it. This is the radically continguent nature of God and the universe. We do not have the luxury of the ancient Greeks, to sit back and just intellectually ruminate about things, for God could do whatever He chooses to do, HE is not constrainted by anything outside of Himself. The problem is that the Scriptures are full of miracles and things contrary to what we would describe as the rules/laws of physics/nature. This interventionism prejudices us towards seeing the same thing in the universe when we take up the task of science. This is what i describe as 'our bias toward the extraordinary'.

I think this is why J.P.Moreland says something like 'methodological naturalism is provisional atheism', the denial that we can hold a principle without eventually swallowing the whole philosophy which is build by the extension of the method. He wants to be open to seeing miracles or not-expected interventionism on the behalf of God. What i see is a spectrum of possible ways we can relate to this expectation of miracles. We can expect and see them everywhere, something like those living with Jesus and attributing healing to conqueroring demons. I would put the Pentecostal expectation of speaking in tongues into this area. Not just to allow miracles but to expect them, in ways that contradict science. At the far other end would be deism with it's notion of a God who started it all and left. What i see is lots of stable positions between the two. Van Till would be very nearby the deists, with God's providence hidden in human minds, quantum physics indeterminism, the original creatio ex nihilo. The YEC would be very near the Pentecostal expectation of continuous interference in the natural order, God creates new kinds constantly.

What TC's fundamental complaint is that we take the culture of the Bible, with its pre-scientific notions of demons and miraculous healing and look for the same issues played out in the same way today. And make that tie to the interventionism of God into the normal universe a crucial element of the faith. So that you divide the issue so that scientific analysis with its methodology of naturalism is opposed to religious miracles. It is this strong tie that i deny. God's providence underlies the world so that moment to moment His very Word sustains the materials of this physical world. Now can i make scientific claims with this belief? Probably not, nor would i care to. But rather than be so focused on the miracles of God i'd rather look at providence and sustaining as the issues.

this is a blog entry of mine at:
http://rmwilliamsjr.livejournal.com/90847.html

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I understand you correctly, rmwilliamsll, you've made a very good point indeed.

It is definitely true that with popular YECist arguments, "miracle" = "work of God" while "natural evolutionary process" = "absence of God".

This is a reflection of an underlying deistic rather than theistic worldview. To the deist, God is inteventionist only when he makes a mountain suddenly appear out of thin air. To the theist, God is just as interventionist if he builds a mountain over millions of years using "natural" geological forces.

Reactions: rmwilliamsll
Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Like I elaborated elsewhere (in my reply to the CForums post rmswilliams refers to) I just can't wrap my head around how scientism and the preference to the miraculous seem to coexist in the YEC thought frame. What I'm thinking about is perhaps given the line down the middle of science between "acceptable science" and "unacceptable science", a corollary of how they define it is that acceptable science somehow glorifies God where unacceptable science vilifies God.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to have to bookmark that blog, a lot of interesting points in the discussion. When I first became interested in Creationism as a part of Christian apologetics I was getting aquainted with a lot of different Pentecostals/Charismatics. They wholeheartedly believe in the miracles of tongues, prophecy, healing in their midst but they had no doctrine I was aware of regarding Genesis as 'special creation by divine fiat'. The ecstatic speach that is the mark of the Pentecostal/Charismatic experience was very different from the miracle at Pentecost. What you have to realize is that the pattern of a miracle in redemptive history, whether the confusion of tongues at Bable or the miracle of tounges in the New Testament follow definite patterns. The point is what passes for a miracle in the modern world and what the Bible describes as an epocal event in redemptive history are two very different things.

There is something of a paradox here between God's divine providence and miracles (dunamis 'power, inherent ability' Acts 2:22, Heb. 2:4) that confirm the revelation going out. These miracles (signs, wonders and mighty deeds) surround special periods of new revelation, particularly Moses and Joshua (Levetical laws), Elijah and Elisha (the prophetic period), Christ and the Apostles (foundation of the Church). At other times miracles happened but were not as common as they were in these times. It should be noted that in the ages marked by extraodinary miracles unbelief tended to rampant and genuine faith almost rare.

Do we expect a miracle as part of our salvation comparable to one in redemptive history? Sure we do, here is an Old Testament that has a New Testament conterpart. For the building of the tabernacle Bezalel was gifted by the 'Spirit of God':

"And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and all manner of workmanship." (Exodus 31:3)

"And He Himself (Christ) gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangeltists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ." (Ephesians 4:11-13)

The only difference between the two ministries is that the former made an earthly tabranacle and the latter a spiritual one. New Testament gifts are no less supernatural, I used to ask people if they believed the Gospel when discussing miracles. Invariably they would answer sure I do, I would then tell them that that is a miracle, it is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that you trust Christ for your salvation and walk in Him, bearing fruit to the glory of the Father.

For this is where the secular make a mistake, to believe that their understanding denies God's involvement. That once physics and astronomy showed that heaven wasn't up or out there, that it must be nowhere. That their understanding as a sphere of influence pushes God out of that sphere. They are a lot like the YEC believing that only the extraordinary mirror the supernatural, that only the miracles prove God and since we know there are no miracles then...

Galileo built a telescope that could magnify the 'heavens' 35X. The heavens were considered sacred and therefore perfect (note Galileo used astrology to diagnose medical conditions). What he discovered looking through his telescope was that there were mountains and valleys on the moon. At the time that was tantaumont to saying he saw a pimple on the Virgin Mary. By the way, Galileo did not go to the Inquisition for contradicting Scripture. Galileo was on trial for contradicting Aristotle and challenging the authority of the RCC. At this time, throughout scientific history continuing up tell the late 19th century the origin of the universe and life was attributed to God. Now the very mention of God draws down the anathama of secular scientists, branding creationism and intelligent design psuedo-science is the same as calling it a willfull deception. Having been called a liar fool and worse for YEC views I have found this to me the case and the prevailing view of YEC.

"The Robust Formational Economy Principle (RFE Principle): The formational economy of the universe is sufficiently robust to make possible the actualization of all of the types of physical structures (atoms, molecules, starts, planets, and the like) and all of the forms of living organisms that have appeared in the course of the universes's formational history."

I cannot see the difference between this and methodological naturalism. It only differs slightly from Darwinism and the Theory of Evolution in that they do not go beyond the emergance of the first living cells. The theory of evolution is a living theory and has nothing to do with life from inanimate matter. Notice the sweeping generalities and transendant attributes attributed to materialistic 'physical structures'. This kind of transendance is metaphysics, it is a poor application of scientific knowledge from physics and biology and terrible theology.

One last thing, identifying YEC as within the same catagory commits the same fallacy of equivication that the theory of evolution does. Pentecostals/Charismatics speak in ecstatic speach thought to be the same as historical tounges, however, they are very different. Evolutionists equivicate the Theory of Evolution as science (empirical, demonstrated, directly observed phenomenon) with natural history. I agree that you can accept part of methodological naturalism without swallowing it whole. I do accept evolution as 'the change of alleles in populations over time' but not the transendant single common ancestory model of natural hsitory.

You might look at this response and wonder if I am not being unduly harsh with my Pentecostal or TE brethren. I suppose that might be a fair criticism but it is nothing close to the main point here. The Scriptures can be understood as both redemptive history and modern ministry guidelines. Evolution can, and I think should be, understood as both natural science and natural history. Just because I believe that the Apostles came out of the Upper room speaking in languages previously unknown to them, does not mean I expect to be able to myself. Just because I accept that alleles change over time does not mean I accept that this can be stretch them over billions of years and attibute to nature what is rightfully attributed to God alone. To replace God's place in creation described in Genesis 1, 2; John 1 and elsewhere has serious theological implications. Rejecting Genesis 1 as poetic prose rather then an historical narrative calles every miracle in Scripture into question from Genesis to Revelations. I for one do not accept the modernist interprutation based the historicity of God's miracles assested to throughout Scripture:

"Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty.
Right and true are all you ways, King of the ages!
Who shall not fear You, O Lord, and give glory to Your name.
For You alone are Holy.
All nations shall come and worship before You.
For your righteous deeds have been revealed"

Revelations 15:3,4

Grace and peace,
Mark

P.S. In clean up some of my typos I found underlines links embedded in words with links I did not provide. It looks like some kind of spyware, virus or something like that I need to clean up.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.