Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What year do you believe Jesus Christ was crucified?

Growing up in the RCC we were taught that 30 AD is the year of His crucifixion.

I still believe that is correct year based upon several sorces. I am curious as to why and when you might think or believe it is another year.

Shalom
Mark

It may be that AD30 was the date, but 31 and 33 are more likely dates, based upon a number of different factors. I believe that this is taken up in Walter Maier's book First Easter.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that it would have to have been AD32. Dan. 9:25-26 says:
Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; The street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times. And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off...
The only command in the Bible to restore and build Jerusalem was given by Artaxerxes and recorded in Neh. 1:1-4; 2:1-8. This was in 445BC. Messiah was "cut off" after the 69 "weeks" (i.e., periods of 7 years), so 69*7*360 = 173880 days. (The 360 is the number of days in the prophetic year.) Adding 173880 to 445BC results in a date of AD32 in the Gregorian calendar.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that it would have to have been AD32. Dan. 9:25-26 says:
Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; The street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times. And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off...
The only command in the Bible to restore and build Jerusalem was given by Artaxerxes and recorded in Neh. 1:1-4; 2:1-8. This was in 445BC. Messiah was "cut off" after the 69 "weeks" (i.e., periods of 7 years), so 69*7*360 = 173880 days. (The 360 is the number of days in the prophetic year.) Adding 173880 to 445BC results in a date of AD32 in the Gregorian calendar.

Well, that's based on numerology and the presumption that 445BC is accurate.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's based on numerology and the presumption that 445BC is accurate.
It does assume that 445BC is accurate, but I believe that could be confirmed from extra-biblical sources. There is no numerology involved, though. Take the number of days divided by 365.24219878 and add an extra day because there was no year 0. You'll come up with 32. No numerology (which I avoid).

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I still believe that is correct year based upon several sorces. I am curious as to why and when you might think or believe it is another year.

Shalom
Mark

He prewrathrap,

If the prophecy given to Daniel is true, and I believe it is, I think 32 AD is probably the correct year. The only difficulty in working out God's prophetic words to Daniel is establishing exactly when the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem was issued.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Codger

Oct 23, 2003
N. E. Ohio
✟1,926.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
prewrathrap said:

Shalom
Mark

The RCC is right. There are a lot of factors to consider that are often ignored. Jesus was about thirty when he began his ministry. His ministry lasted about three plus years. If he died in 33AD then he was born in 1AD. There was no census that year because it happened in 3BC. That makes it 30AD. Herod died in 1AD so where do you put the 2 years and under of the Magi? God gave Israel 40 years to repent beginning at the cross and he destroyed them in 70AD - 40 years. The edict was given in 457 BC which calculates out to 30AD also.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The RCC is right. There are a lot of factors to consider that are often ignored. Jesus was about thirty when he began his ministry. His ministry lasted about three plus years. If he died in 33AD then he was born in 1AD.

and just about every historian and astronomer thinks he was born somewhere between 1 and 8 BC.

Herod died in 1AD

Herod died in 4 BC.

In addition, the Bible clearly tells us that it was in the 15th year of the reign of Tiberius (Luke 3:1) when Jesus' public ministry began. That would make it a ONE year ministry if Christ's death were to occur in AD 30.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
and just about every historian and astronomer thinks he was born somewhere between 1 and 8 BC.

Herod died in 4 BC.

In addition, the Bible clearly tells us that it was in the 15th year of the reign of Tiberius (Luke 3:1) when Jesus' public ministry began. That would make it a ONE year ministry if Christ's death were to occur in AD 30.

It turns out that a copying error was a primary cause of the confusion about the date of Herod’s death. A printer typesetting the manuscript of Josephus’ Antiquities messed up in the year 1544. Every single Josephus manuscript in these libraries dating from before 1544 supports the inference that Herod passed in 1 BC. Strong recent scholarship confirms that date.

Andrew Steinmann, “When Did Herod the Great Reign?” Novum Testamentum Volume 51, Number 1, 2009 , pp. 1–29

Ernest L. Martin, The Star That Astonished the World (Second Edition; Portland, Oregon: ASK Publications, 1996) ISBN 0–94-5657–87-0.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It turns out that a copying error was a primary cause of the confusion about the date of Herod’s death. A printer typesetting the manuscript of Josephus’ Antiquities messed up in the year 1544. Every single Josephus manuscript in these libraries dating from before 1544 supports the inference that Herod passed in 1 BC. Strong recent scholarship confirms that date..

That can't be correct, for the debate involves a myriad of events occurring in the first centuries BC and AD, but it could be that he died in 1 BC.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Generally the Lord's birth is placed sometime between 6 and 2 BC, with a median of 4 BC. Assuming an age of 33 years, that would place the Lord's death and resurrection sometime between 27 and 31 AD.

Of course, we don't know exactly how old the Lord was when He was crucified, Luke tells us that He was "about 30" when He began His ministry, and using John a ministry of about three years is hypothesized, but none of this is particularly concrete. Even assuming a three year ministry (which the Bible isn't clear about) that still leaves "about 30" which could mean 30, but it could mean the Lord was 29, 31, or younger or older.

We really don't know. But it is probably safe to conjecture the Lord's crucifixion and resurrection sometime in the late 20's to the early-mid 30's AD. But it remains only that, conjecture.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prewrathrap

Jan 24, 2010
✟15,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is a well thought out answer but several key points that I take to be incorrect interpretation of the gospels.

The number one issue is that Jesus was not crucified on a Friday mainly due to how feast of Passover and Unleavened Bread occur on the 14th & 15th of Abib/Nisan. This means during the passion week Jesus entered Jerusalem on the foal of a donkey on Sunday (1st day of week) which is on what we call Palm Sunday as foretold in book of Zechariah. This day would be 10th of Abib/Nisan. The paschal lamb was kept for four days and killed in evening between end of the 13th & 14th. Count out days and 13th falls on Wednesday.

The other main issue is most people do not realize that there are three Sabbaths during Peasch (Passover week). The three Sabbath days are feast of Passover, feast of Unleavened Bread, and weekly Sabbath. See Lev 23. The preparation was for the Passover meal and in his gospel gives you one giant clue as to that it could not be a Passover meal. This clue is Jesus hands to Judas a piece of bread dipped in a sop, which is the gravy from baking or boiling the meat in it. The Passover lamb was always roasted on an open fire and eaten with bitter herbs and unleavened bread. Unleavened bread is a terrible piece of bread to dip into a sop. There is no sop with the Passover meal. Jesus died at 3 pm on the 13th otherwise he was not the Paschal lamb.

Another reason is the moon tells us other wise. I bet no one will argue that the feast of unleavened Bread fell on a Friday the 15th of Abib/Nissan and this would correlate to full moon on Friday/Saturday. By calculating the moon's path one can see that the years which it fell on a Friday were 28, 30,and 35 AD. So the year 33 AD is not valid. If memory serves me correctly the actual date is April 6th in 30 AD.

There are more reasons but I have to get back to my yearly report to Uncle Sam. Smile!

Shalom
Mark

Upvote 0

Leuko Petra

Following The Lamb
Apr 8, 2013
Almost Home
✟831.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private

Shalom
Mark
According to all of Scripture, even Prophetically [Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, etc] and Historically [Luke, Gospels, etc], Jesus died in the year AD 31, not another

Jesus was about 30 years of age [as type said he must be] when Baptized in AD 27, born in about 4 BC, and thus with a 3 1/2 year ministry, comes to AD 31. John the Baptist begun his ministry 6 months earlier in AD 26. The decree had gone forth in 457 BC by Artaxerxes 1 Longimanus in his 7th Year, and counting the time in Daniel, we come to AD 27 for the Anointing/Baptism and AD 31 for the death again. If not, then Jesus is not the Messiah, for the scriptures have failed and the prophecies have failed, and the time is past, and we are all lost, without hope.

The details may be given later if requested.

Upvote 0

Leuko Petra

Following The Lamb
Apr 8, 2013
Almost Home
✟831.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private

The other main issue is most people do not realize that there are three Sabbaths during Peasch (Passover week). The three Sabbath days are feast of Passover, feast of Unleavened Bread, and weekly Sabbath. See Lev 23. ...

Shalom
Mark
There seems to be a misunderstanding here, as the Passover was never a Sabbath. Neither Exodus 12, nor Leviticus 23, nor other places wherein the passover is mentioned in scripture, anywhere says that the Passover was a sabbath, but rather that the first day of unleavened bread was a one of the yearly festal sabbaths, wherein "no servile work" [Lev 23:7] could be done, which is different than that of the Seventh Day Sabbath, wherein "not do any work" [Exo 20:10] is stated.

As for the wednesday crucifixion, that is also a misunderstanding of the texts [3 days and 3 nights] as well, for Luke 24:21 is clear, even as the greek of the Gospels, but we may come to that later if desired.

Upvote 0