Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Part of being a Conservative is knowing when government is the answer and when government is not the answer.

Something you're apparently missing.

Just because the President is a Democrat does not mean he is the default responsible party.

Again, I don't care what party he is. You obviously are falling prey to your own rhetoric.

What response would you have him take?

I honestly don't know. That hasn't been my point. My point has been why it was okay to blame Bush at Katrina, but it's not really okay to blame Obama for this. Even some of the liberal pundits are puzzled by his responses.

Your comments provide enough volume.

Then you apparently need to turn your volume up, because you don't anything about what I feel about the POTUS, other than one soundbyte you've read where I've said I don't like him. I don't. Pssst...I also didn't care too much for Bush, either.

You are comparing two different scenarios. This is a false comparison. How is what was essentially a massive dam failure with stranded people similar to a failure of an oil well? Please explain.

A "massive dam failure with stranded people"??! Good Lord. I lost friends in Katrina and you want to chalk it up to massive dam failure with stranded people? Sheesh.

These are both national crises. The people in charge of the states involved have asked for federal help and they were slow getting it. In one case, it was Bush's fault the fed help was slow. In this case, however, people are trying to give Obama the pass, that this is all BPs fault (which BP hasn't denied, actually) but that doesn't excuse Obama from trying to assist these people. Why Bush is at fault in one scenario because he was the POTUS and why Obama isn't is a mystery.

Because it is not a double standard.

Yes it is. Even the political pundits are picking up on that.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Something you're apparently missing.

So you think capping an oil well 5000 yards under the surface of the ocean is a government responsibility? Why?

Again, I don't care what party he is. You obviously are falling prey to your own rhetoric.

Really? Then answer the question above. Why do you think the President should be stepping in to stop an oil leak? What specifically should the President be doing, why is it the Federal responsibility, and where is this responsibility delineated in law.

Please answer, I am genuinely curious.

I honestly don't know.

Then how can you call him responsible?

That hasn't been my point. My point has been why it was okay to blame Bush at Katrina, but it's not really okay to blame Obama for this. Even some of the liberal pundits are puzzled by his responses.

Katrina was a disaster. The Federal government, in conjunction with state and local officials, has a long history of engaging in support missions for disasters, both within and without the United States (like Haiti).

Your position is just silly. President Bush did a HORRIBLE job handling Katrina. This was an area where he could have taken effort, where past efforts set expectations, and where he could have shone. He did a really bad job at a lot of things. Ignoring this will not make it go away.

Republicans need to get over the Bush derangement syndrome. He was a really bad President. There is no reason to defend the indefensible simply because he was a Republican. Let me let you in on a secret...

REPUBLICANS CAN MAKE MISTAKES!!!

You have no idea how liberating it is to NOT have to defend Bush just because he is Republican. He screwed up, a LOT. This does not mean you have to go out to find something Obama has screwed up. It means I can deal with Bush as Bush, Obama as Obama, next President as next President.

As it is, Obama's situation is completely different from Bush's.

Then you apparently need to turn your volume up, because you don't anything about what I feel about the POTUS, other than one soundbyte you've read where I've said I don't like him. I don't. Pssst...I also didn't care too much for Bush, either.

When you make a convoluted comparison of two incomparable events in the vain hope of trying to make a Democratic President look bad because a Republican President screwed up a natural disaster, you want me to ignore it?

A "massive dam failure with stranded people"??! Good Lord. I lost friends in Katrina and you want to chalk it up to massive dam failure with stranded people? Sheesh.

Really? You're going to ignore the obvious differences by pretending faux outrage?

These are both national crises. The people in charge of the states involved have asked for federal help and they were slow getting it.

Above you just admitted to not knowing what Obama could have done. What help do you think he could have provided that he has been slow in providing?

In one case, it was Bush's fault the fed help was slow. In this case, however, people are trying to give Obama the pass, that this is all BPs fault (which BP hasn't denied, actually) but that doesn't excuse Obama from trying to assist these people. Why Bush is at fault in one scenario because he was the POTUS and why Obama isn't is a mystery.

Assist how?

Yes it is. Even the political pundits are picking up on that.

Then provide a detailed explanation comparing the two events, possible actions, the the way in which each President failed. This should be useful to everyone.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
let me know when you're done looking at me through your rhetoric-filled glasses and then maybe we can talk. I see how the public and the media is reacting and then I see how the liberals are reacting and that's what I've been commenting on. I'm not here to say what Obama should or shouldn't do - I think I've made that crystal clear. I'm asking why the double standard. You obviously want to defend Obama for some reason (which makes me question the double standard even more).

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
let me know when you're done looking at me through your rhetoric-filled glasses and then maybe we can talk. I see how the public and the media is reacting and then I see how the liberals are reacting and that's what I've been commenting on. I'm not here to say what Obama should or shouldn't do - I think I've made that crystal clear. I'm asking why the double standard. You obviously want to defend Obama for some reason (which makes me question the double standard even more).

Have a nice day.

Can you answer the question? If you admittedly have no idea what Obama could have done, why are you criticizing him?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Can you answer the question? If you admittedly have no idea what Obama could have done, why are you criticizing him?

I haven't criticized him. I've pointed out that others have.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I maintain that people have criticized Obama for the way he's handled the oil rig explosion and that liberals have taken exception to it. I maintain that I find the double standard odd, given that liberals had no problems blaming Bush for the response to Katrina. Please note who bears the brunt of my "criticism"...it's the liberals who are trying to make excuses for Obama when it was okay to blame Bush.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I maintain that people have criticized Obama for the way he's handled the oil rig explosion and that liberals have taken exception to it.

Then prove it. This is the problem, "Republicans" love to "maintain" things, but do so without any real understanding of the facts or reality. If this is true you should be able to prove it, but no one can. This is because it is not true. These sorts of backwards comments only hurt Republicans.

I maintain that I find the double standard odd, given that liberals had no problems blaming Bush for the response to Katrina. Please note who bears the brunt of my "criticism"...it's the liberals who are trying to make excuses for Obama when it was okay to blame Bush.

Only because your "double standard" is an < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
:doh:

criticisms to date:

BP Is Criticized Over Oil Spill, but U.S. Missed Chances to Act - NYTimes.com

Obama 'too slow to act against oil slick disaster' | Mail Online

Criticism mounts against Obama for government&#8217;s handling of the Gulf oil spill | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Will Oil Spill in the Gulf be "Obama's Katrina"?

Meanwhile we have people itching to blame Palin since she uttered "drill, baby, drill", except she had no power whatsoever to influence off shore drilling. She's not even a governor anymore.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7464832/

Proof enough? I can find more if you need me to.

What is hurting our party is people like you who seek to tear it apart rather than pull it together.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
:doh:

criticisms to date:

BP Is Criticized Over Oil Spill, but U.S. Missed Chances to Act - NYTimes.com

Obama 'too slow to act against oil slick disaster' | Mail Online

Criticism mounts against Obama for government’s handling of the Gulf oil spill | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Will Oil Spill in the Gulf be "Obama's Katrina"?

Meanwhile we have people itching to blame Palin since she uttered "drill, baby, drill", except she had no power whatsoever to influence off shore drilling. She's not even a governor anymore.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7464832/

Proof enough? I can find more if you need me to.

No, this is not proof. This is a list of news articles without actually explaining anything. Perhaps the problem is that you do not know what proof actually is (which would incidentally support my thesis).

If you want to prove something you have to state your premise. You then set up a logical argument where you lay out the facts.

- Timeline of the Katrina disaster.
- When the disaster occurred.
- When actions were taken.
- What actions were taken.
- The assessment of the actions.
- The surplus/deficit of action and cause.

THEN...

You have to do the same with the oil spill making careful note of the parallels, places were there are no parallels, similarities, differences, etc...

Based on this you should be able to provide data that the situations had a similar deficit in action, coupled with a dissimilar deficit in criticism. This should honestly take several hours to do well. I am willing to bet that you care enough to level the accusation, but do not care enough to do the work.

This is why Republicans are killing themselves. Hard work is no longer a Republican value.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh my goodness...you are reading far too much into what I'm saying.

Fact A: people are criticizing Obama.
Fact B: liberals are upset about it.
Fact C: same liberals had no issues with blaming Bush for Katrina.

You can't get around that. I'm not talking about whether Bush was right or Obama was right. I'm talking about the double standard that liberals thought it was perfectly okay to blame the POTUS back when Katrina happened only now it's not so okay because Obama is being blamed for the oil rig mess.

Is that really hard for you to comprehend? Sheesh. Mountain, meet molehill.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my goodness...you are reading far too much into what I'm saying.

Fact A: people are criticizing Obama.
Fact B: liberals are upset about it.
Fact C: same liberals had no issues with blaming Bush for Katrina.

You forgot HUGE ASSUMPTION A: The two situations are similar.

But don't let hard work get in the way of sabotaging the Party with incoherence.

You can't get around that. I'm not talking about whether Bush was right or Obama was right. I'm talking about the double standard that liberals thought it was perfectly okay to blame the POTUS back when Katrina happened only now it's not so okay because Obama is being blamed for the oil rig mess.

Is that really hard for you to comprehend? Sheesh. Mountain, meet molehill.

You continually assume without any thought or work that the two situations are similar. This makes Republicans look completely uninformed.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You're the one busy trying to sabotage the party. I've made my claims, I'm sticking to them, I've given the proof...you just choose to be blinded by what you think is wrong with the party today...

Thanks for taking away the safe house from your own party, Ed. Long as you're here, this isn't a safe house. I'm used to the liberals coming in and trying to trip us up, but this coming from supposedly one of our own is just downright ridiculous.

You've accused me of party rhetoric, of being incoherent, of not being a hard worker, etc. You've personally attacked me. How nice of you. If YOU are supposedly what embodies the Republican Party I'll remove my heffalump right now and tear up my membership card.

Keep it up and you'll have the safe house all to yourself. :wave:

I'm outta here.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You're the one busy trying to sabotage the party. I've made my claims, I'm sticking to them, I've given the proof...you just choose to be blinded by what you think is wrong with the party today...

I suspect you believe everything you have written, which is the sad part. You clearly have no idea what a real, logical argument is. You do not seem to know what facts are. < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >
< staff edit > < staff edit >

It is not what Republicans do not know that is killing the party, but what they do not know or care that they do not know.

Thanks for taking away the safe house from your own party, Ed.

You're trying to take my party away from me. I am the injured one here. You cannot prove a simple assertion, all the while running the Party into the ground, and you want to blame me?!? How about admitting the obvious? If you do not know, there is nothing wrong with that. < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >.

Yes it is, but once again, I am the injured party. You have made a claim that you cannot support and you want to blame everyone but yourself.

Simply saying something does not make it true!!! "Maintain" things all you like, but when you cannot explain your opinions you make us ll look bad. I am doing what someone has needed to do for a long time, point out how poorly informed Republicans have become. A Republican NEEDS to be doing this because people are killing the Party when they say things without the slightest understanding of what they are talking about.

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edity >.

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > , staff edit > < staff edit >
Keep it up and you'll have the safe house all to yourself. :wave:

I'm outta here.

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit .. I am not expecting anything I would not expect of myself, and you should be able to say the same.

Upvote 0

GodGunsAndGlory

Jan 4, 2008
✟16,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
<staff edit>
2nd, Bush gave the governor of Louisiana the money she wanted and she had been saying they could handle it, but they ended up being unable to handle it. This is fact not some fiction that you can make up and believe Kanye West that it was all Bush's fault, but he wasn't the one saying he could handle then not being able to handle. She even admitted to this<staff edit>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >
2nd, Bush gave the governor of Louisiana the money she wanted and she had been saying they could handle it, but they ended up being unable to handle it. This is fact not some fiction that you can make up and believe Kanye West that it was all Bush's fault, but he wasn't the one saying he could handle then not being able to handle. She even admitted to this, <staff edit>.

Ok. Prove it. Is this too hard?

Reactions: SOAD
Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My apologies to the membership of this thread for engaging in the arguing here.
< staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit > < staff edit >

Upvote 0