Ye Olde Republican Safe House

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
:cool:

Attachments

• mirrormirror.jpg
    mirrormirror.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like a time long ago and a place far away when people posted here regularly. This was one of the first and most frequented threads for me when I first joined CF.... wonder what happened to all the furniture. :scratch:

Heya! :wave:

Yes indeed... I remember the big controversy it caused when I first made the thread. :D I'm such a troublemaker... :p

Hope all of you have been doing well over the years! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know who I miss? Smokescreen. Anyone else remember how he posted 30 or 40 new threads every day after Katrina complaining about how badly Bush was handling it? It was so many threads that staff had to create a whole new merged thread just for the subject because he was so angry at Bush and the way he responded to Katrina. Now that the sierra club is saying that Obama is handling the oil spill far worse than Bush did in New Orleans, I'm sure he'd be posting dozens of new threads about the environmental and economic damage and Obama's utter incompetence - right?

Sure he would. I think I'll venture down the page and see how many of our intellectually consistent friends are taking Obummer to task.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You know who I miss? Smokescreen. Anyone else remember how he posted 30 or 40 new threads every day after Katrina complaining about how badly Bush was handling it? It was so many threads that staff had to create a whole new merged thread just for the subject because he was so angry at Bush and the way he responded to Katrina. Now that the sierra club is saying that Obama is handling the oil spill far worse than Bush did in New Orleans, I'm sure he'd be posting dozens of new threads about the environmental and economic damage and Obama's utter incompetence - right?

Sure he would. I think I'll venture down the page and see how many of our intellectually consistent friends are taking Obummer to task.

I was thinking about this yesterday. It honestly doesn't matter who is in charge when we have a catastrophe like this. I'm not sure how much quicker Obama could respond in a matter like this, I'm not sure if his hands are tied by BP and their own response (although I've read and heard that BP is working hand-in-hand with the government and trying to bend over backwards).

What grates me is that a lot of the left are demonizing Palin for encouraging off-shore drilling but seemingly have forgotten that Obama himself was quite for and an eager beaver about it as well - and he's the one with the power to make it happen, not Palin. Quite the double standard there and it's frustrating.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What grates me is that a lot of the left are demonizing Palin for encouraging off-shore drilling but seemingly have forgotten that Obama himself was quite for and an eager beaver about it as well - and he's the one with the power to make it happen, not Palin. Quite the double standard there and it's frustrating.

This is not necessarily true. What was being advocated was hardly advocating, as much as open to the possibility. To claim the President was "an eager beaver" is false. The issue is complex and should be seriously considered but with a healthy does of concern.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is not necessarily true. What was being advocated was hardly advocating, as much as open to the possibility. To claim the President was "an eager beaver" is false. The issue is complex and should be seriously considered but with a healthy does of concern.

Oh, right, cuz this never happened:
President Barack Obama launched an ambitious plan on Wednesday to lift a decades-long moratorium on offshore oil drilling along the East Coast from Delaware to Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska.

“This is not a decision that I’ve made lightly,” he said in remarks at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. “But the bottom line is this: given our energy needs, in order to sustain economic growth and produce jobs and keep our businesses competitive, we are going to need to harness traditional sources of fuel, even as we ramp up production of new sources of renewable, homegrown energy.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, right, cuz this never happened:
President Barack Obama launched an ambitious plan on Wednesday to lift a decades-long moratorium on offshore oil drilling along the East Coast from Delaware to Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska.

“This is not a decision that I’ve made lightly,” he said in remarks at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. “But the bottom line is this: given our energy needs, in order to sustain economic growth and produce jobs and keep our businesses competitive, we are going to need to harness traditional sources of fuel, even as we ramp up production of new sources of renewable, homegrown energy.”

One of the problems in the Republican Party these days is a lack of thought. Did you read the article? If so, here is what it said...

"Obama’s decision is closely tied politically to the fate of the climate change bill jointly sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) And while it could win the president support from conservative Democrats and Republicans – Graham has said he would not support a bill that “doesn’t have offshore drilling in a meaningful way” – it is also likely to rile part of Obama’s Democratic base, particularly environmentalists."

The plan was tied to Cap and Trade, and not a decision to go out and drill immediately. If the plan is to be weighed and considered, and really assessed for viability, it needs to be really understood.

The difference is Palin's "Drill Baby Drill!!!!" is a thoughtless cliche designed to stir up emotion. Emotion might win elections, but it is killing the Party. We don't need more than unthinking "Drill Baby Drill!!!".

So when you compared the two situations it was inaccurate. Even your justification is not correct. This is a serious problem.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One of the problems in the Republican Party these days is a lack of thought. Did you read the article? If so, here is what it said...

and sometimes the problem is lack of comprehension. Now, bear in mind that I defend Obama when he's getting smacked unfairly. So please spare me with the "lack of thought" comments.

Obama has been eager about off-shore drilling. He may not have said "drill baby drill" but he was the one in the position of power to make it happen. What power does Palin possess right now? Absolutely ZILCH.

THIS ARTICLE shows some of the quotes from major newspapers, etc., about the government's handling of this oil spill. By default, Obama runs this government. The buck stops at his desk.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
and sometimes the problem is lack of comprehension. Now, bear in mind that I defend Obama when he's getting smacked unfairly. So please spare me with the "lack of thought" comments.

Obama has been eager about off-shore drilling. He may not have said "drill baby drill" but he was the one in the position of power to make it happen. What power does Palin possess right now? Absolutely ZILCH.

Being willing to do something to achieve an overriding goal is not eagerness, it is political expediency. As evidence of his claimed eagerness, please demonstrate what has been done to further this goal, other than suggest he may be open to the idea. He is so eager that he really has not done anything to further drilling.

THIS ARTICLE shows some of the quotes from major newspapers, etc., about the government's handling of this oil spill. By default, Obama runs this government. The buck stops at his desk.

Not really. There have been oil spills of different magnitudes before, what was the Presidential response in those cases?

You say the buck stops with Obama because you do not like him. This is bad because it is silly and partisan. What did you or others expect the President to do? Do army units train on capping oil wells at the bottom of the gulf? Part of being Conservative is knowing when government can and cannot provide a response, and being consistent in that application. Consistency is difficult, but important. Please rise above the partisanship.

Additionally Diehappy's comment about the Sierra club is simply false.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
OH my goodness. The buck stops with Obama because he's the president of the united states. Ultimately, he's in charge. Ultimately, he's responsible.

Rise above the partisanship?

How about you go and read a bit before you make comments like this? When you've read my political background here and gotten a good idea of how I view Obama other than "I don't like him", then maybe come back and chat with me.

Until then, I'd like to talk about the fact that it was Bush's fault that the response to Katrina was so slow, yet it's not Obama's fault that the responses have been slow to the current oil spill. It's a double standard and I'd like to know why it's okay.

Upvote 0

Edmund Burke

May 4, 2010
✟760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
OH my goodness. The buck stops with Obama because he's the president of the united states. Ultimately, he's in charge. Ultimately, he's responsible.

Part of being a Conservative is knowing when government is the answer and when government is not the answer.

Rise above the partisanship?

Just because the President is a Democrat does not mean he is the default responsible party.

What response would you have him take?

How about you go and read a bit before you make comments like this? When you've read my political background here and gotten a good idea of how I view Obama other than "I don't like him", then maybe come back and chat with me.

Your comments provide enough volume.

Until then, I'd like to talk about the fact that it was Bush's fault that the response to Katrina was so slow, yet it's not Obama's fault that the responses have been slow to the current oil spill.

You are comparing two different scenarios. This is a false comparison. How is what was essentially a massive dam failure with stranded people similar to a failure of an oil well? Please explain.

It's a double standard and I'd like to know why it's okay.

Because it is not a double standard.

Upvote 0