Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Exact same boat...and we both have oars :D I rarely have had a non-nut-case Libertarian on any of my ballots.
If you know those people personally, then I cannot dispute what you say about that, but I have found that most of them--when you get to know them better--are surprisingly thoughtful and balanced in their proposals. I also think, though, that Gary Johnson didn't do the cause any good with his 2016 campaign.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you know those people personally, then I cannot dispute what you say about that, but I have found that most of them--when you get to know them better--are surprisingly thoughtful and balanced in their proposals. I also think, though, that Gary Johnson didn't do the cause any good with his 2016 campaign.

No he didn't...and the 2020 candidates aren't looking any better.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the media and now big tech (censorship and banning un-PC expression) should be broken up and their bias has a lot more influence on public opinions and expressing no matter which party is in office. It's like a single-party shadow government. So I don't consider us truly free anymore.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the media and now big tech (censorship and banning un-PC expression) should be broken up and their bias has a lot more influence on public opinions and expressing no matter which party is in office. It's like a single-party shadow government. So I don't consider us truly free anymore.

Libertarian principles would resist just government oversight in favor of free market means. I think we should self-deplatform and only use services that expressively demonstrate that they support free speech.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Any thoughts on who might run for Libertarian presidential candidate?
Former Rhode Island Governor and US Senator Lincoln Chaffee just filed his papers. That makes about thirty people who have formally declared for the Libertarian nomination with the Federal Election Commission. There's hardly anything about Chaffee that can seriously be called Libertarian, though.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not a loony tune or a felon? No one comes to mind.

Former Rhode Island Governor and US Senator Lincoln Chaffee just filed his papers. That makes about thirty people who have formally declared for the Libertarian nomination with the Federal Election Commission. There's hardly anything about Chaffee that can seriously be called Libertarian, though.

Thanks, I have not really been following yet. I liked Johnson but have not seen anyone with any interest yet.

I just saw the news about Chaffee, I don't really know much about him though.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, I have not really been following yet. I liked Johnson but have not seen anyone with any interest yet.

I just saw the news about Chaffee, I don't really know much about him though.

Lincoln Chafee - Wikipedia

Socially liberal, fiscal conservative. He's rather pro-abortion, so I can't in good conscience vote for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the Libertarian Party debate happened.....the candidates, presentation, and process was embarrassing for what is the third largest party in the country. As of now I will not be voting for any of the Libertarian candidates unless someone else steps into the field.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Steve, could you summarize what transpired during that event, leaving out (if you wish) the candidates who have no chance?

I would say that none of the candidates have a chance at making any waves in the election, plan on a under 400K vote turnout for any of the candidates up there now.

Specifically though, the candidates are unprepared for a real election and only appeal to the solid Libertarian base, or are not really Libertarian and are/were hoping to ride on the ticket but will not garner the votes (Chaffee). Vermin Supreme is a joke but seems to be getting the most attention in the party, at least in the groups I have read from. Kokesh is also getting attention, but another candidate that would go nowhere on the national stage.

The party needs a candidate with some sort of experience and at least partial name recognition.

I mean, just watch this for 10 seconds and say that it is something worthy of the third largest party in the nation:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would say that none of the candidates have a chance at making any waves in the election, plan on a under 400K vote turnout for any of the candidates up there now.

Specifically though, the candidates are unprepared for a real election and only appeal to the solid Libertarian base, or are not really Libertarian and are/were hoping to ride on the ticket but will not garner the votes (Chaffee). Vermin Supreme is a joke but seems to be getting the most attention in the party, at least in the groups I have read from. Kokesh is also getting attention, but another candidate that would go nowhere on the national stage.

The party needs a candidate with some sort of experience and at least partial name recognition.

I mean, just watch this for 10 seconds and say that it is something worthy of the third largest party in the nation:
Yep, what you said squares with what I have picked up from Libertarian friends. I saw a recorded speech by Hornberger awhile ago, and he presented himself well, but most of the rest of these guys are a joke and should be considered by the party to be an embarrassment IMHO. On the brighter side, it may invite a more presentable candidate to throw his hat into the ring. There still is time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
most of the rest of these guys are a joke and should be considered by the party to be an embarrassment IMHO.
I mean, honestly, if this is really what the party is able to conjure up for a major election, an election where the LP could really make some progress it makes me reconsider the party at all.

On the brighter side, it may invite a more presentable candidate to throw his hat into the ring. There still is time.
I certainly hope so. If they can't come up with a better candidate I am dropping back to an Independent.

And what are they doing with audio/video for these broadcasts? Certainly someone in the party can help them make a professional broadcast. That debate was a major embarrassment, or should be. But the party just does not seem to care - which shows in the current list of candidates.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I officially just changed my Voter Registration to No Party Affiliation. I just can't support the Libertarian Party with the nonsense they are moving forward with. I keep getting requests for donations to give towards efforts to expand ballot and national debate access. I just can't support those efforts if these are the candidates we have. I could easily change back in the future, but right now they do not deserve my number in the ranks. I am a no-body, but I don't want to be counted with this current group.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I mean, honestly, if this is really what the party is able to conjure up for a major election, an election where the LP could really make some progress it makes me reconsider the party at all.
My hunch is that you are speaking for a lot of other Libertarians there. The elections of 2020 may well be the turning point for the party.

And what are they doing with audio/video for these broadcasts? Certainly someone in the party can help them make a professional broadcast. That debate was a major embarrassment, or should be. But the party just does not seem to care - which shows in the current list of candidates.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My hunch is that you are speaking for a lot of other Libertarians there. The elections of 2020 may well be the turning point for the party.
IMO, unless someone comes out of the woodwork they are done. They are the Reform Party after Perot left and Buchanan destroyed it. I can't see them getting more than 300K votes on any of these candidates, if that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IMO, unless someone comes out of the woodwork they are done. They are the Reform Party after Perot left and Buchanan destroyed it. I can't see them getting more than 300K votes on any of these candidates, if that.
You could well be right about all of that, IMO.

I still feel that a minor party that has at last achieved some degree of name recognition and was on 50 state ballots last time around ought to look too attractive not to lure somebody respectable into the race. But maybe not.

Upvote 0