Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's a bit of pantheistic philosophy, but the word "god" doesn't need to be meant literally so metaphorically speaking sure.

It’s not a metaphor. We are the children of God and made in his image and as such we are gods.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus wasn’t making mockery or using hyperbolic language. He was quoting the Psalms and he stated that the scripture cannot be broken. He was explaining that the Jews should accept him as the Son of God as they also were gods and the children of God made in his image.

Yes we are gods and the very sons of god who shall appear like him.

1 John 3:2 KJV: Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
Sons of God is not the same as "ye are gods". Thanks for engaging.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sons of God is not the same as "yes are gods". Thanks for engaging.

There are a lot of Christians who teach, believe, and confess otherwise. One of the largest Churches the Orthodox Church believes in deification and often quotes Psalms 82:6.

1 John 3:2 states that, “we shall be like him”.

Jesus said, that the scripture cannot be broken. He was claiming to be the Son of God and he instructed the Jews that they were also gods.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟451,502.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are a Son are you not like your Father?

We are made in Gods image.

We may, but we are infinetely smaller than God, we should not get any 'ideas' that we are the a 'great' thing or we may get a reality check.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We may, but we are infinetely smaller than God, we should not get any 'ideas' that we are the a 'great' thing or we may get a reality check.

Actually it should be a normal thing, where there is in thought neither less or more.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
God the Father never said it. David said it, then later Christ quoted David. So, it's a statement David said.
So where does David say, "Ye are gods."? All I see is, "I have said, 'Ye are gods.'" He is using a rhetorical construction to lead into his point. He is not directly saying, "Ye are gods." There is a difference.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Of course the Bible does teach that men who are "jugdes" working on behalf of God, were in this capicity, "elohim". As I have shown at the start of this thread
Of course. Which has a lot to do with wherever he may have actually said, "Ye are gods (judges)". And the context, including where his rhetorical statement, "I have said, 'ye are gods (judges).'" was leading to, that they too will die like men, may support that. He could even be making use of a pun to show the pride and self-importance of the judges who considered themselves gods.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Which is what I speculate David was getting at with the whole statement, including the follow-up, "but you will die like men."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Of course the Bible does teach that men who are "jugdes" working on behalf of God, were in this capicity, "elohim". As I have shown at the start of this thread
I particularly enjoy the way Christ puts the bind on them, saying "...your law...", and then plays with their ability to defeat their own logic. Christ never said, "This verse proves I can say this with impudence.", but rather, uses their own precious law, or rather, their use of it, against their thinking.

He is not using what David said to prove that humans are gods, but to show that his persecutors had nothing to stand on for stoning (or even criticizing) him.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is my 2 cents.
Psalms 82:6
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
John 10:34
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
In Ps 82:6 God said "I have said you are gods." It is qualified. Why didn't God say "You are God?" Why does He preface it with "I have said?" Because God only said they were gods He did not make them gods. It is also qualified by the words "But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes." They evidently never had any god like attributes.
.....When Jesus quoted Ps 82:6 He included the qualification He said "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" He did not say "God said 'you are gods.'" Jesus quoted God speaking and saying "I said you were gods..."

.....And in Ps 82:6-7 God was not speaking a truth that applied to all mankind or even all of Israel, but to a specific group at a specific time, the judges vs. 2.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To whom the law came to, they were gods. The law is a judgment and so it is related to judges. Souls form from the logos. The Son, the logos, the law... They are all the same thing, in their most purified form.

I read Psalm 82 as if it is describing an ancient past or some other part of reality that caused the one that we are now in. It's an interesting psalm.

It's obvious that Fallen beings degenerate into a lesser condition. Only what is divine has a fully actualized existence. Creatures die because they are an unstable and impermanent reality.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the Jews were accusing him because he claimed to be the Son of God.
Yes, but my post is about why Jesus referred to Psalm 82:6 in His response to them.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

I agree with this. Pride goes before a fall. YHWH is the supreme God and he is our Lord and master. All praise and worship is due his holy name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually it should be a normal thing, where there is in thought neither less or more.
Being infinitely small seems rather appealing. I would hope macro reality would stabilize anything that might happen to the micro. Of course the nature of Love is rather plain. how could someone think less of another if they have infinite love?

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In John 10:34 Jesus quoted Psalms 82:6 and says, “ye are gods”. So what is your opinion on this? Are human beings actually gods?

I have heard the claim that this passage means that we are judges but I’m not buying that argument as it doesn’t seem to fit the context of the passage.

John 10:34

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
I think it means that just as God created us and the earth, we too have been given not only the power to create our own children, we have been given the knowledge to not just exist upon the earth but to take the minerals and substance of the earth and create our own heaven on earth. God and Jesus created mansions and buildings in heaven for us , but they did not create them here for us. We were given the capacity and ability to do that for ourselves!What other animal on earth can do this?
Screenshot_20201119-131537.png
We have built tremendous things on earth because God gave us the abilities and materials to create incredible jaw dropping things- you would think we would appreciate and love Him a little more instead of taking all the credit like a spoiled child and then denying His very existence. It is heartbreaking. If a man buys his own property and creates a little " heaven on earth" is he not like a God of his home? He makes all the decisions regarding his home, he decided who stays and who goes, angels have free will but they are not like Gods. They cannot build anything without permission, and have to take orders from God. They are servants, no? Even the demons are servants to satan though they choose to create things that will destroy us in the long run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0