Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've always thought Jesus was being sarcastic when He said they were gods. I mean look, He could have just quoted the second half of verse 6 and claimed He was in full rights to being the Son of God, but He didn't. No, He chose to quote the fist half of the verse, which is clearly preposterous. We are in no way gods or Gods. Jesus knew that and only quoted the verse because He knew they were about to stone Him. He threw them off His scent for His time had not yet come, nor was the method of His death to be via stoning.

so He purposely misled the Jews to 'throw them off his scent'?

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In John 10:34 Jesus quoted Psalms 82:6 and says, “ye are gods”. So what is your opinion on this? Are human beings actually gods?

I have heard the claim that this passage means that we are judges but I’m not buying that argument as it doesn’t seem to fit the context of the passage.

John 10:34

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

We are sons ...

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
you must be a follower of the heretics, Kenneth Copeland and Kenneth Hagin, both who taught this rank heresy!

Nope. Many Christians believe in deification. It’s a concept popular in the Orthodox Church called theosis. I am currently attending a Lutheran Church and you can see I previously quoted Martin Luther in one of my posts where he calls us gods. Lutherans have a doctrine called Mystical Union which is union with the devine and is somewhat similar to deification. Here is a video by the Lutheran Pastor Jordan Cooper on theosis and Christification.

Here is also the Wikipedia link to the Orthodox doctrine of theosis: Theosis (Eastern Christian theology) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are sons ...

and if children, also heirs--heirs of God and coheirs with Christ--seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.

O Lord, let me not be put to shame, for I call upon you; let the wicked be put to shame; let them go silently to Sheol.

The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever; they are not put to shame in evil times; in the days of famine they have abundance.

The Lord within her is righteous; he does no injustice; every morning he shows forth his justice; each dawn he does not fail; but the unjust knows no shame.

You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the Lord your God and there is none else. And my people shall never again be put to shame.

He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother is a son who brings shame and reproach.

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.

Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. For the Lord has called you like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off, says your God. For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord, your Redeemer.

Reactions: Scott Husted
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the Hebrew elohim is indeed used in the OT for human "judges", who were representing The Lord.

"Then his master shall bring him unto the judges (elohim); he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever" (Exodus 21:6)

"If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges (elohim), to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour's goods" (22:8)

" If one man sin against another, the judge (elohim) shall judge him: but if a man sin against the Lord, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the Lord would slay them." (1 Samuel 2:25)
The problem with that argument is Jesus did not use the Greek word for judges but the Greek word for Gods. I think he understood the passage.

What I have always understood this to mean is that what is available for Real Christians. At least collectively. Is to be like Moses to the world. Of whom God said to Moses. You will be like God to Pharaoh.

in other words the phrase is being used illustratively.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In John 10:34 Jesus quoted Psalms 82:6 and says, “ye are gods”. So what is your opinion on this? Are human beings actually gods?

I have heard the claim that this passage means that we are judges but I’m not buying that argument as it doesn’t seem to fit the context of the passage.

Fellow Christians. Let us reason! Some of these posts are not correct. It simply refers to those in authority within the Jewish community; judges,priests,Rabbis etc. Jesus Christ of Nazareth is making mockery and using hyperbolic language in order to make a point. No we are not gods! Be blessed,

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
most certainly is! read the complete Psalm. this is addressed to unjust HUMAN judges
It’s obviously not talking to humans because all humans die, and it would be redundant to tell a human “you will die like men”.

• Agree
Reactions: ChetSinger
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think before we can understand what Jesus was saying when he quoted Psalm 82 we first need to understand what Psalm 82 itself is about. And from what I've read the "gods" it's speaking of aren't men at all, because their punishment is to "die like men". There's a backstory here, and these beings are called "gods of the nations" in the OT and "principalities" in the NT. In the church age they are among our spiritual enemies.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Fellow Christians. Let us reason! Some of these posts are not correct. It simply refers to those in authority within the Jewish community; judges,priests,Rabbis etc. Jesus Christ of Nazareth is making mockery and using hyperbolic language in order to make a point. No we are not gods! Be blessed,

Jesus wasn’t making mockery or using hyperbolic language. He was quoting the Psalms and he stated that the scripture cannot be broken. He was explaining that the Jews should accept him as the Son of God as they also were gods and the children of God made in his image.

Yes we are gods and the very sons of god who shall appear like him.

1 John 3:2 KJV: Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
there is NO such thing! There is ONLY ONE GOD, that that IS, THE GOD of the Holy Bible! ALL so-called "gods" are demons!
Relax, it's not polytheism. The "gods of the nations" are not at God's level. The Pentateuch is filled with statements that the gods of the nations cannot be compared with YHWH, the God of Israel. They are the "sons of God" mentioned in the Song of Moses in Deut 32:8. Two of them are the princes of Greece and Persia mentioned in Daniel. Paul calls them "principalities" and they are now among our spiritual enemies. In the resurrection it seems we're going to replace them as seen in Rev 2:26.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ye basically Jesus paraphase Psalm 82 when he answer Jews who accused him of being son of God

1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Israel is like gods with lower case g compared to all other nations on earth. They ought to be Holy people but since they act wicked they will suffer like wicked people who don't know God .

but also
1 John 3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Basically when Jesus says you have to be born again to enter Kingdom of God , you need to be born of God and become son of God which happens at resurrection when you get your glorified body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I believe it's a bit of pantheistic philosophy, but the word "god" doesn't need to be meant literally so metaphorically speaking sure.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and if children, also heirs--heirs of God and coheirs with Christ--seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.

O Lord, let me not be put to shame, for I call upon you; let the wicked be put to shame; let them go silently to Sheol.

The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever; they are not put to shame in evil times; in the days of famine they have abundance.

The Lord within her is righteous; he does no injustice; every morning he shows forth his justice; each dawn he does not fail; but the unjust knows no shame.

You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the Lord your God and there is none else. And my people shall never again be put to shame.

He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother is a son who brings shame and reproach.

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.

Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. For the Lord has called you like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off, says your God. For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord, your Redeemer.

For Jesus the son of man and the the son of God are the same ... a revelation even Jesus professed only came from one who was your Father, hence a son and the ultimate criteria in which it was written; being also an inclusive truth that is common to man.

Through measurement we do the word a great though needful injustice.

• Agree
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0