Not open for further replies.

Jesus My Wisdom

Mar 28, 2004
✟569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jim B said:
John 10
34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?"

What the heck did Jesus' mean by that statement? :scratch:

Jim
\o/

Back at 10:33 the Jews had accused Jesus of blaspheming because they said he was making himself "a god."

So he reponds to this charge. You will notice he says they should not be blaspheming him for claiming to be a son of God if indeed God has called others "gods." The Jews are caught in their own snare.

Jesus is referring to angels. They were called elohim in Scripture (gods). This is also why they are called "sons of God" in the Bible. And that is why Jesus can refute their charge calling himself a son of God being God's very own son. In effect, his answer is: if they can be called gods how much more should I?

Also compare Gal 3:19 and 4:8-9. Paul is here talking about the same beings if you follow the flow of thought. The Jewish idea was that the Law was administered by angelic rule.

JMW

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus is quoting from Psa 82:6-7 "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes." Why is he quoting that? The Jews said He blasphemed by saying "I am the Son of God," so He is pointing out to them that all who truly receive the word of God are sons of God, but He is the Son of God in a much higher & truer sense.

Remember that John 1:12 says "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" When we believe, we receive the power & right to become sons of God, but we have not actually used this right & power and have not actually become sons of God until baptism, as Paul says in Galatians 3:26-27 "For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus, because as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ." By faith we have the right to become sons of God, and by baptism we use that right and actually do become such.

Now, Jesus is not a son of God by adoption, as are Christians. He is and always has been the only begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all works, "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation." (Col 1:15)

Therefore, then, Jesus asks the Jews "If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?" (John 10:35-36) In otherwords, if you yourselves could become sons of God by submitting to His word, why do you accuse me of blashpemy when I say "I am the Son of God" seeing I always have been and was consecrated and sent down to earth out of heaven itself? If even you could be called sons of God, by adoption, certainly I may also since I am the only begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.