Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings "friend of",
the glorious name! I love the name of YAHWEH! I love saying YAHWEH!
Yes, I think it is important to appreciate that this is the Name of God that is revealed in the OT and I personally use this name Yahweh, even replacing LORD when reading from the KJV, both privately and in our meeting. Do you also have an explanation of the meaning of the word Yahweh, as it is a Hebrew word and possibly a little bit obscure in our language.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps it is a longer form of "Yah"? That word is first used in Exodus 15, the song of Moses. Interesting

Strong's Hebrew: 3050. יָהּ (Yah) -- the name of the God of Israel

Genesis 1:1 (YLT)
Strong's Number H3050 matches the Hebrew יָהּ (Yahh),
which occurs 49 times in 45 verses in the Hebrew concordance of the KJV

Exodus 15:1 Then sang Mosheh and the sons of Yisra'el this song unto JEHOVAH<3068>, and they spake saying,--"I will sing to JEHOVAH<3068> for He is exalted exalted,--The horse and his rider hath He cast into the Sea.
2 My might and melody is Yah, and He became mine salvation/y@shuw'ah.--This is my 'El and I will glorify Him, 'Elohiym of my father and I will set Him on high". '
21 And Miriam is responding to them: "Sing ye to JEHOVAH<3068> that to be triumphant He is triumphant
Horse and his rider He heaved into Sea. [Isaiah 12:2/Reve 15:3]

Isa 12:2
Behold, El is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for YAH<H3050> JEHOVAH<3068> is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Revelation 15:3 and They are singing the Song of-Moses, the bond-servant of the God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Sadie316,
I found this article that may shed some light on Yahweh.

The Meaning of Yahweh | Knowing the Bible

The article that you referenced states the following:
The name Yahweh is best known from the famous “I AM” interaction with Moses (Ex. 3) and references the fact that God has always existed and will always exist.
Most translations and commentators accept this present tense “I am that I am”, but notice in the margin of the RV (or ASV) and RSV, an alternative is given “I will be that I will be” or “I will be what I will be”, showing that some modern scholars suggest this alternative reading. Although not popular it appears that this future tense is the correct translation. Not only modern scholars, Tyndale also translated this in the future tense.
Exodus 3:12-14 (Tyndale): 12 And he sayde: I wilbe with the. And this shalbe a token vnto the that I haue sent the: after that thou hast broughte the people out of Egipte, ye shall serue God vppon this mountayne. 13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the childern of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath sent me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem? 14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

The word “ehyeh” used in Exodus 3:14 is the same in the earlier statement in v12, and here the translators give the future tense:
Exodus 3:12 (KJV): And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
Not only does this fix the tense, it also introduces the concept that the Name of God is also associated with some future activity, and that activity was to be Yahweh’s deliverance of Israel out of Egypt Exodus 6:1-8.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings "friend of",Yes, I think it is important to appreciate that this is the Name of God that is revealed in the OT and I personally use this name Yahweh, even replacing LORD when reading from the KJV, both privately and in our meeting. Do you also have an explanation of the meaning of the word Yahweh, as it is a Hebrew word and possibly a little bit obscure in our language.

Kind regards
Trevor
It is "Life/Breath", and it is the Manufacturers Name stamped on every intake and outlet of His gift of life to every soul in which is the "breath of life". From the first intake -YH! to the last outlet, VH!, when He withdraws His gift.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Irrelevant. He denies Yeshua of Nazareth as *the* Messiah, therefore he is an anti-Messiah

So only Christians should be listened to regarding Jewish Scriptures, especially the pronunciation of HaShem? That is a very narrow sighted view but you are welcome to it! Do you have any valid counter of his research?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So only Christians should be listened to regarding Jewish Scriptures, especially the pronunciation of HaShem? ... Do you have any valid counter of his research?

I learned the name of Yahweh from a Rabbi. His explanation was the same as that already given, that it's an acronym that stands for "I Am that I Am." The exact pronunciation is irrelevant, as the vowels are only implied. This was a non-messianic Jewish rabbi. The only people whom I've ever known to use the term "HaShem" are the Christ-hating types of Jews, those who not only disbelieve in Christ but genuinely hate him. I don't know what the connection is, but I'm never calling God HaShem. He said he was to be known through all generations as I Am. I'll stick with that.

Praise Yahweh.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I learned the name of Yahweh from a Rabbi. His explanation was the same as that already given, that it's an acronym that stands for "I Am that I Am." The exact pronunciation is irrelevant, as the vowels are only implied. This was a non-messianic Jewish rabbi. The only people whom I've ever known to use the term "HaShem" are the Christ-hating types of Jews, those who not only disbelieve in Christ but genuinely hate him. I don't know what the connection is, but I'm never calling God HaShem. He said he was to be known through all generations as I Am. I'll stick with that.

Praise Yahweh.

Christ never used the name. He always used circumlocutions for it. He should be our example.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Praise Yahweh.

No, there ARE actual vowel points. Well I am not a Christ hating Jew. And HaShem means "The Name". Jews use it so as not to pronounce YHVH incorrectly. Has nothing to do with Yeshua.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟21,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Me too! Your post gave me cause to laugh joyously! And set a smile on my face, like when a cup of cold water is given to a thirsty man!

Psalms 105:
1 O give thanks unto Yahweh; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.​

2 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works.​

3 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek Yahweh.​

4 Seek Yahweh, and his strength: seek his face evermore.​

Revelation 22:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.​

5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for Yahweh God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Revelation 21:
3 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.​

Amen, hallelu-Yah! Praise ye Yahweh! He gave us His only begotten Son so that we might have life, yea, and more abundantly.

Hallelu-Yahweh

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟21,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praise Yahweh and His holy Name!

I'm thankful for the fact that we still know it.

John 12:
28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.​

29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.​

30 Yahushua answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

I love the Name of Yahweh! May His Name be glorified for ever!

Hallelu-Yahweh

Upvote 0