Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There never has been a proper “W” sound in Hebrew, as much as western and Christian linguists insist there was. Vav has always been pronounced “V,” “oo” or long “O.”
The V is a Germanic influence that came hundreds of years after the defeat of Israel in 135 AD. The nation of Israel was a mixture of different people.

Waw (letter)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is about the Semitic letter. For other uses, see WAW.
← He
Waw
Zayin →

Phoenician

Hebrew
ו‬

Aramaic

Syriac
ܘ

Arabic
و
Phonemic representation w, v, o, u
Position in alphabet 6
Numerical value 6
Alphabetic derivatives of the Phoenician
Greek
Ϝ Υ
Latin
F V U W Y
Cyrillic
У
Waw/Vav (wāw "hook") is the sixth letter of the Semitic abjads, including Phoenician wāw , Aramaic waw , Hebrew vav ו‬, Syriac waw ܘ and Arabic wāw و (sixth in abjadi order; 27th in modern Arabic order).

It represents the consonant [w] (in original Hebrew ), (and [v] in modern Hebrew) if there is a dot in front of or above the vav, it represents the vowels [u] or [o].

It is the origin of Greek Ϝ (digamma) and Υ (upsilon), Latin F and V, and the derived "Latin"- or "Roman"- alphabet letters U, W, and Y.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,214.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No actual vowels WITHIN the "Aleph-bet", but vowel points...yes, so as how to correctly pronounce the word.

More for word distinction than pronunciation, which varied Masoretically.

The 'No Vowels' concept is flawed, and came from a flawed attempt to unify the diverse language.

The Masoretic diacritics are an authorized amendment to the text in Isaiah 9, the Masorah will be on his shoulders.

The divine language (authored from heaven not men) was on the verge of being lost due to 70 years of integrated captivity.

Upvote 0

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,214.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

That is (howbeit accepted) is interpretive, definitively י = יוד and יוד lit. means a 'Hand' as in lit., a 'Manual', whereas 'tittle' is lit. a diacritic mark, as in the Masoretic punctuation, word separation, etc.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The V is a Germanic influence that came hundreds of years after the defeat of Israel in 135 AD. The nation of Israel was a mixture of different people.
Sorry but that does not fit the facts. The Yemenite Jews left Eretz Yisrael on or before 70 ad and their language stayed almost entirely unchanged until the time they left Yemen in 1948. They have a very strong V sound but no W sound.

You are reading the WRONG set of linguists.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without the Masoretic diacritics the historical account as we know it would have literally been lost in translation .
Except those “diacritics” as you call them did not exist until about 1000 ad.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There never has been a proper “W” sound in Hebrew, as much as western and Christian linguists insist there was. Vav has always been pronounced “V,” “oo” or long “O.”
All of the scholars are wrong and you are right? I will have to give that some thought.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All of the scholars are wrong and you are right? I will have to give that some thought.
I did not come up with that on my own. I got it from the scholars. Just a different set than you are listening to.

Jewish linguistic scholars.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but that does not fit the facts. The Yemenite Jews left Eretz Yisrael on or before 70 ad and their language stayed almost entirely unchanged until the time they left Yemen in 1948. They have a very strong V sound but no W sound.

You are reading the WRONG set of linguists.
The Ancient Hebrew Alphabet - Vav

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I did not come up with that on my own. I got it from the scholars. Just a different set than you are listening to.

Jewish linguistic scholars.
I have not been able to get a straight answer from any Jewish scholar.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
More for word distinction than pronunciation, which varied Masoretically

Diacritics? You mean Nekudot? Of course but that WOULD also change the pronunciation and also its meaning when written, then spoken...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
History & Reconstruction
The original pictograph used in the Early Semitic script is a
heb-anc-sm-vav.jpg
, a picture of a tent peg. The tent pegs were made of wood and may have been Y-shaped to prevent the rope from slipping off.

The Modern Hebrew name for this letter is vav, a word meaning "peg" or "hook." This letter is used as a consonant with a "v" sound and as a vowel with a "ow" and "uw" sound. The consonantal and vowel pronunciations of each of the consonant/vowel letters of the Ancient Hebrew language, which include the aleph,, hey,, vav, and yud, were closely related. For instance, the letter hey is "h" and "eh" and the pronunciations of the letter yud is "y" and "iy." Following this pattern, it is probable that the original pronunciation of the letter
heb-anc-sm-vav.jpg
was "w" as the vowel sounds associated with this letter are "ow" and "uw." In addition, in the Modern Arabic language, this letter is pronounced with a "w." Therefore, the original name of this letter would have been waw instead of vav, as it is in Modern Hebrew.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There was no sound “J” in any language on earth before about 800 or 900 ad when it was invented in Arabic.

And the -us ending of “Jesus” came from the masculine ending of Latin.

The names you list, Yeshua and Yehoshua, are our Lord’s name in Aramaic and Joshua in Hebrew, respectively.

As an interesting point, Yeshua is also the Hebrew word for “salvation.”
:preach: Well aware. :)
I was just repeating what was said on the video.

I'm sure most who read here are aware of the 'Ioseus' of earlier times (King James Bible original 1611). 'Jesus' is only about 400 years old.

The 'sus' is not Latin, but Greek,

"It is known that the Greek name endings with sus, seus, and sous were attached by the Greeks to names and geographical areas as means to give honour to their supreme deity, Zeus."
-Dictionary of Christian Lore and Legend
Professor J. C. J. Metford ( the University of Bristol emeritus professor)
Yeshua and Yehoshua are the same name, Yehoshua is like the Full name and Yeshua is a shorter version. Both mean the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
All the Jewish/Hebrew letters are in cursive (curved, not straight) .....

:)
While there is a modern day cursive Hebrew used in day to day life, the bible uses the more proper letters done by a sefer, it is called STA"M.

You can see the cursive style in the second to last line

myriadhebrewblog.png

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
YHUDH is pronounced Yehudah. Remove the Dalet and it makes YHUH, thus it makes complete sense it should be pronounced Yahuah.

But if you care about this, you have already missed the point. Go ahead and try to "correct" me, waste your time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0