Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be way to consumed by this. Jesus (or Yeshua/Yahushua) is the name of God given to us in the New Testament.

I don't think Jehovah is correct, because it appears that name is a combination of Adonai and the Tetragrammaton, YHWH. Yahweh is more likely at least than Jehovah. The video I link below is interesting. It's a Messianic Jew teaching on this idea, and he presents another alternative that I think has some bearing. He suggests that God's name is Yahavah. If you have the 20 minutes it takes to watch the video, I think it'll be worth your time.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My Bible says Jahve wich is the danish version of Yahweh. But personally I do prefer Jehova.

Wich one do you prefer as name?

Are both names good and okay to use for our God?

Would you even argue one of the names is wrong to use?

For example I am quite sure a Jehova's witness would not use Jahweh and always Jehova.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

I've read a Hebrew manuscript with vowel marking that say that the same of the Father is Yehovah while the name of the Son is Yeshua, so that is what their names were known to be as far as the Masoretes were concerned. In the Bible, a person's name had much more to do with who they are as a person and with their authority than to do with what they were referred to as, so someone who mispronounces or misspells Christ's name, but correctly knows who he is and his authority nevertheless has a much better understanding of his name than the other way around. Parents who name their child "Yeshua" are not giving him the name that is above all names because their child has not done what Christ has done and does not have his authority. God is not sitting around waiting for us to finally pronounce His name right before He'll answer our prayers, but rather people who pray to Jesus also have their prayers answered. If a child asks you for something, but they mispronounce a word, but you still understand what they are wanting, then they communicated successfully, so how much more so does the Father know what we need before we ask (Matthew 6:8)?

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
My Bible says Jahve wich is the danish version of Yahweh. But personally I do prefer Jehova.

For example I am quite sure a Jehova's witness would not use Jahweh and always Jehova.

I have had a few conversations with Jehovah witnesses and they insist that God's name is Jehovah.
I have tried to relate to them that the is letter J is not in the Hebrew alphabet and the name Jehovah was not used until the 16th century in Bibles printed by William Tyndale.

Jehovah is a artificial latinized version of Yahweh/Adonai.
Jehovah | Meaning & Use

Jehovah - Historical Origins of English Words and Phrases — LiveJournal

The first name the Hebrews use for God was through Melchizedek the high priest and King of the Canaanite City Salem which was El or Elohim.

Elohim | Hebrew god

When Moses asked God who to tell the Israelites sent him - God told him to say Yahweh - I Am in English.
They cease to use the name Yahweh out of fear of using it in vain and began calling him Lord.

Yahweh | YHWH, Adonai, Elohim, Meaning, & Facts

The name Jehovah was not given to the Hebrews / Israelites by the Lord nor was it ever recognized by them.
But then neither is the name Jesus - his Hebrew name is Yeshua.
Different cultures, different people, different names, are given so as long as we're speaking of the Lord God Almighty - the first, the last, the beginning, the end - does it really matter - even the names of the ancient days past and the present days may not even be close to his true name.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I see both names in our hymnals and various Christian texts

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Well my friend he is referred to as both!.But if my information serves me right YHWH is the Hebrew spelling and name for him,and interpreted to Latin its JHVH which was translated to English.Both to me cause goosebumps,because it’s such a holy name.Also avoid Jehovahs witnesses,they’re a cult that bases their false doctrine on Arianism(Don’t look that up,I don’t want you falling for its lies)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Because of the Jehovah Witnesses, I tend to prefer Yahweh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say neither. Jesus Christ of Nazareth called Him Father and so shall we.
Blessings
Here is a link to His name per Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Father.
BibleGateway - Keyword Search: (Father )

Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It appears this version is not official for anyone >

YHWH > with three syllables, for the three Persons of the Trinity.

YEH for our Father . . .

oo for Jesus the Son . . .

AW with power of breath for the Holy Spirit to show us how awesome God is.

YEH-oo-AW

"oo" is lower to represent how Jesus came low to this earth and low to death.

Upvote 0