• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

WWYD? Youth pastor situation

Discussion in 'Full and Part Time Ministry' started by gym_class_hero, Oct 14, 2021.

1. gym_class_hero

gym_class_hero Well-Known Member

+900
    Christian
    Married
    Our YP notified the elders he is looking for a new job. We are undergoing a transition as our Senior Pastor is retiring and we were counting on the YP to help us through this transition.
    We are praying about how to handle this situation. He has one foot out the door, should we give him severance pay and cut him loose? We have a volunteer who is more than capable of filling his spot.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. WolfGate

WolfGate Senior Member Supporter

+1,496
    Christian
    Married
    Unless there is something key you are not telling us, there is no way I would fire him for telling you he is seeking another job. Being a bit blunt, but that is really what you are talking about here. You had an idea of how he would help in your transition, it doesn't align with his, so you are considering punishing him for being transparent and honest.

I believe a better course of action would be to be honest and transparent with him and be supportive of his goals as well. Let him know you are in a more difficult situation because he is also looking for a new position and you were counting on him to be a key support during the senior pastor search. Let him know you understand he is looking but you still need and expect him to also actively support the church and elders during this transition just as you are supporting him. Seek agreement with him on what that will look like. Then also engage the volunteer so if he does find a new position that is ready to transition smoothly.

Be fair and clear and act with integrity. That will only make you more attractive to your upcoming pastoral candidates.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Leaf473

Leaf473 Well-Known Member

+536
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Prayer is definitely the right place to start.

Myself, I don't think it's good to try to keep people in a ministry position that they don't feel positive about.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might.

4. gym_class_hero

+900
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for your response. Prayer is the place to start, indeed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. gym_class_hero

+900
    Christian
    Married
    There are a few other issues. Thanks for your response.

6. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,994
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Excellent post.

7. spiritfilledjm

spiritfilledjm Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,257
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Cutting him loose always leaves a bad taste in somebodies mouth. I've seen it happen so many times where a person puts in 2 weeks notice and the job ends up firing them instead. I've always viewed that as unprofessional of the employer. I would have the YP train the volunteer to take over and assist with that transition until the YP has completely quit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. spiritfilledjm

spiritfilledjm Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,257
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    To add, there was never a transition period with youth when I was young. It was always, the youth pastor announced he was leaving and bam, next week, new guy. It helps if it's somebody already involved but if it's just a fresh face, it would be very good for the teens to be able to build a rapport with the new leader before the old leader moves on to new things.

9. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,162
    Christian
    Married
    Yep ... tell me I should give you 2 weeks notice ... and then, when I do, fire me for doing so.

I agree with a few of the sentiments given. The YP has been must have been reliable and responsible to this point, else you would be wanting him to fill in for the pastor when he leaves. Try to work out a mutually agreeable deal, ... and, at the very least, you'll make for a smoother transition for the new YP, and perhaps, the pastor ...

10. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,162
    Christian
    Married
    Honestly, it sounds like you are apt to respond emotionally, rather than in the best interests of the congregation. Why would you fire the YP for telling you he's looking for another position ?

With the pastor on the way out, that would cutting off your nose to spite your face. Be gracious enough to allow him to serve for as long as he is willing ...

11. Leaf473

Leaf473 Well-Known Member

+536
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Is the youth pastor actually wanting to stay, but feels God is calling him somewhere else? If that's the case, then I'd say let him stay as long as he is blessing the congregation.

That would be another way of looking at it, just to put that out there.

12. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+6,481
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    You could always just ask him what he wants. Maybe he's asking for an excuse to leave and would rather have the severance pay than to remain on the job. Also ask him why he is seeking another job. If he's been unhappy about something that is simple to fix, then maybe he would rather stay than go to another job. You don't know unless you ask. It may have nothing to do with the church at all or that God is calling him elsewhere or even that he wants to leave church ministry altogether and do something secular. I agree though about not punishing him because of his honesty.

13. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+16,275
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I agree with Wolfgate, basically.

But here is another aspect to consider; from the time one starts to look for a ministry appointment, to the time one starts a new ministry appointment, is not usually very short. In my experience it tends to take about six months to find the right new thing, negotiate what they need, tie up loose ends with the old place, move house, etc etc. Six months is a long time to have good ministry from someone established in the role, during a difficult transition time. I wouldn't just throw that away because you're disappointed he's looking to move on.

14. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,986
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I wouldn't encourage to ask someone to go against God's leadings, this can be disastrous. Let him go, and work with who remains, trust God.