WWE: Sport or Entertainment?

JDawggS316

Jul 31, 2008
✟15,267.00
Faith
Baptist
Growing up I remember the days of Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant and the Ultimate Warrior and the excitement I felt when the "beat up the bad guy."

As I got older I soon realized that things didn't really seem as they appeared. Meaning people who seemingly got knocked out where never actually physically touched by their opponent. Following this discovery I noticed some wrestlers messing up on their in-ring promos and actually started over from the beginning! ;)

Now-a-days I have come to the FULL realization that professional wrestling is scripted.

My question to the community is whether or not you feel the WWE has any sports elements to it? Or is it more theater, with little-to-no sports aspect at all?

"Whatcha gonna do brother!?"

SwiftShadowFox00

swift shadow fox
Jul 23, 2009
Pasadena - California
✟15,144.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
WWE IS REEAALLL AS HECK!!!!!!
of course it is, i mean seriously these guys have superpowers. i mean its soooo real. they can like fly forever. im tellin you all, it real

haha who am i kidding here? ill laugh if someone doesnt read this little PS and starts talking crap about my "point of veiw" HAHAH. God Bless

Upvote 0

Alina17

Aug 7, 2009
Romania
✟15,147.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly real, but it's still a sport. Look at all those skills they got and the stunts they perform. Sure, the results of the matches are made up and sure, the lines are previously written, that's the entertainment part. Anyway, fake or real, I know that there are lost of serious injuries and even deaths. One of The Rock's best friends died in the ring. Plus, they don't show those "Don't try this" moments for nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ruckhard82

Aug 12, 2009
✟8,004.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A sport involves competition, and wrestling isn't a competition. It's a scripted event with a winner determined long before anyone sets foot in the ring. It certainly requires athletic abilities to preform many of the stunts, but then again, doing stunts for a movie requires them as well. It's not a sport, merely a venue of entertainment.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A sport involves competition, and wrestling isn't a competition. It's a scripted event with a winner determined long before anyone sets foot in the ring. It certainly requires athletic abilities to preform many of the stunts, but then again, doing stunts for a movie requires them as well. It's not a sport, merely a venue of entertainment.

Kill the merely and I'd agree. It is entertainment that requires high athletic abilities. Nothing wrong with that. One can try to guess the outcome, just as one can try to guess who killed J.R. But one should remember they are trying to guess the result of a soap opera, not a sporting event.

Upvote 0

Ruckhard82

Aug 12, 2009
✟8,004.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Kill the merely and I'd agree. It is entertainment that requires high athletic abilities. Nothing wrong with that. One can try to guess the outcome, just as one can try to guess who killed J.R. But one should remember they are trying to guess the result of a soap opera, not a sporting event.

I'll grant you I haven't really watched any pro-wrestling since Hulk Hogan was top dog, but story telling is a big part of the entertainment. I certainly wouldn't knock the athletic ability of the wrestlers, which is usually quite impressive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums