Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am half german, half hungarian, and living in Canada. I am Canadian though, being first generation.
I would like to find out about my heritage, and I do enjoy it, but always there's always this feeling of shame.
I never really worried about it until this Rememberance Day.
I was at work, (I work at a public library) and one of the librarians mentioned how no one was at the Rememberance Day ceremonies.
I said something light about how, I'm sure people would go if they could..but they have work and such. (I mean here we are, both missing the ceremony because of work)
And she looked up at me and snapped "You could be walking along those steets speaking german."

I quickly, and I admit without thinking said "I wish I was." (I am currently trying to learn german through my Oma.) I said this, of course, in reference to my learning that I was doing, and merly expressed that I wish I knew the language.
She then asked if I was upset that vets aren't being recognized.

"Of couse I am, it's awful what they had to go through, but the only people in my family that died were in the German army."
It's true, the only people my family lost in ww2 were on the opposing side.

Now, I always get the feeling that I'm wrong somehow, and that it's my fault that I'm german, and that she views me as evil or something.
My Oma had to flee Germany, hates Hitler, and her brothers were in the German army, but weren't Nazi's (at least that's what she tells me)
But, when I read a book like "Night" or any other holocost book, I feel guilty.

It's odd..feeling dirty like this.

~Jenka

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one chooses their parents! :sigh:

You are a person of great worth to God, who sent His son to die in your place (and mine), that we may be reconciled with Him, and each other.

I have a sister-in-law who is half German, and half Jewish, born in 1940...

and German and English ancestors who fought each other in 2 World Wars...

and Northern and Southern ancestors who fought each other in the (U. S.) Civil War...

lots of reconciling to be done. :(

Fortunately, Jesus' sacrifice makes it possible! :clap:

Upvote 0

Jenka

ISCARIOT AGENCY XIII - Agent VII :1st-C Info Tech
Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you. :hug:

I know no one can choose, but I'm very defensive of my family and I am proud of my family as well.
My Oma suffered greatly trying to get out of Germany.
I actually am attempting to write her story, as she has arthritis and cannot write.
My mother warned me and said "It will rip your heart out, not only because it's horrible, but because it's personal."

I know it'll hurt, but my Oma is an amazing person, and if I don't do this now...well, who knows how long she'll be here?

~Jenka

Upvote 0

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
A lot of Germans were not party members. I think only the SS units had to swear allegiance to Hitler and the Nazi party.
Regardless, it's not you and you are Canadian.
It's luck of the draw. If more Germans than French had inhabited Canada you all probably would have German as a second language.
You could also look at it this way, what's the primary or secondary language of North American Indians?

Upvote 0

Jenka

ISCARIOT AGENCY XIII - Agent VII :1st-C Info Tech
Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know I'm Canadian, but it's still different when it's /family/ you know?
It's also hard to be judged just because of your family..I actually had a german friend (born in Germany moved to Canada) harassed in school, he was always being called nazi and other such awful names. :(

~Jen

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jenka said:
I am half german, half hungarian, and living in Canada. I am Canadian though, being first generation.
I would like to find out about my heritage, and I do enjoy it, but always there's always this feeling of shame.
I never really worried about it until this Rememberance Day.
I was at work, (I work at a public library) and one of the librarians mentioned how no one was at the Rememberance Day ceremonies.
I said something light about how, I'm sure people would go if they could..but they have work and such. (I mean here we are, both missing the ceremony because of work)
And she looked up at me and snapped "You could be walking along those steets speaking german."

I quickly, and I admit without thinking said "I wish I was." (I am currently trying to learn german through my Oma.) I said this, of course, in reference to my learning that I was doing, and merly expressed that I wish I knew the language.
She then asked if I was upset that vets aren't being recognized.

"Of couse I am, it's awful what they had to go through, but the only people in my family that died were in the German army."
It's true, the only people my family lost in ww2 were on the opposing side.

Now, I always get the feeling that I'm wrong somehow, and that it's my fault that I'm german, and that she views me as evil or something.
My Oma had to flee Germany, hates Hitler, and her brothers were in the German army, but weren't Nazi's (at least that's what she tells me)
But, when I read a book like "Night" or any other holocost book, I feel guilty.

It's odd..feeling dirty like this.

~Jenka
I can defiantly see why.

I would feel dirty, too. Not because its true but because of the stigma.

Even if your ancestors were pro hitler/nazisim... so what? They had their reasons, if they did any crimes, its not your fault. Keep learning, it sounds VERY interesting! I wish I had a background like yours! :D

If I were you, I'd sympathise, naturally, more with the german army. I already sympathise with them greatly. If I had relatives who died in the war on that side, I know I'd sympathise with them even more.

Although I'm against all war, I don't see why, if the Allies on the western front can feel proud of their fighting relatives, that "charlies allies" (aka, germany, japan etc) can't be proud, either. Both sides had their reasons.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0