• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Writers Block

Discussion in 'The Writers Guild' started by chaoticfirefly, Aug 17, 2011.

1. chaoticfirefly

chaoticfirefly reform jew

+1,082
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    When you get writers block, how do you get rid of it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. BleedingHeart

BleedingHeart Well-Known Member

+40
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    By writing.
    And no, I'm not saying this to be a jerk.

A quote by Phillip Pullman, author of His Dark Materials:
    "Writer's block…a lot of howling nonsense would be avoided if, in every sentence containing the word WRITER, that word was taken out and the word PLUMBER substituted; and the result examined for the sense it makes. Do plumbers get plumber's block? What would you think of a plumber who used that as an excuse not to do any work that day?

The fact is that writing is hard work, and sometimes you don't want to do it, and you can't think of what to write next, and you're fed up with the whole damn business. Do you think plumbers don't feel like that about their work from time to time? Of course there will be days when the stuff is not flowing freely. What you do then is MAKE IT UP. I like the reply of the composer Shostakovich to a student who complained that he couldn't find a theme for his second movement. “Never mind the theme! Just write the movement!” he said.

Writer's block is a condition that affects amateurs and people who aren't serious about writing. So is the opposite, namely inspiration, which amateurs are also very fond of. Putting it another way: a professional writer is someone who writes just as well when they're not inspired as when they are."
    — Philip Pullman

3. miss-a

miss-a Newbie

+797
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Also, according to Anne LaMott, you're not really blocked sometimes but rather, you are empty and need to be filled back up, i.e. take a walk in nature, read your Bible, do something that recharges you, and then go back to the computer and write. Sometimes there's a bit of burn-out involved. As depicted above, we need to not use this as an excuse not to write, but taking a re-charge break can help.

4. BleedingHeart

BleedingHeart Well-Known Member

+40
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yes, recharge if you need too. But try not to rely too much on your desire to be inspired to write, or whatever you are writing won't get written. I wrote an 800 page book over the course of 4 years and much of that time I was slogging through it the way a person might slog through a river made out of solid concrete. Sometimes a setting change can help. I noticed that when I took my laptop to the campus or to my mom's house that the writing would come easier, but maybe that was because I had gotten into easier segments of the book at the time.

5. mgs_pepe

mgs_pepe Author, Screenwriter, and Musician

+1
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Simple, do writing on another project.

6. heron

heron Legend

+893
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Ditto. My best release of stress or lack of inspiration is to start a new project, even if I don't have time to add something new.