• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Wrestling with Religion

KingGeorge

Sep 17, 2018
Toronto
✟18,901.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

My battles with OCD and anxiety has been going on for a year about now, and I'm really losing my patience. I really appreciate any encouragement and help, and I desperately need it. To put it simply, I cannot stop trying to figure out minute details about the faith, and thinking deeply about certain topics. Some background on me; I was not born into the Christian faith, I was what I would call agnostic/atheist until about a year ago. I didn't really contemplate the existence of God for most of my life until I really started suffering with anxiety and depression. My belief came about from my own decision, but along with my spiritual growth came so many creeping anxieties and worries about God and religion. I'm going to describe my thoughts in a moment, so please buckle in to your seats!

Firstly, I honestly fear putting 100% of my trust into the Bible, or any Christian priest, Church, etc. The reason being is that in the back of my mind I fear that churches are run by people with malicious intents. I imagine the worst case scenario: What if, all these religions were created in order to 'hook' us people into believing what some priest or holy book says in order to control us? And I honestly believe this is possible! I mean, Christians say to me that the Bible is 100% true and factual, even though it's a library of books written by different authors and in different times, we're just told to believe in in 100% as if it's the literal word of God. This creates a lot of anxiety because now I'm imagining that this is some lame excuse to make me hooked on God's Word as His literal word, thus easily manipulated into doing things I would never want to do. For example, I've seen TV people literally scam people for money, saying "Donate me all your money, and watch God work out everything else." People can warp the biblical message as well, so how do I know that what I believe is true or not? And there are so many numerous reasons else why I feel afraid of these different religions. However; I myself want to have faith in God, but I feel like the Bible and the Church are just "in the way of it". How can I go against my gut feeling and honestly believe, or not believe???

But my biggest problem is not even that. I was recently kept for 2 weeks in the hopital as an inpatient because I believed I was the second coming of Jesus, no joke. I was up for nights on end worrying and philosphizing about God, reason being is at the time I was really doubting the faith and thinking that I should just leave it because I can't figure out all the details of the faith, until I came upon some memories of when God responded to my prayers. And my mind raced, creating all this evidence, and I really believed I was Jesus or something, enlightened at the age of 19. I screamed at my parents, until they called the ambulance, and I was taken to hospital. Just before I was put on meds I came to realize what actually happened and realized I was delusional, and I was so ashamed in what I did. But this case illustrates to me that it's honestly very easy to go nuts if you think deeply about God. What if God did that? What if this? I thought so deeply about it until CLICK! My mind went wirling and I lost myself to my "delusion". Nowadays, I believe myself to be crazy to believe in God. I am intuitively feeling like God is a puppeteer in my life, just controlling me, putting forth this destiny on me to be like Jesus, but I don't want that. I already have a nice life ahead of me, why this, God? But this is my problem, the fact that I can really delude myself with my thinking, and I'm so frustrated?! Why do most people NOT fear so much as I do? Am I just thinking too creatively, too independently or "freely", should I just shut up and believe the Bible and stop thinking about all of this stuff in my head?? Should I trust the church, even though they dont have such a great rep.?

Also I contemplate whether some events were due to God, and when I honestly believe, I get anxious, thinking "then what is God trying to tell me??". Or, if God helps me through other people, how can I tell, so that I can thank Him when He does help. Things like this really trouble me.

I ask a lot of questions, because, seems like to me, I'm not much of a religious person. I feel like I have one foot in religious faith, the other foot in agnosticism. I like to think freely, without attaching myself to any one religion, but again I can't really think logically about everything either! I can't logically figure out who God is without putting forth some TRUST! And this is the hardest thing for me, TRUST! So I think I have to start again, from the beginning, and really try to trust, and not THINK! Anybody feel what I'm going through? I honestly am not sure how to begin this journey, when I'm so obsessive. I've posted many times before, but I guess that didn't help because I was always too much of a thinker. How does one simply, TRUST? Especially if one isn't deeply religious?

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

My battles with OCD and anxiety has been going on for a year about now, and I'm really losing my patience. I really appreciate any encouragement and help, and I desperately need it. To put it simply, I cannot stop trying to figure out minute details about the faith, and thinking deeply about certain topics. Some background on me; I was not born into the Christian faith, I was what I would call agnostic/atheist until about a year ago. I didn't really contemplate the existence of God for most of my life until I really started suffering with anxiety and depression. My belief came about from my own decision, but along with my spiritual growth came so many creeping anxieties and worries about God and religion. I'm going to describe my thoughts in a moment, so please buckle in to your seats!

Firstly, I honestly fear putting 100% of my trust into the Bible, or any Christian priest, Church, etc. The reason being is that in the back of my mind I fear that churches are run by people with malicious intents. I imagine the worst case scenario: What if, all these religions were created in order to 'hook' us people into believing what some priest or holy book says in order to control us? And I honestly believe this is possible! I mean, Christians say to me that the Bible is 100% true and factual, even though it's a library of books written by different authors and in different times, we're just told to believe in in 100% as if it's the literal word of God. This creates a lot of anxiety because now I'm imagining that this is some lame excuse to make me hooked on God's Word as His literal word, thus easily manipulated into doing things I would never want to do. For example, I've seen TV people literally scam people for money, saying "Donate me all your money, and watch God work out everything else." People can warp the biblical message as well, so how do I know that what I believe is true or not? And there are so many numerous reasons else why I feel afraid of these different religions. However; I myself want to have faith in God, but I feel like the Bible and the Church are just "in the way of it". How can I go against my gut feeling and honestly believe, or not believe???

But my biggest problem is not even that. I was recently kept for 2 weeks in the hopital as an inpatient because I believed I was the second coming of Jesus, no joke. I was up for nights on end worrying and philosphizing about God, reason being is at the time I was really doubting the faith and thinking that I should just leave it because I can't figure out all the details of the faith, until I came upon some memories of when God responded to my prayers. And my mind raced, creating all this evidence, and I really believed I was Jesus or something, enlightened at the age of 19. I screamed at my parents, until they called the ambulance, and I was taken to hospital. Just before I was put on meds I came to realize what actually happened and realized I was delusional, and I was so ashamed in what I did. But this case illustrates to me that it's honestly very easy to go nuts if you think deeply about God. What if God did that? What if this? I thought so deeply about it until CLICK! My mind went wirling and I lost myself to my "delusion". Nowadays, I believe myself to be crazy to believe in God. I am intuitively feeling like God is a puppeteer in my life, just controlling me, putting forth this destiny on me to be like Jesus, but I don't want that. I already have a nice life ahead of me, why this, God? But this is my problem, the fact that I can really delude myself with my thinking, and I'm so frustrated?! Why do most people NOT fear so much as I do? Am I just thinking too creatively, too independently or "freely", should I just shut up and believe the Bible and stop thinking about all of this stuff in my head?? Should I trust the church, even though they dont have such a great rep.?

Also I contemplate whether some events were due to God, and when I honestly believe, I get anxious, thinking "then what is God trying to tell me??". Or, if God helps me through other people, how can I tell, so that I can thank Him when He does help. Things like this really trouble me.

I ask a lot of questions, because, seems like to me, I'm not much of a religious person. I feel like I have one foot in religious faith, the other foot in agnosticism. I like to think freely, without attaching myself to any one religion, but again I can't really think logically about everything either! I can't logically figure out who God is without putting forth some TRUST! And this is the hardest thing for me, TRUST! So I think I have to start again, from the beginning, and really try to trust, and not THINK! Anybody feel what I'm going through? I honestly am not sure how to begin this journey, when I'm so obsessive. I've posted many times before, but I guess that didn't help because I was always too much of a thinker. How does one simply, TRUST? Especially if one isn't deeply religious?

A slow personal relationship the Lord, walk step by step and as you go trust your development with him. Faith is knowing you can trust Jesus as you're changed within and as a result your life. Often it's difficult for me too wanting to know it all ahead of time, fearing I'm always lost. But when I stop to think what good has come into my life and what now I "could" (not necessarily "should") in return it helps. Especially when the focus of being a Christian is just following Jesus who already been there and it's more about simply listening. The knowledge and understanding will come as needed. So my hope which you too could rely is have love in seeking God, do everything as much in spirit as you want in truth.

It's a nice reminder to think about how Jesus himself wrestled with God's word. When he was baptized by John, the Spirit lead him in temptation as Satan tried to manipulate him by perverting (twisting) God's word taking it out of context. What helped our Lord to overcome wasn't his own will but the whole word of God. He had prepared himself by taking scriptures to heart, what the Father had said and the context of those words in mind. So when his soul was troubled or threaten the evil or Satan were defeated.

Try to be lead in the Spirit and discerning what's fruitful by the good of God. How has God prepared you and what has he given you to overcome. His word we have received by Jesus' Gospel. The instructions and teachings are good news about God's mercy, best understood by Jesus' willingness to forgive sins. All that's needed is your humility coming to him and genuine willingness to accept him into your life.

In Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,116.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Hello, Trust comes from knowing the person you wanted to trust...and knowing that person Only comes when he chose to reveals himself to you....
So is the same as God, in order for you and me to trust or believe in Him we must first ask to reveal Himself to us, and the process of growing in that knowledge of knowing Him is what the Bible called FAITH...Romans 10 :17

James 1: 5,6 "..If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to All without finding fault, and it will be given to you...verse 6.But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt,.......

1Corinthians 2:10-12.." These are the things God has revealed to us by His Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, so we may understand what God has freely given us."

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I think it's OK to have doubts. To wrestle with big questions about God, and Christianity, and the church. The church is not perfect. Christianity is not perfect. We don't have to expect perfection from them, although that would certainly be ideal. Only God is perfect, and He is the one we need to get to know. I agree with other commenters that getting to know God, building a personal relationship through spending time with Him, is key to learning to trust Him more. But I think that, often, those of us who are "black and white" thinkers tend obsessively try to figure things out, to try to place everything between solid lines. It's OK to have questions - use those to research, to strengthen your faith and push you closer to God. (I'm a big fan of Christian apologetics! Check out speakers like Ravi Zacharias!) It's OK to recognize that the church, and the people in it, will not be perfect, and to think critically (though not judgmentally) about those things. We don't have to go to a church that has definite unBiblical practices; we can look for a church that we believe is adhering to Biblical standards, although likely we will never find a church whose members believe exactly the way we do in every detail.

I'd encourage you to keep asking questions, to allow yourself to think critically, but not to become obsessed with or embroiled in your questions. Go to God with your questions, and ask Him to keep leading you closer to Him. To me, that's what sets Christianity apart from other religions - it's not just a religion or set of rules, it's a relationship with a God who loves us and wants to help us! I'd also recommend reading works by authors such as C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity, etc.) who also had questions, and who moved from an atheistic worldview to a Christian one.

I guess I didn't really address the OCD portion of your concerns, but I'm willing to talk more about that if you want, too. :)

• Winner
Reactions: KingGeorge
Upvote 0