Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if this is the right area for this discussion so we will see. I came upon this info and it boggled my mind. This person starts talking about the Sabbath then after a short while he talks about the Exodus. All the calculations are done by a Us Quartermaster General.

Reactions: 029b10

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Could we get the main points, please?

The point is the magnitude of the logistics of feeding and watering three million people that came out of Egypt; thousands of tons per day for forty years.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The point is the magnitude of the logistics of feeding and watering three million people that came out of Egypt; thousands of tons per day for forty years.
I see. Yes. Well, assuming, to build on Aureus' point that Exodus is A. literal history, and B. involved those sorts of numbers.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It appears to be a bunch of numbers of what the Israelites would have needed provided to them by God... you know assuming that the Exodus actually happened and all that.

I can understand an unbeliever not believing but for those who believe should know what it is that they believe.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I see. Yes. Well, assuming, to build on Aureus' point that Exodus is A. literal history, and B. involved those sorts of numbers.

The numbers may not be true; it is an assumption how many came out of Egypt; it was an army General who provided the info, whose job is to provide logistics for the US army; he knows how many tons of food and water is required for a three million man army.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The numbers may not be true; it is an assumption how many came out of Egypt; it was an army General who provided the info, whose job is to provide logistics for the US army; he knows how many tons of food and water is required for a three million man army.
Which is well and good... assuming that, yes, there was an otherwise unsupported 3 million man army worth of Israelites.

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

Yes and I am sure he did a very good job of estimating the numbers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I can understand an unbeliever not believing but for those who believe should know what it is that they believe.

Biblical inerrancy isn't one of the fundamental tenets of the Christian religion. One can be a believing Christian--who really does beleive Jesus is the Christ, the eternally begotten Son of the Father, the Logos, who suffered and died for our sake and who really did rise from the dead, sits at the right hand of the Father, and is coming again in glory to judge the quick and the dead--and still accept that some of the historical tidbits of the Old Testament might have been fudged or otherwise were less about strict historiography as they were about Israel's identification narrative as the covenant people of God.

I am inclined to believe that the Exodus, the single most important part of Israel's identity narrative, does have historical basis; but that it is still possible that it happened differently and perhaps quite less in such a grandiose way as described in the texts. This isn't a make or break part of my faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Biblical inerrancy isn't one of the fundamental tenets of the Christian religion. One can be a believing Christian--who really does beleive Jesus is the Christ, the eternally begotten Son of the Father, the Logos, who suffered and died for our sake and who really did rise from the dead, sits at the right hand of the Father, and is coming again in glory to judge the quick and the dead--and still accept that some of the historical tidbits of the Old Testament might have been fudged or otherwise were less about strict historiography as they were about Israel's identification narrative as the covenant people of God.

I am inclined to believe that the Exodus, the single most important part of Israel's identity narrative, does have historical basis; but that it is still possible that it happened differently and perhaps quite less in such a grandiose way as described in the texts. This isn't a make or break part of my faith.

-CryptoLutheran

You seem to have read something in my word that I never intended. I am not familiar with the fine detail of Exodus but when I saw the video with the logistics I didn't believe it. I believe there are around three million Syrian refugees in camps and I wouldn't expect them to have that magnitude of logistics being freighted.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

-CryptoLutheran

Unfortunately many people would disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It appears to be a bunch of numbers of what the Israelites would have needed provided to them by God... you know assuming that the Exodus actually happened and all that.

According to Exodus, God made the Israelite so appealing in the eyes of the Egyptians, they just "gave" them all their valuables... because you know, it's not theft when it's done by trickery...

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,861.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I always considered the number of Israelites in Exodus to just be an exaggeration, which people are prone to.

Have you tried doing the maths your self, I have; I think it was 75 who Jacob took to Egypt and they were there about 230 years or 12 generations and if half were women and had an average of six kids they would have numbered around 100,000,000; if the averaged around 3 kids they would have numbered around 30,000.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Have you tried doing the maths your self, I have; I think it was 75 who Jacob took to Egypt and they were there about 230 years or 12 generations and if half were women and had an average of six kids they would have numbered around 100,000,000; if the averaged around 3 kids they would have numbered around 30,000.

And if the males were put to death to compensate for overbreeding, they would've numbered far less...

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Personally, I always considered the number of Israelites in Exodus to just be an exaggeration, which people are prone to.

I doubt that the Exodus had even happened.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0