Would You Vote in an Atheist for President?

Should the President need to be Christian?

• Total voters

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So Biden is "out." Okay, but we still don't have a concrete answer about all the other contenders and former occupants of the White House.
I have no idea whether he is "out", or not. Nothing I've said is about him, or any other politician. His standing with God, & its character, is ultimately between him, and God. And the same goes for all politicians, and all mankind. Our human judgements of others (and of ourselves), made without a Divine revelation, can never be more than prudential, and may be mistaken.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I begin from a position that the majority of politicians lie for a living, pander to the most number of votes, and don't really do what they say. That includes religion. I'd be hard pressed to say who is and who isn't. It's best to let God sort this one out.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟158,880.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's best to let God sort this one out.

I thought the electorate had that job. But, yes, it is action on policy that counts.

As Marx* pointed out: 'Sincerity - if you can fake that you've got it made.'

(* Groucho, not Karl.)

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea whether he is "out", or not. Nothing I've said is about him, or any other politician.
Really? So when you wrote this: "If people are truly religious, they will show it by the quality of their lives; not by making a big hoo-hah about it" the president did not come to mind as fitting the description to a T? That's interesting, but it doesn't change anything.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Really? So when you wrote this: "If people are truly religious, they will show it by the quality of their lives; not by making a big hoo-hah about it" the president did not come to mind as fitting the description to a T? That's interesting, but it doesn't change anything.
I meant what I wrote, both times. And I don’t see a contradiction. I did not have anyone in mind.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I meant what I wrote, both times.
I don't doubt it.

And I don’t see a contradiction. I did not have anyone in mind.
I didn't notice that you're in the UK. That might explain the disconnect from what I mentioned. And that was just a passing thought anyway, not a big deal in any case. :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So does your president have to be Christian? or religious..? or spiritual..? Or does that stuff not matter much compared to political views.

To mention UK politics. Many prime ministers in the UK have felt compelled to pay lip service to Christianity. Perhaps it is similar with American Politics? I would rather someone just came out and said they were an atheist, if so. I wouldn't vote for someone who I thought was being deceptive. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nearly every president in the US has been a Christian. I was just wondering if that plays a major role in your decision making, or if that's just a coincidence these days...

So does your president have to be Christian? or religious..? or spiritual..? Or does that stuff not matter much compared to political views.
Donald Trump was an atheist.
So was Dwight Eisenhower.
And Abraham Lincoln.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donald Trump was an atheist.
So was Dwight Eisenhower.
And Abraham Lincoln.
President Trump self-identified as a non-denominational CHristian and has several times been spotted going to an Episcopal Church in Florida.
Eisenhower wasn't part of any church when he was elected, but he joined the Presbyterian church soon after and had prayer as a central part of his administration, including being the first President to participate in the National Prayer Breakfast.
Lincoln also didn't seem to be part of any organized religion, but he also mentioned God several times in his private papers and conversations. Every single US President has at least nominally been Christian. For that matter, even though the "nones" are something like 25% of COngress, as of now they make up .2% of Congress. Being religious, and specifically being Christian, is of great political value in this country.

Upvote 0