Would You Vote in an Atheist for President?

Should the President need to be Christian?

• Total voters

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's just silly. It is more than possible to be president and not have a war. And that's not what the Sermon on the Mount addressed anyway.
What about the American Revolutionary war? Would you kill Christians over money? It seems you would kill me but I would refuse to kill you... How about British "Christians" killing Nazi "Christians? Or any other war that had "Christians" killing "Christians"?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
What about the American Revolutionary war? Would you kill Christians over money? It seems you would kill me but I would refuse to kill you... How about British "Christians" killing Nazi "Christians? Or any other war that had "Christians" killing "Christians"?

You seem to keep moving the goal posts.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What about the American Revolutionary war?
You asked a HYPOTHETICAL question about ANY Christian as president at ANY time. There have been wars, yes, but there have also been periods of peace. You cannot ask about all possible scenarios...and then turn around and demand that your question be taken to refer only to the to circumstances and decisions that most offend you as though they apply to every time and every president.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You asked a HYPOTHETICAL question about ANY Christian as president at ANY time. There have been wars, yes, but there have also been periods of peace. You cannot ask about all possible scenarios...and then turn around and demand that your question be taken to refer only to the to circumstances and decisions that most offend you as though they apply to every time and every president.
The world plays by Satan's rules. That is how nations survive.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't need my doctor to be a practicing Christian in order to trust them with my physical well-being. What I expect from a physician is that they are qualified to practice medicine.

It's the same thing here.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't need my doctor to be a practicing Christian in order to trust them with my physical well-being. What I expect from a physician is that they are qualified to practice medicine.

It's the same thing here.

-CryptoLutheran
If my car needs repair, my #1 criteria is whether he or she is a good mechanic. #2 is whether he or she is honest. The rest is really not pertinent to the need I have.

Although, I would prefer the mechanic not be a Trump supporter, I can look past that if criteria #1 and #2 are met. If he or she is really good, I will buy that mechanic a Trump hat and become a repeat customer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of the most moral people I know are not necessarily people who have ever, or would ever, step foot inside a church building.

Some of the most hateful, grifting, bigoted people I know are people who claim to be True Christians.

You definitely do not need to be religious to be moral or even good.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,193.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We know Joe Biden is a convinced Christian and observant Catholic. What do we know about his predecessors? I wonder how many American Presidents have paid lip-service to Christianity just for the votes.

I am not sure whether it makes a difference to policy or political principle. Lots of bad people profess and practise religion. Lots of unbelievers are good people.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We know Joe Biden is a convinced Christian and observant Catholic.
The Catholic Church itself doesn't seem certain of that. Going to church regularly and flashing a rosary in public isn't sufficient for anyone to settle on the conclusion you did.

I am not sure whether it makes a difference to policy or political principle. Lots of bad people profess and practise religion. Lots of unbelievers are good people.

I agree, and that's why this is not an 'open and shut' question. But I'd venture to say that it depends more on what they DO in office, rather than either 1) what they profess religiously or 2) what their own religious practices are.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟244,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Religious, not religious, it makes no difference to me. I would prefer someone with decent moral character, by my standards. Unfortunately, that can be hard to find among politicians.

I consider Biden to have decent moral standards. Could be better, but good enough. Of the living former presidents, I also consider Barack Obama, George W. Bush, and Jimmy Carter to have decent moral standards. Bill Clinton needs work, and I didn't vote for him because I felt he fell short. Donald Trump, haha, no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,193.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church itself doesn't seem certain of that. Going to church regularly and flashing a rosary in public isn't sufficient for anyone to settle on the conclusion you did.

OK. The same could be said about the Pope! (And historically speaking there is much to support a cynical view. Dante's Inferno gives us insights into the hypocrisy of the Church in times gone by.)

But Biden's religious stance seems pretty genuine to me.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK. The same could be said about the Pope!
I don't think so. The Pope does, after all, have much more going for him, churchwise, than any ordinary lay member.

But Biden's religious stance seems pretty genuine to me.
Genuine perhaps. We may even say probably. However, being a sincere Catholic doesn't just depend on what a person thinks about it personally.

The church has requirements and he spurns them--in public. He's even been criticized by the church's clergy because of it, but to no avail. All of that has some significance, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. The Pope does, after all, have much more going for him, churchwise, than any ordinary lay member.

Genuine perhaps. We may even say probably. However, being a sincere Catholic doesn't just depend on what a person thinks about it personally.

The church has requirements and he spurns them--in public. He's even been criticized by the church's clergy because of it, but to no avail. All of that has some significance, don't you think?
It depends on why you would prefer a President to be Christian.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,193.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't much care about Biden's religious convictions, though he seems like a good Catholic.

What does it matter? Atheist, agnostic and religious people share a common humanity and broadly the same moral framework. With certain recent exceptions!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Two comments.

One: Why are the choices effectively atheist or Christian? A non atheist is not necessarily a Christian.

Two: I recall Trump being asked for his favourite Bible quote. 'Oh, I don't want to get into details'. In other words: 'I can't think of any because I've never read it. And 'Are you a NT or an OT type of guy?' 'Umm, both really. No preference'. He had no idea. I could have done a better job.

Can we include voting for a pseudo Christian in the op?

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,193.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I think it does. The Constitution is specific about the role of religion. Any president will have to confront clergy from time to time. I should think the Oath of Office must at some time bring Biden (and any other presidents) into conflict with clergy of various denominations. Many clerics will wish to press religious dogma he will not endorse - for example on divorce, contraception and abortion.

Can a president be a good Christian when he must discount the advice of the clergy?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can we include voting for a pseudo Christian in the op?
No. There are plenty of Christians, believers in Christ, who are not Bible scholars or even regular church attendees.

But a bigger question that should be asked of leaders who profess to be Christian could be this--do you want something like a 'poser,' someone who makes it a point to show off the external signs and claims, but doesn't adhere to the principles he professes and isn't at all concerned about it?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,193.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ah, a better poll!

Can anyone think of any recent president fitting this description?

someone who makes it a point to show off the external signs and claims, but doesn't adhere to the principles he professes and isn't at all concerned about it

Upvote 0