• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Would You Vote in an Atheist for President?

Discussion in 'General Political Discussion' started by Landon Caeli, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Yes, presidents should be actively Christian

6.3%
  2. No it doesn't matter the spiritual or religious beliefs of POTUS

75.0%
  3. Presidents should at least be spiritual

6.3%
  4. Presidents should have some kind of religious affiliation

6.3%
  5. I prefer someone solidly atheist

6.3%
  1. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,180
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nearly every president in the US has been a Christian. I was just wondering if that plays a major role in your decision making, or if that's just a coincidence these days...

So does your president have to be Christian? or religious..? or spiritual..? Or does that stuff not matter much compared to political views.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Presidents should be Christians because everyone should be a Christian. But I'm a pragmatist on this question. I would not refuse to vote for a person simply because they were not a Christian.

3. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+5,795
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I would vote for anyone who seemed to me would make a good president, regardless of their religion or lack thereof. The only candidate I would not vote for, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is anyone who had a TV show called The Apprentice.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,295
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I'd weigh political positions above religious ones for a president.

5. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,556
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Yeah to me the religion of the candidate is a non-issue. Just because somebody identifies as a Christian publically doesn't mean that he would run the country in a way I agree with. The opposite is true as well. A non-Christian is just as capable of support my political beliefs as a Christian.

6. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A "Christian" cannot be president and follow the Sermon on the Mount.

7. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,146
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

I'm disappointed that this question is even considered relevant, although given the pro-Christian bias in the US, I'm not surprised.

The Australian attitude to the religion of their Prime Minister can be summed up in the following quote:

Religious belief has played a major part in the adult lives of no more than half of Australia's 27 prime ministers. For some it has been a driving force and a central part of their public personality. But for many others it has been a trivial characteristic.
    The religious beliefs of Australia's prime ministers (eurekastreet.com.au)

In other words, the Australian electorate doesn't consider the PM's religion as a particularly significant issue.

OB

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,896
    Anglican
    Married
    ?? What would prevent any of us, presidents included, from following these admonitions?

Matthew 5:21-26 - Anger and Murder
    Matthew 5:27-30 - Lust and Adultery
    Matthew 5:31-32 - Divorce and Remarriage
    Matthew 5:33-37 - Oaths
    Matthew 5:38-42 - Eye for an Eye
    Matthew 5:43-48 - Love your enemies
    Matthew 6:1-4 - Give to the Needy
    Matthew 6:5-15 - How to Pray
    Matthew 6:16-18 - How to Fast
    Matthew 6:19-24 - Treasures in Heaven
    Matthew 6:25-34 - Do not worry
    Matthew 7:1-6 - Do not judge hypocritically
    Matthew 7:7-12 - Ask, Seek, Knock
    Matthew 7:13-14 - The Narrow Gate
    Matthew 7:15-23 - False Prophets
    Matthew 7:24-27 - The Wise Builder

9. Dave L

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    War and killing enemies for one.

10. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,896
    Anglican
    Married
    Which "one" (which verse) are you referring to?

11. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+3,001
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    In theory yes, but in practicality would be very hard and very rare. I would want somebody like Alain De Botton of "the School of Life", someone who has appreciation for the positive contributions of Christianity to western culture and thought.

However I'm afraid when it comes to politics and the various ambitions that come with that you would get someone who is much less benign. Probably not on the order or Pol Pot, Mao or Stalin, but maybe an atheist version of Hilary Clinton, or maybe a Richard Dawkins who also wants to use his political power to deplatform, silence and eventually reeducate Christians into his ideal of a godless utopia.

12. Dave L

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Does love your enemies ring a bell? Here did Christians in the NT take part in war rather than flee?

13. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,146
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

LOL - watch out for the evil atheists. This ridiculous (and offensive) stereotype sounds like something torn from the pages of a Christian comic book.

OB

14. Dave L

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Anytime the Church controls the State, many die.

15. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,556
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Hilary Clinton is a life long United Methodist and even had a daily devotions written for her on the campaign trail.

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,896
    Anglican
    Married
    Nothing is going to "ring a bell," Dave, until and unless you connect something to one of the points in the Sermon on the Mount.

Best I can tell, none of us is incapable of helping the poor, fasting, praying, adhering to Christian principles on marriage and divorce, loving our enemies, and so on.

17. Dave L

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus said we do not fight because his kingdom is not of this world. How many have the institutional churches killed in Christ's name? Do you think tares might do this instead of true believers?

18. Rene Loup

Rene Loup Saved Wolf Among Sheep

+415
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I will vote for anyone with Judeo-Christian culture's best interests in mind.

...And it is NOT limited to JUST abortion and homosexuality.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,896
    Anglican
    Married
    What verse from the Sermon on the Mount are you referring to there?

The institutional churches were not part of your statement. It was about Christians supposedly not being able to serve as president and adhere to what's in the Sermon on the Mount.

20. Dave L

+5,476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    How do you follow Christ in the military where you are unequally yoked with unbelievers? And follow their commands instead of God's?