Would you support the immigration of Hong Kong Citizens into the USA?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hong Kong is, as we all know, currently ablaze with protests of its citizens who are trying to cling to their democracy and freedoms in the face of ever-expanding chinese influence. Their struggle is hopeless, because in 2047, their status will run out and they will fall under the jurisdiction of the mainland. That is, of course, unless either the chinese government changes sharply in the next few decades (unlikely) or it takes control through other means at an earlier date (possible).

Considering that, would you support Hong Kong citizens being allowed to find asylum in the USA? Those people are well-educated, they speak english, they share a lot of western values and have valid concerns about their future. On the other hand, Hong Kong has more than 7 million citizens, and even if only a tenth of them would wish to leave their home, that would still be a big influx into the USA. Also, there is a high likelyhood that there would be chinese spies or influencers hidden among those refuges. And lastly, some of those protesters have shown themselves to be quite violent in their actions.

(If you come from a different country, you are of course free to substitute your own country for USA in the question).

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't like mass migration to any country, and I am sure most of the countries (or at least their citizens) wouldn't like that.

Talking about the US, it will be more complicated when you are already dealing with already 5 million Latino illegal immigrants.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hong Kong is, as we all know, currently ablaze with protests of its citizens who are trying to cling to their democracy and freedoms in the face of ever-expanding chinese influence. Their struggle is hopeless, because in 2047, their status will run out and they will fall under the jurisdiction of the mainland. That is, of course, unless either the chinese government changes sharply in the next few decades (unlikely) or it takes control through other means at an earlier date (possible).

Considering that, would you support Hong Kong citizens being allowed to find asylum in the USA? Those people are well-educated, they speak english, they share a lot of western values and have valid concerns about their future. On the other hand, Hong Kong has more than 7 million citizens, and even if only a tenth of them would wish to leave their home, that would still be a big influx into the USA. Also, there is a high likelyhood that there would be chinese spies or influencers hidden among those refuges. And lastly, some of those protesters have shown themselves to be quite violent in their actions.

(If you come from a different country, you are of course free to substitute your own country for USA in the question).

Yeah.

This kind of government persecution is exactly what asylum was created for.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't like mass migration to any country, and I am sure most of the countries (or at least their citizens) wouldn't like that.

Talking about the US, it will be more complicated when you are already dealing with already 5 million Latino illegal immigrants.

Agree. We need to take care of the illegals before anything else we do.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
America has always had “waves” of immigration caused by political upheaval. I remember the wave of Southeast Asians after America pulled out of the region in the 70’s. How is the anti-immigration crowd going to react if Hon Kong as we know it collapses?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
America has always had “waves” of immigration caused by political upheaval. I remember the wave of Southeast Asians after America pulled out of the region in the 70’s. How is the anti-immigration crowd going to react if Hon Kong as we know it collapses?
Perhaps it would be best if we all get to the point and stop exchanging political position statements.

Exactly how many people currently living in oppressive conditions (that's most of the people of the world) can the USA take in--as a practical matter--and then put on welfare, give free schooling to their children, find residences for them, and so on?? 50 million? 150 million? One billion?

Who wants to give his answer and rationale first?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it would be best if we all get to the point and stop exchanging political position statements.

Exactly how many people currently living in oppressive conditions (that's most of the people of the world) can the USA take in--as a practical matter--and then put on welfare, give free schooling to their children, find residences for them, and so on?? 50 million? 150 million? One billion?

That is up for the USA to decide. Canada is a nation with a population about 1/10 of the USA. I remember following the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 we took in 60,000 all at once. Same with the Vietnamese boat people and in the past few years we have absorbed well over 100,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees. Canada has been greatly enriched.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is up for the USA to decide.

All right, but we have been reading a lot of posts saying that this or that is what the USA ought to do.
No one says, "Whatever the government decides is OK with me."

My post was a request for those people to finish their thought.

Canada is a nation with a population about 1/10 of the USA. I remember following the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 we took in 60,000 all at once. Same with the Vietnamese boat people and in the past few years we have absorbed well over 100,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees. Canada has been greatly enriched.
So approximately one month's total number of illegal immigrants coming into the USA currently is what you are boasting about?.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You do realize that legal immigrants are not allowed to get welfare, at least not until they've been in the country for five years? The idea that immigrants, legal or illegal, get massive benefits from the government is false -- and a scare tactic used by "Know Nothings." Also, we have around 100,000 public schools in the US -- I suspect we could take a million or more immigrants and it wouldn't create much, if any, burden on our schools.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As the son of a legal immigrant, anyone who is seeking legal entry is welcome.
It's harder for people really fleeing for their lives to legally enter America.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's harder for people really fleeing for their lives to legally enter America.
I'd also expect the chinese government not letting those people go easily. They might need assistance from their flight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd also expect the chinese government not letting those people go easily. They might need assistance from their flight.
I really don't see them getting help from the Conservative side. Maybe the liberal side.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that legal immigrants are not allowed to get welfare, at least not until they've been in the country for five years?
Even if that were true, it wouldn't change things much.

The idea that immigrants, legal or illegal, get massive benefits from the government is false

No, it's not. The last time this came up, the list of benefits they receive was enumerated, and it was a surprisingly long list.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So approximately one month's total number of illegal immigrants coming into the USA currently is what you are boasting about?.

Source for that figure?

Beyond news outlets that lean towards the narrative that justifies your opinion.

I'd be highly surprised if that was true and not just fearmongering and entirely untrue. But I am happy to stand corrected.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Interesting 16 posts in and nobody’s mentioned whether the UK has a moral responsibility to allow greater immigration from its former colony to the uk.

I certainly would.

But I think we ought to be doing more to punish the perpetrators than anything so we can make their current home safe again.

The real problem here is that like Israel, Saudi Arabia and other morally bankrupt and outright corrupt countries, no one dares touch China because of the economic implications.

Upvote 0