• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Would You Recommend Sense & Sensibility To Teach A Teen Girl Facts of Life?

Discussion in 'The Box Office' started by unfinishedclay, Sep 4, 2013.

1. unfinishedclay

unfinishedclay Member

+253
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I just purchased the 2008 BBC movie version of Sense & Sensibility. I can honestly say that I find myself watching that movie over and over as much as I once watched the 1995 box office hit version.

Having watched so much, I can think of a few teenage girls who could really benefit from watching and then discussing facts of life afterward. Would this movie be considered too old-fashion to sit down and watch/discuss with a teenager of today?

BTW, any opinions on which version was a favorite? Mine was 1995 with Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. grandma dolittle

grandma dolittle Newbie

+74
    Baptist
    Single
    I love the movie and own it, but my favorite is with Colin Firth as Darcy.

3. singlecandle

singlecandle Newbie

+13
    Calvinist
    Single
    I really enjoyed all the versions of S&S
    that I watched, but I personally think
    that they are still highly romanticized stories
    from a woman's imagination.

I do not want to sound like a skeptic at all
    but Jane Austen lived in a different time
    and place. People are generally not as
    civil and clear cut as the characters in her
    novels.

I think Anne of Avonlea would probably
    be better.

4. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,054
    Atheist
    Single
    Sorry I have not seen the film or read the book so I can't comment on that.

But I had seen this thread and based on just the title was thinking about it, and thinking you were referring to the book.

But for the book I know enough to warn be very cautious, except for the very right kind of girl it would only serve to mark you as a well out of date person. BUT for the right girl it could work quite well.

I'm thinking a similar caution, though not nearly as strong, fits for the film.

Know the girl. For some teens 2005 is ancient history, others love older films.

I'd say do you homework on the specific girl(s). If they have never heard of Casablanca and hate The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind, then I think this is a bad idea. If when you mention Casablanca they real off a few more films with Bogie and Bacall I think you have your audience.

5. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

+945
    Charismatic
    Married
  6. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,042
    Non-Denom
    Married
    [..]