Would you pray for the disciples - knowing they went on to live in Christ?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So, I don't know who this would appeal to, or why, but the thought occurred to me "maybe praying for the disciples of old would strengthen the bretheren?" In other words, we could pray for the ongoing testimony of Jesus, through these disciples?

In a sense, it makes more sense to pray for the disciples who are alive today, but to do that you have to acknowledge the disciples whom have already been.

I think by doing this, we accord with the Holy Spirit's work through us, that we have laid down our lives, for those who have laid down theirs. It is a way of coming to reverence the Lord, in His Love for them and us with them. I am not saying worship them, Revelation 22:9 makes it clear that that is not desired - but we could pray that the Cloud of Witness goes before us, in ways that advance the cause of God (after all Luke 21:36 says pray that you escape what is about to happen; what better way to pray for escape than that the Cloud of Witness lead?).

There is truth in the new?

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So, I don't know who this would appeal to, or why, but the thought occurred to me "maybe praying for the disciples of old would strengthen the bretheren?" In other words, we could pray for the ongoing testimony of Jesus, through these disciples?

In a sense, it makes more sense to pray for the disciples who are alive today, but to do that you have to acknowledge the disciples whom have already been.

I think by doing this, we accord with the Holy Spirit's work through us, that we have laid down our lives, for those who have laid down theirs. It is a way of coming to reverence the Lord, in His Love for them and us with them. I am not saying worship them, Revelation 22:9 makes it clear that that is not desired - but we could pray that the Cloud of Witness goes before us, in ways that advance the cause of God (after all Luke 21:36 says pray that you escape what is about to happen; what better way to pray for escape than that the Cloud of Witness lead?).

There is truth in the new?
I'd be more inclined to ask those disciples to pray for me. As a matter of fact, I've already been doing this, as have all of the brethren for about the last 20 centuries or so.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
That's a nice thought - but its more blessed to give, than receive?

Maybe what I will do is pray the disciples help you, so you don't have to pray for yourself?

I like your thought that it could be for a long time, that is comforting actually!

Upvote 0