Would you marry a Muslim wanting to convert to Christianity?

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To me this sounds like a true conversion. For some Moslems it be very complicated to convert to another religion, even if their families are not super religious. She needs to "come out" at some time, but that may happen after you get married. I would not let this stop me form marrying a girl in her situation.

Another advice for you is to work alongside your girlfriend in exploring Christianity. Even if you have always been a Christian, there are still many things to discover when you read the Bible discuss faith with a convert from anther religion. It is also good to connect to a church together. Does your gf come from a Shia or Sunni background?
we go to the same church have been for years. Idk nowadays her coming out to her family is really between her family and honestly I do support her relationship with them so however way that she can have a good relationship with them is fine by me I've accepted thigs the way they are.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Did she convert (in your opinion) mainly to be married to you or because she was called to by God? I'd not want someone to convert ''for me,'' or for the marriage. Just curious. :)
It's been 6 months since she said initially that she wanted to convert. And she's clearly Christian not pretending or anything of that nature. When we first started dating she was interested in Christianity I think she is generally neutral about religion generally. She says she thinks Islam is a valid good religion and loves the family she came from and is not ashamed of it. But is also a Christian. She's not pretending to bea Christian that's kind of ridiculous.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly the outlook my fiancé has on religion it seems is neutral... I am ok with it though. She's not against islam nor does she think it's a faith that she is against being apart of. She said islam and being a muslim is apart who she is as well asbeing a Christian currently. Culturally I'm fine with it. And honestly our family will be Christian so that's all that matters. Also I've realized it really doesn't matter what her parents ad family know. As I'm not getting married to them I'm marrying her.
I wonder if you're in deep denial. Or maybe her family is not into the Muslim faith much. Or maybe there's other branches of the Muslim faith. But I know a family member, that married a Muslim women. The father kidnapped her back. And her checked. To make sure was still a virgin. Then made the husband convert to Muslim. And made him sign these papers to ensure. That if he divorces her. She is very well off.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if you're in deep denial. Or maybe her family is not into the Muslim faith much. Or maybe there's other branches of the Muslim faith. But I know a family member, that married a Muslim women. The father kidnapped her back. And her checked. To make sure was still a virgin. Then made the husband convert to Muslim. And made him sign these papers to ensure. That if he divorces her. She is very well off.
I didn't see this post but yeah her parents aren't that crazy they're pretty nice actually

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What if this person you've been dating for four years and are willing to convert before they got engaged? She's gone to church for years on occassion but celebrates muslim holidays and still hasn't told her family shes converted not until after she gets married so shes not an openly christian still. What would you do in this case?
Missionary dating is always a bad idea. Christians shouldn't ever find themselves in such a position.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave RP
Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What if this person you've been dating for four years and are willing to convert before they got engaged? She's gone to church for years on occassion but celebrates muslim holidays and still hasn't told her family shes converted not until after she gets married so shes not an openly christian still. What would you do in this case?

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a happy and fulfilled relationship whatever religion she or you practice, if you love each other that's more than enough. I am in a relationship with a practising Christian, we don't live together but stay with each other at weekends, and whilst I don't share her beliefs I do respect them and her right to hold them.

I feel certain that whether she converts or not, whether one or both of you change or lose your faith it will not matter a bit provided you continue to love each other and respect each other viewpoints.

As for her family, they may take some time to come round but if they see her happy, that should help as I'm sure they want their daughter to be happy.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I wouldn't want to marry into any family who takes religion so seriously that they are even afraid to speak out about it.

Then again, I'm an atheist and someone being a "strong believer" would by kind of a serious turn-off for me.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wouldn't want to marry into any family who takes religion so seriously that they are even afraid to speak out about it.

Then again, I'm an atheist and someone being a "strong believer" would by kind of a serious turn-off for me.

Why would someone being a strong believer worry you? I'm an atheist and I accept the right of anyone to believe anything they want, provided it doesn't impinge on me. As I said I'm going out with a Christian and it doesn't affect our relationship at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Nope, the closest I would willingly get to a member of the Abrahamic traditions would be a progressive secular Jew.

Look, I wouldn't get involved with anyone who wasn't rather settled spiritually when we met.
I tend to think less of conversions that are the result of romantic relationships. If someone is neutral about religion; what was their impetus to change their religion and remain grounded in their adopted one?

As for your potential wife being exclusively Christian and raising future children as such, do you even understand where her culture and Islam intersect? How much time have you spent with her family to observe this?

I ask this because my husband is both Chinese and Buddhist. In certain cultures where both the ethnicity and the religion go back for centuries, the traditions are almost hopelessly intertwined.

Your fiance may not even be aware what is just culture, what is Islam & what is the pagan holdovers from prior to Islam. Your children will be be raised with elements of Islam, because it is ingrained in the culture of their mother's family.

Accept that or leave her.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would someone being a strong believer worry you?

I didn't say it would "worry" me (although it certainly could, depending on what is being believed). I said I'ld consider it a turn-off.

I'm an atheist and I accept the right of anyone to believe anything they want, provided it doesn't impinge on me. As I said I'm going out with a Christian and it doesn't affect our relationship at all.

Sure. But as I said: "if they take it so seriously..."
I'm sure you'ld have a hard time going out with a fundamentalist YEC who ceases every opportunity to start preaching, right?

Then again, such a person likely wouldn't be interested in an atheist either.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I didn't say it would "worry" me (although it certainly could, depending on what is being believed). I said I'ld consider it a turn-off.

Sure. But as I said: "if they take it so seriously..."
I'm sure you'ld have a hard time going out with a fundamentalist YEC who ceases every opportunity to start preaching, right?

Then again, such a person likely wouldn't be interested in an atheist either.
All true and fair enough.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

To me the way I see it is that's kind of the dynamic she has with her family I've stopped worrying about it since it doesn't directly involve me.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a happy and fulfilled relationship whatever religion she or you practice, if you love each other that's more than enough. I am in a relationship with a practising Christian, we don't live together but stay with each other at weekends, and whilst I don't share her beliefs I do respect them and her right to hold them.

I feel certain that whether she converts or not, whether one or both of you change or lose your faith it will not matter a bit provided you continue to love each other and respect each other viewpoints.

As for her family, they may take some time to come round but if they see her happy, that should help as I'm sure they want their daughter to be happy.
honestly as far as our relationship has been it's been unaffected by whatever faiths or views we've had tbh. I just preferred her to convert for practicality reasons. Other than love hasn't waned because of this ever. Thanks for your words of encouragement

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nope, the closest I would willingly get to a member of the Abrahamic traditions would be a progressive secular Jew.

Look, I wouldn't get involved with anyone who wasn't rather settled spiritually when we met.
I tend to think less of conversions that are the result of romantic relationships. If someone is neutral about religion; what was their impetus to change their religion and remain grounded in their adopted one?

As for your potential wife being exclusively Christian and raising future children as such, do you even understand where her culture and Islam intersect? How much time have you spent with her family to observe this?

I ask this because my husband is both Chinese and Buddhist. In certain cultures where both the ethnicity and the religion go back for centuries, the traditions are almost hopelessly intertwined.

Your fiance may not even be aware what is just culture, what is Islam & what is the pagan holdovers from prior to Islam. Your children will be be raised with elements of Islam, because it is ingrained in the culture of their mother's family.

Accept that or leave her.

well in my wife's case oddly enough she actually didn't seem unsettled spiritually she seemed securely muslim. And honestly I don't think much of her opinion towards islam has actually changed rather than her view of Christianity. For me I felt I rather her convert than be in an interfaith marriage honestly. I've never really had any issues with our relationship with her being muslim I have muslim friends and I think sometimes people think of muslims as middle eastern. Neither of are actually in an interracial relationship. We're both white. I've heard of the term nominal muslim which I guess she is I'm fine with that mostly I've known her family for 7 years actually. They do have different customs some are religious some don't seem so much so though.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To me the way I see it is that's kind of the dynamic she has with her family I've stopped worrying about it since it doesn't directly involve me.

It will involve you, when you marry into that family. After all, it would become your family as well.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
First spontaneous hypothesis: She seems to have problems standing up for herself when the love and appreciation she gets from close persons is made dependent on her religious convictions and proclamations.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
well in my wife's case oddly enough she actually didn't seem unsettled spiritually she seemed securely muslim. And honestly I don't think much of her opinion towards islam has actually changed rather than her view of Christianity. For me I felt I rather her convert than be in an interfaith marriage honestly. I've never really had any issues with our relationship with her being muslim I have muslim friends and I think sometimes people think of muslims as middle eastern. Neither of are actually in an interracial relationship. We're both white. I've heard of the term nominal muslim which I guess she is I'm fine with that mostly I've known her family for 7 years actually. They do have different customs some are religious some don't seem so much so though.

My point is- if you want children who will not have significant exposure to anything other than Christianity- I doubt that will happen with this woman. There are plenty of White Muslims. Many Eastern Europeans practice Islam and have for generations. As I said, the cultural and religious traditions are often intertwined. If that doesn't bother you, fine.

Upvote 0