Would you marry a Muslim wanting to convert to Christianity?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually always was told Islam is similar to Judaism they both dont believe in the father the son and the holy ghost.
For normative Judaism, that is correct.

Messianic Judaism DOES believe in a tri-une God with Father Son and Spirit; but reject as too western/Greek the usual descriptions of the "Trinity.' It is as if they were specifically engineered to make Jews think it was paganism.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For normative Judaism, that is correct.

Messianic Judaism DOES believe in a tri-une God with Father Son and Spirit; but reject as too western/Greek the usual descriptions of the "Trinity.' It is as if they were specifically engineered to make Jews think it was paganism.
Messianic? Wouldnt that mean you're basically Christian?

When you said Judaism I thought you meant the ones who don't believe in Jesus. Do you guys believe in Jesus?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Messianic? Wouldnt that mean you're basically Christian?
Most Messianics would answer that a resounding NO!!!
When you said Judaism I thought you meant the ones who don't believe in Jesus. Do you guys believe in Jesus?
Absolutely, except we use His Aramaic name Yeshua - which actually means "Salvation."

New Covenant Judaism (Jer 31.31)

Reactions: Idl1993
Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I know Jews who are in the same situation. But Jews will just disown you and count you as dead; whereas devout muslims may come to kill the "infidels." (depending on cultural/national background)
Yeah her family is pretty typical culturally but not as primitive at the same time. I dont think think they'd do her any harm shes very close with her family and they love her and she loves them. So I doubt anything like that would happen. But shes not open about her faith I think she worries about them disowning her or tarnishing her relationship with her family since she is so close.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What if this person you've been dating for four years was muslim and are willing to convert before they got engaged? She's gone to church for years on occassion but celebrates muslim holidays and still hasn't told her family she's converted not until after she gets married so she's not openly christian still. What would you do in this case?
No, I would not.

I don't think we would get along sufficiently for a relationship.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, I would not.

I don't think we would get along sufficiently for a relationship.

For me her faith had no influence in our relationship so our relationship was OK no matter what she did. My issue is just I can grow a family with someone who isn't of the faith as mine. Well maybe I could but its not ideal. She celebrates Mawlid. And other Muslim holidays which I guess is more cultural maybe more as a celebration of a historic figure?

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If she is genuine in her wish to convert to Christianity, then I would definitely be open to it. Some of the most devote and sincere Christians I know are ex-Moslems.

I see some people give the advice "convert first, then marry". However, this can be very troublesome -or even dangerous if - she comes from a strict Moslem. If you love her and are convinced that she genuinely want to change her religion then go ahead and marry her

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
For me her faith had no influence in our relationship so our relationship was OK no matter what she did. My issue is just I can grow a family with someone who isn't of the faith as mine. Well maybe I could but its not ideal. She celebrates Mawlid. And other Muslim holidays which I guess is more cultural maybe more as a celebration of a historic figure?
Sounds like double the celebration, double the fun.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A big issue ive had is I want to have kids when I. Get married and I dont want them influenced by any other faith. So thats why I would rather not marry anyone outside of my faith

I think that's probably an unrealistic goal, to be honest. Unless you plan to keep them in a compound away from everyone in the outside world, as they grow they will become aware of other faiths, have friends of those faiths, explore ideas and so forth.

No, that's not the same as having extended family of another faith, but having that extended family can be a good training ground for a child to learn that people believe differently, that being different doesn't automatically = bad, that we can be respectful and courteous yet have integrity in our own position, and so on.

It doesn't have to be a bad thing; that all depends on how you choose to handle it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If she is genuine in her wish to convert to Christianity, then I would definitely be open to it. Some of the most devote and sincere Christians I know are ex-Moslems.

I see some people give the advice "convert first, then marry". However, this can be very troublesome -or even dangerous if - she comes from a strict Moslem. If you love her and are convinced that she genuinely want to change her religion then go ahead and marry her
Well shes already converted she converted right before Christmas in mid December but shes not open about it most likely because shes not sure how she wants to tell her family. She was Muslim and raised Muslim and so thats all she knew was what her parents and mosque taught her. She was always interested in Christianity and did research on it and spoke really positively of Christianity but in the beginning she was a practicing Muslim. Then she started going to church a few years ago and she liked it. But she still would go to the mosque and still read the Quran and the like it wasn't until recently last November that she said she was willing to convert. It came up about a year ago that she said we could raise any future children christian. Shes always been in favor of Christianity but not like in a rush to convert I think mainly what's held her back is her closeness to her family.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well shes already converted she converted right before Christmas in mid December but shes not open about it most likely because shes not sure how she wants to tell her family. She was Muslim and raised Muslim and so thats all she knew was what her parents and mosque taught her. She was always interested in Christianity and did research on it and spoke really positively of Christianity but in the beginning she was a practicing Muslim. Then she started going to church a few years ago and she liked it. But she still would go to the mosque and still read the Quran and the like it wasn't until recently last November that she said she was willing to convert. It came up about a year ago that she said we could raise any future children christian. Shes always been in favor of Christianity but not like in a rush to convert I think mainly what's held her back is her closeness to her family.
Raise the children as Christians.

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think that's probably an unrealistic goal, to be honest. Unless you plan to keep them in a compound away from everyone in the outside world, as they grow they will become aware of other faiths, have friends of those faiths, explore ideas and so forth.

No, that's not the same as having extended family of another faith, but having that extended family can be a good training ground for a child to learn that people believe differently, that being different doesn't automatically = bad, that we can be respectful and courteous yet have integrity in our own position, and so on.

It doesn't have to be a bad thing; that all depends on how you choose to handle it.

I guess its OK to embrace someone else's country as it would be their heritage. But there'd have to be a line drawn obviously between heritage and religion.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
What if this person you've been dating for four years was muslim and are willing to convert before they got engaged? She's gone to church for years on occassion but celebrates muslim holidays and still hasn't told her family she's converted not until after she gets married so she's not openly christian still. What would you do in this case?
No, being Buddhist, I'd rather look for someone outside of the Abrahamic paradigm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You might have to hide from family. They might be the one converting you to Muslim. Are you even sure she's truly Christian? She could be just saying the because she loves you. They have different custum. I guess you guys will be getting married behind her parents back. And I don't see them being happy about this at all. Good luck!

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To me this sounds like a true conversion. For some Moslems it be very complicated to convert to another religion, even if their families are not super religious. She needs to "come out" at some time, but that may happen after you get married. I would not let this stop me form marrying a girl in her situation.

Another advice for you is to work alongside your girlfriend in exploring Christianity. Even if you have always been a Christian, there are still many things to discover when you read the Bible discuss faith with a convert from anther religion. It is also good to connect to a church together. Does your gf come from a Shia or Sunni background?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if this person you've been dating for four years was muslim and are willing to convert before they got engaged?
I find the bolded to be somewhat disturbing. It assumes that we can initiate a conversion. We can't. Our Lord said "No one can come to me unless the Father draws him..." (John 6.44) We can choose whether to respond to that drawing or not; but we cannot convert without it, and that is ENTIRELY in the Father's timing and volition.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She's already converted but hasn't openly said she's a christian convert. So her family doesnt know she converted yet. She doesnt want to tell them until we're married.
Did she convert (in your opinion) mainly to be married to you or because she was called to by God? I'd not want someone to convert ''for me,'' or for the marriage. Just curious. :)

Upvote 0

Idl1993

Jan 30, 2017
Las Vegas nevada
✟8,400.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You might have to hide from family. They might be the one converting you to Muslim. Are you even sure she's truly Christian? She could be just saying the because she loves you. They have different custum. I guess you guys will be getting married behind her parents back. And I don't see them being happy about this at all. Good luck!

Honestly the outlook my fiancé has on religion it seems is neutral... I am ok with it though. She's not against islam nor does she think it's a faith that she is against being apart of. She said islam and being a muslim is apart who she is as well asbeing a Christian currently. Culturally I'm fine with it. And honestly our family will be Christian so that's all that matters. Also I've realized it really doesn't matter what her parents ad family know. As I'm not getting married to them I'm marrying her.

Upvote 0