Would you listen to a Man of God aka Prophet that give you bad news? Friend is paying $7K to Prophet

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was the crime that was committed?

I would say a "prophet" telling this woman that he could get holy water, oil and a holy talisman for $7,000 and without them, she wouldn't have a beautiful life with marriage and children, but would be depressed, suicidal and have high bp.

Reactions: LuvJesus87
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would say a "prophet" telling this woman that he could get holy water, oil and a holy talisman for $7,000 and without them, she wouldn't have a beautiful life with marriage and children, but would be depressed, suicidal and have high bp.
Sounds like the Great Reset

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Update: Now she said the prophet told her that her future husband ex is making her way back into the picture and want him to marry her. Now my friend want stop crying.

Why is she listening to this prophet - just out of interest?

I don't believe a prophet of God would prophesy about someone's personal life to that degree. If they were truly concerned about God's glory, they might say something like "it is not God's will for you to marry an unbeliever", but I don't believe they'd say "God says that you have to marry this man".
I can't help thinking that, as he has got her money, either he feels he needs to give her her money's worth so she can't complain later, or he is keeping up the relationship so that she might give him some more.

You can't make people see what they don't want to see, but at this rate, this woman will either go broke, have a breakdown or both.

Reactions: LuvJesus87
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's a shame that losing $7000 isn't shock enough.
Are not dreams and delusion unfortunately often the product of hope? Depends which direction people look for it, like the Jews of Jesus' day, thinking the 'world' can provide it in the name of God, while missing God entirely. Paying money for salvation has a long misguided history in Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LuvJesus87

Jul 18, 2020
Atlanta
✟16,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why is she listening to this prophet - just out of interest?

I don't believe a prophet of God would prophesy about someone's personal life to that degree. If they were truly concerned about God's glory, they might say something like "it is not God's will for you to marry an unbeliever", but I don't believe they'd say "God says that you have to marry this man".
I can't help thinking that, as he has got her money, either he feels he needs to give her her money's worth so she can't complain later, or he is keeping up the relationship so that she might give him some more.

You can't make people see what they don't want to see, but at this rate, this woman will either go broke, have a breakdown or both.
Because her life is in shambles.

• Prayers
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LuvJesus87

Jul 18, 2020
Atlanta
✟16,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely not.

i no prophet would ask for payment for bringing a word from God; that's a scam.
ii no prophet would say that you need a "holy talisman" to stop bad things from happening; that is superstition.
iii a prophet gives a word from God to bring that person closer to God, not to foretell their own futures and personal life; that's manipulation, playing on their hopes and fears.
iv hopefully a prophet who has a word from God would be humble enough to say "pray about this; it's possible I could be wrong". Scripture says to test the spirits.

Sorry but if she gives this guy $7000 her future will be that she'll be $7000 poorer and depressed when she realises she's been "had". What's to stop them coming back for more, claiming that the talisman has "stopped working" or other such nonsense?
I love this quote

• Prayers
Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What was the crime that was committed?
Fraud. A criminal offense pretty much everywhere.

" Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?"
That excuses fraud, does it?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I fix electronics 10x better and faster than another, do I not have the right to charge 10x more? Would it become a crime if I charge 10x more when the consumer is aware of the price and agrees to pay it?
If you defraud your customer, of course. Why are you so keen to justify the actions of a con artist?

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you defraud your customer, of course. Why are you so keen to justify the actions of a con artist?
Charging for my superior service, delivering that service and being paid an agreed price, is not fraud.

I spoke nothing about my thoughts on the prophet.....I only spoke about the ones who are picking up the stones to throw.

In the story of the woman caught in adultery...... whose actions seem to be better...... the woman who was sleeping around...... or the religious who wanted to kill her for it?

The OPer said the guy was a prophet and the things he says come true. Where, then, is the con?

• Prayers
Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Charging for my superior service, delivering that service and being paid an agreed price, is not fraud.

I spoke nothing about my thoughts on the prophet.....I only spoke about the ones who are picking up the stones to throw.

In the story of the woman caught in adultery...... whose actions seem to be better...... the woman who was sleeping around...... or the religious who wanted to kill her for it?

The OPer said the guy was a prophet and the things he says come true. Where, then, is the con?

The con is, imo, a "man of God" saying that this woman needs holy water and a holy talisman which will cost her $7000 and without which she will have an awful life; no marriage or children, illness and high blood pressure.

She may end up with those things anyway, even after forking out thousands of dollars, and by that time the "prophet" will be long gone. He may also now try to get even more money off her.

I don't believe that a true prophet with a true word from God would charge.
They have freely received that gift of the Spirit and they shouldn't charge for the privilege of passing on God's word.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fine. But making money through lies and deceit as the alleged "prophet" in this case did is precisely fraud. Why try to defend it?

I think saying that a criminal ought to be presecuted for his crimes, If that's stone throwing, then let's just discard the legal system.

So thinking a con artist should be jailed for robbing their simple minded victims is equivalent to killing an adulteress? Does the same apply to a burglar? "Yeah, he stole the poor widow's rent money, but she should have had better locks so it's her own fault", right?

The OPer said the guy was a prophet
She may believe he's Batman as well, but if he did what she said he's no prophet, but he is clearly a thief.

and the things he says come true.
I said Biden would win the election, does that give me a licence to steal from people? If so, would you like to volunteer to be my first victim? Surely you wouldn't mind being ripped off by a Prophet.

Where, then, is the con?
That's a question for a judge to decide when the "prophet" is brought to trial.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The con is, imo, a "man of God" saying that this woman needs holy water and a holy talisman which will cost her $7000 and without which she will have an awful life; no marriage or children, illness and high blood pressure.
Lessee, I can nip over to All Saints here and the priest will give me a gallon of holy water if I ask him (the fact that we're pals wouldn't hurt) so $7K does seem a bit much. I can probably get him to bless a crucifix or a rosary while I'm there as well, pro gratis, although I'll have to endure him belaboring me about why I don't become a *real* Catholic. i think it's a fair assumption that the grifter's claim to be a prophet is as bogus as the "holy" stuff he claims to need to work his magic. But fair play, I think a judge could get it all sorted out in court to (almost) everyone's satisfaction, and one ought to be given the opportunity to do so.

He may also now try to get even more money off her.
I'd bet on it.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"He may also now try to get even more money off her."
I'd bet on it.

The best way to protect a child from accidents on the road is not to project hate for all cars or try to remove all cars from the street.........It would be best to teach the child, instead, how to safely navigate the roads, full of cars.

Upvote 0