Would you ever vote for a lawmaker who supports murdering babies?

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at history and all it's atrocities, people always wonder why the Christian masses simply "went along" (although there are numerous examples of the few who sacrificed themselves)? But most of these events took place in Gov'ts where the people didn't have much of a say such as Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mao...
But in America, we constantly have Christians who will vote for politicians who will make every effort to continue infanticide in our country because they value other issues as more important to them.
Not looking to argue...just trying to understand what the mindset is from those who feel this way? How do you justify this? Am I the one being too legalistic?
Thanks

EnterLight
EnterLight
Tbf I’d vote for them if majority of their views aligned with mine and something could benefit our aspects in life for the better. I’ve never found a candidate that I agree with on everything and there’s not a person that exists that will agree with you on every value you have. Please remember politics, law and order is the law of mankind, which is flawed.
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looking at history and all it's atrocities, people always wonder why the Christian masses simply "went along" (although there are numerous examples of the few who sacrificed themselves)? But most of these events took place in Gov'ts where the people didn't have much of a say such as Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mao...
But in America, we constantly have Christians who will vote for politicians who will make every effort to continue infanticide in our country because they value other issues as more important to them.
Not looking to argue...just trying to understand what the mindset is from those who feel this way? How do you justify this? Am I the one being too legalistic?
Thanks

Actually I think the reason many politicians advocate abortion is because Christians are the minority in America and immorality has constantly been on the rise. So their entire plan is to appeal to the majority in order to win elections.

Oh and in answer to the title, no I would never vote for anyone who supported abortion.

R
Ross_Souls
But you will vote for politicians who would happily cut benefits to the poorest families or supp? ort companies that profit from exploitation
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks
Hypocracy is worse. Do we vote for someone openly supporting pro choice or do we vote for someone who lies about being pro life. I would vote for someone who is not a liar. Blessings.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some folks vote for the forest not the trees. I am not a one-issue voter, and as important as abortion is as an issue, from time-to-time there could be something else that is the greater good for the country, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thanks
sure that has happened and for the sake of "convenience" even to the point of so-called "birthday abortions" being allowed - where the baby is to be killed on its birthday - on its day of delivery.

But as you point out - killing babies is not something that the Bible forgot to condemn as we see in places like Lev 18:21

==============

What is amazing is that many states to this very day - have criminal codes that admit to the living , human status of the unborn child in cases where a "bad actor" kills an unborn child as part of his or her violence against a pregnant mother.

State Homicide Laws That Recognize Unborn Victims | National Right to Life

www.nrlc.org
www.nrlc.org

State Homicide Laws That Recognize Unborn Victims

Alabama: Legislation taking effect July 1, 2006 (HB 19) amended Section 13A-6-1 of the Code of Alabama to include “an unborn child in utero at any stage of development, regardless of viability” as a “person” and “human being” for purposes of the state laws dealing with murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, and assault.

Alaska: Alaska Statutes 11.41 (as amended by Senate Bill 20, enacted June 16, 2006) establishes the crimes of “murder of an unborn child,” “manslaughter of an unborn child,” “criminally negligent homicide of an unborn child,” and “assault of an unborn child.” Alaska Statutes 11.81.900(b) defines “unborn child” as “a member of species Homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb.”

Arizona: The “unborn child in the womb at any stage of its development” is fully covered by the state’s murder and manslaughter statutes. For purposes of establishing the level of punishment, a victim who is “an unborn child shall be treated like a minor who is under twelve years of age.” Senate Bill 1052, signed into law on April 25, 2005, amending the following sections of the Arizona Revised Statutes: 13-604, 13-604.01, 13-703, 13-1102, 13-1103, 13-1104, 13-1105, 13-4062, 31-412, 41-1604.11 and 41-1604.13.

(just listing a few examples above)..

My conclusion : This is not the massively confusing fact of life that some have suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Actually I think the reason many politicians advocate abortion is because Christians are the minority in America and immorality has constantly been on the rise. So their entire plan is to appeal to the majority in order to win elections.

Oh and in answer to the title, no I would never vote for anyone who supported abortion.
I think a big part of it is that soooo many aborton promoting politicians are claiming to be great Christians and even being affirmed by their own bisthops and Popes so it is a bit confusing to that part of America that is non-Christian and not informed by the Bible.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some folks vote for the forest not the trees. I am not a one-issue voter, and as important as abortion is as an issue, from time-to-time there could be something else that is the greater good for the country, in my opinion.
That is a very important point. In Lev 18 God says He will wipe out even a pagan non-Bible aware nation if it does certain things like 'baby-killing' see vs 21. But then someone will come along and add their own "yes but there is something that is an even bigger issue than baby-killing and it is overriding the baby-killing problem so that now it is just a sad side issue and doing it allows us to address what I view as an even bigger issue".

So "yeah" there is always that.

Some democrats in the South during the days of slavery saw it the same way when it came to defending the South even if they themselves did not have slaves. They saw themselves defending an issue that was above the significance of slavery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You use the term infanticide.

Under the dictionary definition or the comprehensive referenced article, of course not.

Perhaps you could correct your article title and describe the type of legislator you are naming?

Is it perhaps the legislators who routinely support preschool, the WIC program, school lunches, health care, etc. against conservative cost cutting measures?

Yesterday, for example, I chose a child's card from the giving tree. A 5 year old girl who needs clothing, shoes, a few toys. I honor and protect children like this with my actions and my vote.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟98,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I assume you are Pro-life. Could you tell me what is your definition of being pro-life?

To me Pro-life is “feed the hungry, give water to thirsty, give shelter to stranger, clothed the naked, look after the sick, visit those who are in prison. (Matt 25) , take care the widow ( Acts 6), give justice to the weak and fatherless ( Psalm 82) , pro-life to me is to take care immigrants ( Deut 10:19 / Psalm 146)

That’s why to me pro-life means “Paid family leave”, “ free education” , “ child tax credit” , “prison reform and rehabilitation policy” , “comprehensive immigration reform “universal healthcare” other social programs.

And yes, I too care about the unborn, but let’s take care the “Living” first.
They aren't alive, just because they aren't visible to you?

Yet you are willing to steal from some to help others kill the helpless ones? That's where government programs are now, even trying to use the military budget to pay for abortions.
Dave Barnhart wrote about the Pro-life movement

"The unborn" are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don't resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don't ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don't need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don't bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. It's almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus but actually dislike people who breathe.”
And the perfect people to hate and murder, because they can't fight for themselves--they can't escape into another country that might preserve their lives a little longer.
“Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.”
Do they? How do you know?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think a big part of it is that soooo many aborton promoting politicians are claiming to be great Christians and even being affirmed by their own bisthops and Popes so it is a bit confusing to that part of America that is non-Christian and not informed by the Bible.
Bob, you are absolutely right.
It is confusing to us too, as we watch our leaders give a nod to this sort of thing.
But even if they are leaders, God's rules still apply to all of us.
I think what happens to bring otherwise faithful folk into conflict with God's rules is a very simple desire in their hearts to win the political election. And they put winning above everything else.

But we all know that a day of accounting is coming for everyone; including them.
So all we can do is to pray that before that day arrives, they realize what they've done, and ask God for forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is voting in an instance where someone breaks a commandment anything less than complicity in sin?
wouldn't it be safer to Rebuke it Openly and hope those who notice do so as well?
Just don't vote, I Don't.
Now were it required that I HAD to vote.
I'd vote for the LORD Jesus, or myself, Or even an independent.

Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is a very important point. In Lev 18 God says He will wipe out even a pagan non-Bible aware nation if it does certain things like 'baby-killing' see vs 21.
I think using Lev 18:21 as proof for your argument is a stretch. Lev 18:21 is about human sacrifices made to a false god, not about abortion.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think using Lev 18:21 as proof for your argument is a stretch. Lev 18:21 is about human sacrifices made to a false god, not about abortion.
It says that they should not cause their children to be killed -- burn them in fire. You point out "yes but that was just in worship to a false god" as if killing babies for any other reason such as "convenience" would be just fine. Seriously?

In Ex 21:22-23 even accidentally killing the unborn baby would get the person -- the death penalty.

"22 “Now if people struggle with each other and strike a pregnant woman so that she gives birth prematurely, but there is no injury, the guilty person shall certainly be fined as the woman’s husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. 23 But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life,"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
is voting in an instance where someone breaks a commandment anything less than complicity in sin?
wouldn't it be safer to Rebuke it Openly and hope those who notice do so as well?
Just don't vote, I Don't.

If someone sees an evil that they know to be evil and takes no action to prevent it when others are gathered to try and oppose it -- are they considered "Complicit" in the sight of God? That is the question your statement brings up.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But my understanding of scripture is that there are other teaching in scripture which also need equal attention. Unborn are not the only one who can’t fight back. To me help those little kids who walked 3000 miles from South America to US border are equally important

Is it your view that to have legal immigration we need to kill babies?
Is it your view that we need to kill babies in America so we can feel good about illegal immigration being successful?

Do you see "failure to allow illegal immigration" included in the Lev 18 chapter -- where God says He will destroy even a pagan nation for doing certain things - one of those being baby killing in Lev 18:21?

How is this detail even a little bit confusing?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If someone sees an evil that they know to be evil and takes no action to prevent it when others are gathered to try and oppose it -- are they considered "Complicit" in the sight of God? That is the question your statement brings up.
Rebuking would be opposing it?
There is no lesser of two evils.
Evil is evil continually.
We live in the World,
But are called to be Set Apart.
We know right from wrong.
We know the Will of the LORD
Being in a situation where you are witness to something and don't rebuke it then yes?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You point out "yes but that was just in worship to a false god" as if killing babies for any other reason such as "convenience" would be just fine. Seriously?
I didn't say "yes but." I was merely pointing out you weren't exactly accurate in your use of scripture. I believe your extrapolation of a scripture to meet your own purposes is a stretch. That's all. The scripture references killing living children (i.e. born) in human sacrifice to a false God. I am not arguing your position on abortion. I just don't think this scripture means what you think it means. I think you might be better off citing church tradition of abortion being considered a sin since the first century. See Didache. https://legacyicons.com/content/didache.pdf

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟98,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will not debate on this issue line by line as you have here.
Because your arguments won't hold up. You know in your heart AND mind that unborn babies need as great of protection as born babies, but you can only try to distract by talking about other issues.
That’s because I know you and others who wants to “save unborn” , you truly believe in your heart that “ this is what Christ wants Christians to do at this moment”. I respect that. But my understanding of scripture is that there are other teaching in scripture which also need equal attention. Unborn are not the only one who can’t fight back. To me help those little kids who walked 3000 miles from South America to US border are equally important as saving unborn baby. To me paid family leave to help poor single mother is equally important as saving unborn baby.
Yet you are ok with supporting programs that encourage mothers to be single, rather than married?
To me sending US foreign aid to developing nation is equally important as saving unborn baby. If GOP ever adopt some of these policy in future, I might change my political affiliation but today “unborn baby “ mantra will not change my mind.
It's not a "mantra", except for those who are convicted in their hearts of the truth, but won't follow either their own consciences or the Word of God in protecting the very ones that need it the most. And you display your bias by calling out the GOP when I hadn't mentioned it.
But I respect your passion about “ unborn baby”, I only ask you don’t question mine.
I can see why--you have no moral reason to sacrifice babies for personal comfort, yours or others, yet you are ok with it continuing, just to support your favorite programs. And I must admit that aborting babies will cut down on the other problems you are more interested in, in the short term. But have you considered that aborting babies in the more wealthy nations, like ours, will reduce our wealth in the long term, so that we won't have the money to give for foreign aid, thus eventually eliminating the very thing you say you're for?

Upvote 0