Would you do this Job? Washing Electrical Power Cables with Water.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi johnboy,

It is estimated by the FAA, that commercial jet airliners are struck by lightning, on average, about once a year. Do you know why the passengers don't even know that it happened in most cases?

Well, it has to do with the person receiving the electrical charge being grounded or not. An airplane or helicopter in flight, is not grounded. So, lightning can strike an airplane and a line washer can wash a 500,000 volt power line without fear of shock because there is no ground connection between them and earth. Further, as one can see in the video, the power nozzle that actually shoots the water comes from a fairly long plastic conduit. There really isn't any human connection between the water jet and the person aiming the nozzle.

As far as hanging out the side of a helicopter, I imagine they use some pretty sturdy safety gear to ensure that no one can slip and fall to their death from the aircraft. As one can also see in the video, an ungrounded object can sit perched on that same 500,000 volt line with absolutely no ill effects. However, if the operator should grab a hold of the supporting power 'pole' structure, which may well be grounded, then his chances of being electrocuted rise considerably. The charge from the electrical current, esp. at 500,000 volts, can easily arc and jump through the water jet to the grounded object.

The most dangerous part of this job is the helicopter's pilot holding the craft steady in any kind of wind condition. I imagine that there are regulations regarding how strong the wind can be blowing for them to do their job. I used to work for the local telephone company as a lineman and we were restricted from doing any line work if sustained winds were over 35mph.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0