• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Would you consider this lying?

Oct 19, 2020
Paranaque City
✟8,979.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My gf asked me why I don't work out and this is what I replied. "I just wanted to focus more on my class"(partially true but not the whole truth, it was true because I placed time on studying when I wasn't working out) "There are also other reasons why I didn't workout" (I didn't state them but it was my only ) Is this lying even at the slightest degree? It sounded like my first statement was a lie because I said "I just wanted" but I also ended up saying "There are also" so technically I didn't lie I just didn't want to share more information right??? Doesn't the lie cancel out because I said there are other reasons why and she knows that this is not only the reason why I work out?

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My gf asked me why I don't work out and this is what I replied. "I just wanted to focus more on my class"(partially true but not the whole truth, it was true because I placed time on studying when I wasn't working out) "There are also other reasons why I didn't workout" (I didn't state them but it was my only ) Is this lying even at the slightest degree? It sounded like my first statement was a lie because I said "I just wanted" but I also ended up saying "There are also" so technically I didn't lie I just didn't want to share more information right??? Doesn't the lie cancel out because I said there are other reasons why and she knows that this is not only the reason why I work out?
As presented by you it does not appear to be a lie. Saying "I just wanted . . . " is a normal, oral way of expressing the principle reason for an action. If you had omitted the second sentence then you would have been lying.
In a third scenario, if you had simply said, "I wanted to focus more on my class" and left it that, there is an implicit possibility that there may have been other reasons. However, that is not a strong implication and I would view that as a lie by omission, rather than a lie by commission.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are asking about it then you know you did wrong in some way.

Building a relationship takes open communication and honesty. If the topic will lead to something very painful or a huge trust point that you don't feel you have reached yet with that person than you need to tell them that, but also that you will let them know when you are ready to do so. Large issues that is, not minor things. If it is only mildly embarrassing you may want to admit to it. Opening up lets the other person know that they are important enough and trusted enough to do so and they will also be more open back to you.

If your reply is "I have my reasons" then you have put up a wall shutting that person out. In that case, you might want to look at why you are dating them, or if this is just how you normally operate I would dig into why that is. That isn't a healthy response to a girlfriend. Maybe that’s how you talk to other guys, but that won't fly with women.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
next time, just turn the question back to her, and ask her why she wants to know.

If you understand her concerns and why she is asking, it will help you to give a truthful answer.
And at the same time it will also help you to calm any fears that she may have at the change in your routine.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How about ... I'm just not into the workout thing right now ... it's not a priority for me right now.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2020
Paranaque City
✟8,979.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How about ... I'm just not into the workout thing right now ... it's not a priority for me right now.
Hey, I am sorry there is a correction. I said I couldn't instead of didnt like. I couldn't do it because no one was going to clean my workout clothes and I couldn't do it because I got lazy am I still lying?

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2020
Paranaque City
✟8,979.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not to me since you stated having other reasons. In the future you can say "I'm focusing more on my studies among other reasons". Or simply say "I have my reasons".
Hey, I am sorry there is a correction. I said I couldn't instead of didnt like. I couldn't do it because no one was going to clean my workout clothes and I couldn't do it because I got lazy am I still lying?

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2020
Paranaque City
✟8,979.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As presented by you it does not appear to be a lie. Saying "I just wanted . . . " is a normal, oral way of expressing the principle reason for an action. If you had omitted the second sentence then you would have been lying.
In a third scenario, if you had simply said, "I wanted to focus more on my class" and left it that, there is an implicit possibility that there may have been other reasons. However, that is not a strong implication and I would view that as a lie by omission, rather than a lie by commission.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

well ... not sure my friend .... sometimes ... my answer is just ... (in regard to not doing something) is just a plain ... don't feel like or want to do this or that right now ... don't need a "bonefide" excuse (so to speak) ... nor do I need to provide one.

So sounds like the truth was ... am feeling lazy right now ???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 19, 2020
Paranaque City
✟8,979.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
well ... not sure my friend .... sometimes ... my answer is just ... (in regard to not doing something) is just a plain ... don't feel like or want to do this or that right now ... don't need a "bonefide" excuse (so to speak) ... nor do I need to provide one.

So sounds like the truth was ... am feeling lazy right now ???
So am I lying?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So am I lying?

well ... I don't know ... what was the real reason .... what was the main thought that hit your head and did you express that thought in words? Did you give yourself a reason?

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lying is a complex issue because it is not always an unrighteous thing to do. Case in point... During WWII if you were hiding a Jew from the Nazis and they asked if you know someone hiding Jews but you answered NO to save a life. Was that lie a righteous or unrighteous answer?

Upvote 0

Chantel Waters

JESUS is returning soon, stay ready!
Oct 21, 2020
California
✟8,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sounds like you came up with an excuse because you didn't want to admit the truth. Yes that sounds like lying as in when people don't say the real reason to save face or spare the other person's feelings. I'm guilty of doing that too.

I don't know if your gf will make a big deal out of your lie but you should work on your laziness. Learn how to do laundry so you don't have to depend on someone to wash your workout clothes.

Upvote 0

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟19,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like to me that you have a tremendous fear that you may have lied. We are only human. We all make mistakes sometimes. Even if you lied it is forgivable. It sounds like the fear is tormenting you and it shouldn't. If you made a mistake, like everyone does, Jesus paid the price for it for you. Just ask. Say Dear God, If I lied, I am so sorry. Please forgive me if need be. Thank You. In Jesus' Name. Amen. Then you are free (SO VERY FREE) to let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you might have a lying obsession, and perhaps over-analyze what you say. (I've had OCD for a long time, and lying was one of my obsessional themes in the past.) Are you getting any help for your OCD?

Upvote 0