Would you consider deification or theosis (θεοσις) to be controversial?

Would you consider Theosis or deification to be controversial?

• Yes, Theosis is controversial

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, Theosis is a different expression of what Catholics/Protestants believe

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
In Eastern Orthodox theology, theosis or deification is the process of taking on the qualities and likeness of God without becoming God. St. Athanasius said "God became man so that man might become God." What is meant by this is that humans become more and more like God, but, because God is infinite, humans never become exactly like God.
Theosis: Partaking of the Divine Nature | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

What do you think? This is mainstream Eastern Orthodox theology, but would it be considered controversial in Catholic or Protestant Christianity?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really depends.

I voted yes because God gives his Holy Spirit to believers so we may be like him in certain ways, such as being Holy and Loving.

But other characteristics of God such as omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence etc cannot be had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Eastern Orthodox theology, theosis or deification is the process of taking on the qualities and likeness of God without becoming God. St. Athanasius said "God became man so that man might become God." What is meant by this is that humans become more and more like God, but, because God is infinite, humans never become exactly like God.
Theosis: Partaking of the Divine Nature | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

What do you think? This is mainstream Eastern Orthodox theology, but would it be considered controversial in Catholic or Protestant Christianity?

Not controversial in my book. Dead on the money. The purpose of marriage is that the two become "one flesh," and by implication, eventually also increasingly ONE in mind, heart, soul and strength. And since marriage was designed by God to reflect the relationship between Christ and His bride, how would His characteristics not eventually become manifest in His bride given that this is that case?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes. Not even possible.
Following the lead of Jesus is possible.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Raphael, I don't believe that the EOC understanding of Theosis is controversial at all, rather, it's Biblical .. e.g. 2 Peter 1:4; 1 John 3:2.

That said, doctrines like our LDS friends have, that teach that man will not only be like God in holiness, righteousness, etc., but that we will actually BECOME gods ourselves, with Divine attributes like Omniscience, Omnipresence, and Omnipotence, go FAR beyond anything that St. Athanasius, the EOC, and/or the Bible teaches.

The doctrine of Theosis only becomes "controversial" in the hands of those who claim it teaches blasphemy (IOW, that you and I can literally become like the Most High, and/or that God was once a man, just like we are now).

In Christ,
David

"Before Me there was no God formed,
and there will be none after Me"

Isaiah 43:10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Theosis is normative, orthodox Christian teaching. As taught, historically, there's nothing controversial about it. Theosis isn't about human beings becoming divine beings, but our participation in the life and glory of God, in Christ and the Spirit, by grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It really depends. I voted yes but God doesn't give his Holy Spirit to believers so we may be like him in certain ways, such as being Holy and Loving.

But other characteristics of God such as omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence etc cannot be had.

The historic Christian teaching of Theosis doesn't posit that we become the eternal, uncreated, and almighty; but that we share in the Divine life which belongs to God through the gracious work of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The historic Christian teaching of Theosis doesn't posit that we become the eternal, uncreated, and almighty; but that we share in the Divine life which belongs to God through the gracious work of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Pretty much what i was trying to say.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

How God's love has us become is like Him > "in this world."

Now, an issue is what someone means by becoming like God "in this world." I can not tell you what various Greek Orthodox people are saying or how they really are becoming.

But, in the Bible, Jesus says He is "gentle and lowly in heart", in Matthew 11:28-30. And our Apostle Paul does say how we are called to relate in love >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

So, I see he means God wants us to become perfected in His love making us gentle and humble like His Son Jesus. And Paul says,

"My little children, for whom I labor again in birth until Christ is formed in you," (Galatians 4:19)

So, we have Jesus being formed in us, as our new inner Person. And Jesus in us shares with us how He is gentle and humble. And Jesus in us shares with us how He is pleasing to our Father, so we may become more and more pleasing to our Father the way Jesus is . . . with growing in Jesus.

And Peter gives how we can be pleasing to God, in our nature >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

This is what the Bible says. I can not say how much a Greek Orthodox person gives attention to this. Even if ones have this in their official statements, how do they go about becoming gentle and humble in God's love? How are we actually becoming, any of us?

• Agree
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad to see this thread hasn't stirred the controversy and misunderstandings I thought it might, when I read the first post.

I do think it is well summed-up in the single word above - Christlikeness.

We were created in the image and likeness of God. That was always God's intent for mankind. And Scripture is full of statements regarding Christians growing to be more like Christ. Theosis is part of this process.

Now, an issue is what someone means by becoming like God "in this world." I can not tell you what various Greek Orthodox people are saying or how they really are becoming.

But, in the Bible, Jesus says He is "gentle and lowly in heart", in Matthew 11:28-30. And our Apostle Paul does say how we are called to relate in love >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

So, I see he means God wants us to become perfected in His love making us gentle and humble like His Son Jesus. And Paul says,

"My little children, for whom I labor again in birth until Christ is formed in you," (Galatians 4:19)

So, we have Jesus being formed in us, as our new inner Person. And Jesus in us shares with us how He is gentle and humble. And Jesus in us shares with us how He is pleasing to our Father, so we may become more and more pleasing to our Father the way Jesus is . . . with growing in Jesus.

And Peter gives how we can be pleasing to God, in our nature >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

This is what the Bible says. I can not say how much a Greek Orthodox person gives attention to this. Even if ones have this in their official statements, how do they go about becoming gentle and humble in God's love? How are we actually becoming, any of us?

Not just Greek Orthodox, but Eastern Orthodox of all kinds. Of course, like any other group of people, there will be some who take things more seriously in their faith, and some less so. But if you want to know how it can happen, the writings of many of the monastics, going back to the desert fathers, explain that (though sometimes with more severity than a non-monastic can pursue). But they are very valuable in teaching us how to think of ourselves, how to relate to others, how to turn away from temptation, and so on.

Those who do pursue such efforts become amazingly gentle and humble people. When someone really begins to embody Christlikeness, just being around them has the effect of making people yearn to deepen their own faith.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Controversial?" Probably "yes," because such a fine line has to be walked in order to keep the idea from being heretical that most people aren't able to do that. The term itself further complicates things since it suggests something that then has to be explained away by the person who's advocating for "deification."

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much what i was trying to say.
ViaCrucis' description matches Orthodox beliefs. We become more like God with the goal of uniting ourselves with God - not becoming God Almighty Himself. Our goal is to participate in the energies of God (personal reality known through His acts...act of Grace, Love, etc...see below for the Greek ), not the essence of God (who He is, true being, ousia). It has many similarities to Sanctification in the Holiness movement.

Energies = energeia - act, action, activity, effect, energy, proceeding

Essence = ousia - all that subsists by itself and which has not its being in another

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0