✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi,

I write creatively and try to get published. So far publication has not happened, and this is very common. Many writers go unpublished for years and even their entire lives, which is why the self-publishing business is booming.

So I wrote a children's picture book in which the main character is a clown. This is a very sweet and sensitive, pure-hearted character. However, with some people having phobias about clowns and the recent mass hysteria about clowns, it has not been received well by agents or publishers, or about 50% of the people I have shared it with to get opinions on it. My artist friend who was wanting to partner with me for illustrating my books refused to work on this with me, and would not even read it.

It has been suggested to me that I change the character into something like fairies or witches. I don't like that idea. I think the fairy is over-done, and, being a Christian, I'm kind of iffy on witches.

The point of my character is that she is an ordinary person who is trying to perform and be active in a situation that requires talent. She is not a fantasy character or someone who has magical powers or spells. She is just a person, trying really hard to become something.

Being a clown permeates the whole theme of my story. If I rewrite this, then my work will be changed so much it will no longer be this little story that I love. When I think of that, I feel very sad and depressed. I lose all interest on this work that I have done on this story.

So, do you think I should change the story, or keep pushing through until someone accepts it as is or self-publish?

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I write creatively and try to get published. So far publication has not happened, and this is very common. Many writers go unpublished for years and even their entire lives, which is why the self-publishing business is booming.

So I wrote a children's picture book in which the main character is a clown. This is a very sweet and sensitive, pure-hearted character. However, with some people having phobias about clowns and the recent mass hysteria about clowns, it has not been received well by agents or publishers, or about 50% of the people I have shared it with to get opinions on it. My artist friend who was wanting to partner with me for illustrating my books refused to work on this with me, and would not even read it.

It has been suggested to me that I change the character into something like fairies or witches. I don't like that idea. I think the fairy is over-done, and, being a Christian, I'm kind of iffy on witches.

The point of my character is that she is an ordinary person who is trying to perform and be active in a situation that requires talent. She is not a fantasy character or someone who has magical powers or spells. She is just a person, trying really hard to become something.

Being a clown permeates the whole theme of my story. If I rewrite this, then my work will be changed so much it will no longer be this little story that I love. When I think of that, I feel very sad and depressed. I lose all interest on this work that I have done on this story.

So, do you think I should change the story, or keep pushing through until someone accepts it as is or self-publish?

No, I wouldn't. My experience is that publishers are generally only looking to mass-copy something which was successful. If you care about your stories, never let anyone try to put it into a machine and strip it of what it is in order to manufacture a hollow counterfeit of something popular; which is what they want to do. They don't care about creativity, they only care about turning a profit; and in their mind, only that which is popular can turn a profit. Stories deserve to be what they are, not what other people wish they were or want them to be.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Stay true to the story you want to tell. But if you do want to change it a bit, you could have her be some sort of circus performer that has similar qualities but isn't necessarily a clown.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Don't change it. Keep pushing through or self-publish. Lots of popular creative works got turned down at first for some dumb reason or another; once it finally got out, it was a hit. The idiot publishers who turned them down are probably kicking themselves.

Upvote 0

Hiram208

Composer/Pianist
Feb 20, 2017
Idaho
✟8,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a composer. If only every song I wrote was well received! It's the nature of the business. I'm always coming up with different ideas to fit the story I'm trying to tell. If the clown character is crucial to your theme, stick with the clown. Don't change it. Otherwise, listen to the critiques you are receiving and be flexible to adapt. Also, I would advise you to have multiple projects going so you have a Plan B if Plan A isn't well received. Lastly, if you truly feel that you have a great book, self publish. Today in the music business, many composers don't bother with pitching demos to record companies any more. Self publishing is the way to go.

Upvote 0