would this be liberal? does this group exist?

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are questioning many things and no longer agree with much of the fundamentalist viewpoints. He is even questioning the existence of God. We like our church and love the people and enjoy being with them but disagree with a lot of the theology that is taught there. Our church does not have any kind of charitable/helping other people ministries either and we would like to find a group that has that.
We are not into ritual and formality in a church.
So, is there a group that would allow questioning, have ministries to help other people and not be ritualistic?
thanks

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are questioning many things and no longer agree with much of the fundamentalist viewpoints. He is even questioning the existence of God. We like our church and love the people and enjoy being with them but disagree with a lot of the theology that is taught there. Our church does not have any kind of charitable/helping other people ministries either and we would like to find a group that has that.
We are not into ritual and formality in a church.
So, is there a group that would allow questioning, have ministries to help other people and not be ritualistic?
thanks

My immediate answer is "Sure. They're all over the place." But it's hard to give a better answer working from 1) more charitable work, 2) not ritualistic, and 3) welcomes questioning. Can you give us more to go by, especially with regard to that matter of your husband doubting the existence of God? That's a big deal, I would think.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My immediate answer is "Sure. They're all over the place." But it's hard to give a better answer working from 1) more charitable work, 2) not ritualistic, and 3) welcomes questioning. Can you give us more to go by, especially with regard to that matter of your husband doubting the existence of God? That's a big deal, I would think.
My husband used to believe the Bible was infallible and he did not question the standard Christian beliefs.
He now has read that many of the books of the Bible are compilations of various writings, some were not written by who they are attributed to and he realizes that the Bible is just a book and not inerrant.
He knows that he, and other people have experienced "God" but is not sure if that is God as described in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My husband used to believe the Bible was infallible and he did not question the standard Christian beliefs.
He now has read that many of the books of the Bible are compilations of various writings, some were not written by who they are attributed to and he realizes that the Bible is just a book and not inerrant.
He knows that he, and other people have experienced "God" but is not sure if that is God as described in the Bible.

Well, I'm assuming that you want a solution that'll be satisfying to both of you. In that case, it will be his belief that drives this bus since it is outside the Christian mainstream. The idea that the Bible is not inerrant and may have had editors over the ages both add and subtract from the original sources is liberal but not all that rare among the Christian churches. That God is not necessarily the Judeo-Christian god does pose more of a problem, though.

Offhand, I think of the Friends (Quakers). That's a church or religious society that does not care to define God and leaves such things to the individual, understanding that God inspires all of us directly and that we do not see everything in a cookie-cutter way. The Quakers are also renowned for not being ritualistic, right down to there being no set order of service or clergy. And charity, compassion, is strongly emphasized although the smallish Quaker communities are not famous for the universities and overseas mission programs that some of the larger churches, such as the Methodists, are.

I'd recommend "reading up" on them, either in book form or online, if you think you're really going to make the big move to another church. Be aware, though, that many Quakers are now what's called "Evangelical Quakers" who are less opposed to steeples and set patterns of worship (although nothing like ritual would be to an Episcopalian, for instance) but are more concerned about preaching and spreading the Gospel. I could see you tilting towards either the old kind of Quaker or towards these newer Quakers, depending upon which of the emphases you mentioned in the OP is of greater concern to you.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately churches aren't labelled in a way that makes this easy. So you'll really need to check into the congregations near you. Many congregations from a mainline church, Mainline Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, would meet your requirements. They vary in degree of formality. Episcopal churches will tend to be formal. Lutherans often are. The others vary, though American Baptists are probably the least formal. Some non-denominational churches will be open-minded. The Quakers and also Unitarian-Universalists are further away from the Christian mainstream, but are worth thinking about.

Every church I've ever known has considered service to others important. That includes conservative ones, though my experience with conservative churches is limited. But I would expect all the mainline churches to help people, and certainly the Quakers and UU would also consider service important.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the answer to your question about God is what He says in His Word, so if that is not good enough one can only create a god in their own mind. If one believes God has indeed given us His Word then we must obey it; for that is what He will hold us responsible for. For salvation one should read John 1; John 3; John 14 then ask God to teach, lead, and help one to learn ---though if one just wants their own god that they image then they are on their own for a belief.

I recommend one also read the following portions: Hebrews 9; Hebrews 10; and consider Hebrews 11:6. Finding a very scriptural assembly is very important.

It is important also to appreciate that we need to humble ourselves before God and seek to be conformed to Him; rather than expect God to conform to our likes and dislikes. Look up always!

Upvote 0