• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Would telling a friend, that you have high functioning autism

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes! If you put it bluntly, it might have hurt their feelings.

I worded everything super confusing, sorry.

I was talking about the opposite.

As an example, If I told a friend that I have High functioning autism.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In my profession (computer programming) pretty much everybody is used to it, and there's no problem talking about it. I can't speak for other areas. I know people in our church who are high-function autistics. Both are active leaders in the church. But I don't know how widely they are known to be autistic. (I know because I had one of them in Sunday School.)

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I worded everything super confusing, sorry.

I was talking about the opposite.

As an example, If I told a friend that I have High functioning autism.

It's ok, I misquoted you there sorry..

Oh well! If that's how they wanna be, then it's their loss. You've got Christ on your side so, you'll be smiling the whole way. You've got yourself the best deal ever. Christ Jesus as your best friend. Friends who don't stay in our lives, were never meant to stay in the 1st place. Not to worry, Christ will bring you true destiny helpers (sincere friends).

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes! If you put it bluntly, it might have hurt their feelings.

Someone who has been hanging out with you, who has committed to spending time with you and who clearly likes you, gets on with you etc etc.

They probably already have noticed some of your little oddities and an explanation of why you do ....... Will help them understand you and help them in there friendship of you.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say that by telling someone you are Autistic, if they then decide not to be your friend, it would seem to me they never were your friend to begin with.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
make them not want to be your friend or something?

I cant imagine why it would... there's nothing to be ashamed of in it and it doesn't change who you are... so if they know you already and like you, it wouldn't affect a friendship.

Upvote 0