Would life be harder in the past compared to now?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such as before 1000AD. People call those the medieval times or dark ages.

Events:

1. 33AD Jesus resurrected from the dead and ascended to heaven

2. 300AD Constantine allows Christianity to thrive in the Roman Empire

3. 600AD Muhammad launches his conquest of the Islamic Empire caliphates

4. Crusades happen

5. 1000AD+ The Great Schism

If you had the choice would you like to be born around this time period or would you settle for the 20th and 21st century instead or some other century?

The 11th century and under seems like a dangerous time to me.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Would life be harder in the past compared to now?

In some places it is about the same but in most countries the quality of life is much better than in the past.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would be fun to briefly visit an earlier era, but I'm female; I don't dare live in any time earlier than the late 20th century. I also don't want to live in a time before antibiotics and safe surgery. Time travel tourism could be fun, though: hop in a time machine, spend a day in the past, and be back in time for dinner.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also where can I find factual sources about the Crusades?

Unfortunately, we have a lot of Muslims and atheist liars spreading garbage and false information about the crusades. So I don't know where to look for truth about them.

400s-600s would be the most interesting part of Christian history, especially if one lived in the Eastern Roman Empire. The quality of life would certainly be poorer.

I think the best period for any Christian to live would be in Imperial Russia (go figure). The entire country was setup around monasticism and pilgrimage.

1623.jpg

1200px-Nesterov_SaintRussia.JPG

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Events:

4. Crusades happen

If you had the choice would you like to be born around this time period or would you settle for the 20th and 21st century instead or some other century?

Extremely primitive "medicine" if you could call it that, much poorer hygiene, rampant superstition in an era that did not know freedom of speech or religion, and people actually believed in torture. I don't know if that's worth going back to see whatever you would see.

400s-600s would be the most interesting part of Christian history, especially if one lived in the Eastern Roman Empire. The quality of life would certainly be poorer.

I think the best period for any Christian to live would be in Imperial Russia (go figure). The entire country was setup around monasticism and pilgrimage.
I'm a Protestant Christian. I'd be persecuted.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prefer to live in the current period than go back to the past.
If, however, I can go back to the past for a short period of time and not be in danger, I will like to go to Israel during Jesus' time.
It will be cool to see my lord and Saviour face to face.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer to live in the current period than go back to the past.
If, however, I can go back to the past for a short period of time and not be in danger, I will like to go to Israel during Jesus' time.
It will be cool to see my lord and Saviour face to face.

How would you find him?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Extremely primitive "medicine" if you could call it that, much poorer hygiene, rampant superstition in an era that did not know freedom of speech or religion, and people actually believed in torture. I don't know if that's worth going back to see whatever you would see.

I'm a Protestant Christian. I'd be persecuted.

I doubt you'd be protestant if you were living in Orthodox Russia. There would be literally no reason to.

Also who says you would be persecuted? There were plenty of German Lutherans in Russia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,134.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If we're limited to the time periods you have given us I would say out of those the easiest might be the time of the crusades, though that whole era comes with it's challenges depending on status and location.

For instance, you're probably born a serf tied to the land and subject to wars your overlord is fighting or defending against and are not free to do what you want. Not to mention the lack of toilets and lack of foods and goods we take for granted (like chocolate and coffee). Then you have to remember you can't read on your spare time, not that you could afford books anyway.

We have our problems now in the 21st century but it is by far easier to live now than back then, relatively speaking.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I doubt you'd be protestant if you were living in Orthodox Russia. There would be literally no reason to.

Also who says you would be persecuted? There were plenty of German Lutherans in Russia.
Not prior to 1100.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not prior to 1100.

Well since protestants didn't exist until the 1500s and the Empire wasn't founded until the 1700s officially there certainly wasn't an absence of them due to persecution. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well since protestants didn't exist until the 1500s and the Empire wasn't founded until the 1700s officially there certainly wasn't an absence of them due to persecution. Not sure what point you are trying to make.
If you transplant someone of my beliefs and put them in Russia without an edict from the czar (or in the case of the German Protestants, czarina) they'd be toast. The church was more authoritarian in the Middle Ages, and someone with Protestant beliefs about authority would be seen as a threat, and eliminated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you transplant someone of my beliefs and put them in Russia without an edict from the czar (or in the case of the German Protestants, czarina) they'd be toast. The church was more authoritarian in the Middle Ages, and someone with Protestant beliefs about authority would be seen as a threat, and eliminated.

Only if you are causing public disorder by prosyletizing could you be locked up temporarily (not eliminated).

It's just like in the west, if you cause a stir or rebel against the government because of your beliefs, then don't be surprised when you get arrested.

Even then Russia had plenty of heretics running around. I am unfamiliar with many of them being taken in.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well, "dark ages" is a misnomer. But for most of the past 2000 years, life has been tough. In Europe especially, it was a real struggle to not freeze to death in the winter, and to get enough food to survive.

Then there's disease. The "Black Death" in Europe killed roughly half the people.

And childbirth. Many, many women died giving birth. And many children died before the age of 5 (even in upper-class families, about a third).

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also where can I find factual sources about the Crusades?

There's plenty of good books.

The origins of the Crusades lie with (1) a need to protect Christians visiting the "holy places" in Palestine from being attacked, and (2) a response to conquest of territory belonging to the (Christian) Byzantine Empire by (Muslim) Turk and Arab forces.

These led to what were effectively European colonies in Palestine, and then the desire to protect those colonies. Plus not every European who went to Palestine was a nice person, and there was a lot of stupidity too, so it all got rather messy.

But read books by reputable historians; skip the web sites.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Events:

4. Crusades happen

No hospitals back then, the police were few and far between. You never knew when an invading army might march through your town, raping and pillaging.

Famines were not uncommon and travel was dangerous. No machinery to assist farming or harvesting, in fact, there was no machinery.
No phone, tv, electricity, no fridge.

I have not the slightest interest in visiting the past and especially not beyond fifty years ago.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0