dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, he willingly suffered and died for us. But when people tried to harm him before the appointed time (as in Luke 4:29, when a crowd tried to seize him and shove him over a cliff, he passed harmlessly through them and went on his way), it just didn't work. As I said, he had no need for any weapon.

And, right, this Christian doesn't carry a gun to murder people, but to have a better ability to save them from harm should the need arise. .
And, of course, the mere threat of force is often enough to defuse a bad situation. Someone will more likely back down when you display a gun than if you merely flexed your muscles ;-).

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
And, of course, the mere threat of force is often enough to defuse a bad situation. Someone will more likely back down when you display a gun than if you merely flexed your muscles ;-).
That's right, and I've been in a situation like that: confronted by several young hooligans intent on violence, who suddenly remembered an urgent appointment elsewhere when I showed them my Browning Hi-Power. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Phosophoros

Lightworker
Dec 24, 2012
Alberta
Visit site
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus says" im come not to send peace, but a sword" and he also wishes the world is already afire. Of course that means with the Holy Spirit, but when the Holy Spirit really begins to move, darkness becomes destroyed.

When Yeshua comes this time around, its going to be a bloodbath, and the old system will be destroyed...followed by peace under his rule...

Upvote 0
P

paintedgoldfish

This issue confuses me a great deal.
I am a relatively new Christian of less then two years. I was kicked out of church in Feb because I am married to a woman, (I was told I was flaunting my sexuality even though we never even touched each other while we were there.)
Then I found out that people actually carry a concealed weapon to church and the Pastor has a gun in his office. I know I am nieve and don't know much about who God is, but the message I am taking from this is that it is a sin to love someone if they have the same genitals as yourself, and that Jesus saves, but not in his house of worship because a weapon is required to keep us safe there.
I am not allowed to go to the sanctuary to pray, but the Pastor is ready, willing and able to kill a "dangerous" person who walks into his church.
I have no problem with people who want to own guns even though that is not what I am interested in, but why am I so much of a sinner that I am not welcome at church because of who I love, and premeditating the murder of a "bad guy" is not a sin at all?
If Jesus is our Savior, why don 't we trust that he will save us while we worship in his home? If God is the God of love, why am I a sinner for the love I have for my Partner?
I am very confused and a bit disillusioned. Who is my God?
I have found another church to attend whitch is comprised of people who have also been kicked out of their churches for similar reasons as myself, but it does not feed me spiritually.
Please tell me why my Lord says that love is a sin and why having a device that can end someones life is not?

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Please tell me why my Lord says that love is a sin and why having a device that can end someones life is not?

This forum is a bit like your former church in that it would be against the rules for me to answer the first question. And if my previous answers in this thread didn't help ar all with the second question, I don't know what more I can say. So, I'll just state my opinion that neither is a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

paintedgoldfish

Do you think it sends a mixed message to non believers when so many Christians (almost) worship their guns more fervently then they appear to worship their Lord? Does our willingness to be violent (for protection) contradict the message of peace and love that Jesus brings in the Word?
Sometimes I think it may be doing exactly that.
My Athiest family points this fact out to me often and they call Christians "hypocrates" for these issues and others as well. I often see their point.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you are like one who thinks it would be ok for Jesus to make land mine that blow little boys and girls legs and arms of when they stand on them!

As they are wepons of war just like Guns!

rob

That is about as foolish a statement as I have heard on these forums.

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus carry a gun? Ha

Jesus doesn't need no puny little gun. The sword He carries is more like a nuke.

But:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

Turn to the Lord and follow Him

Upvote 0
C

Caesars Ghost

Do you think it sends a mixed message to non believers when so many Christians (almost) worship their guns more fervently then they appear to worship their Lord? Does our willingness to be violent (for protection) contradict the message of peace and love that Jesus brings in the Word?
My Athiest family points this fact out to me often and they call Christians "hypocrates" for these issues and others as well. I often see their point.
They're atheists. They don't see your point when you're a Christian.

Don't forget the garden of Gethsemane. When the Temple Guards ear was cleaved off by Peter's sword. In that age the sword was the superior weapon. Today the superior weapon is the gun.

John 18:10 Simon Peter therefore having a sword drew it, and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. Now the servant's name was Malchus.

Matthew 26:51 With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

Mark 14:47 Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

Luke 22:36

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
It would be hypocrisy IF they were members of a pacifist church that doesn't believe in personal self-defense, i.e. Amish or some Quakers. But that has never been the position of the Christian church as a whole. And IMO, that's as it should be. Pacifism was not taught within the Jewish tradition Jesus came from, nor did he teach it himself.

Upvote 0
P

paintedgoldfish

Hmm.
In that case my confusion is turning to concern.
I came to the Lord seeking peace. I was told that Jesus is the Prince of Peace.
I know that for a lot of people guns are a means of keeping a measure of peace in their own lives. For me, they are far from peaceful objects.
If my Lord holds the same acceptence of weapons that many people do, I am not sure he is the Lord I am looking for. My definition of peace would be the abscense of violence. This is what I beg the Lord for.
Please tell me if the Lord can grant me peace? I don't want him to be a God who needs a weapon.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm.
In that case my confusion is turning to concern.
I came to the Lord seeking peace. I was told that Jesus is the Prince of Peace.
I know that for a lot of people guns are a means of keeping a measure of peace in their own lives. For me, they are far from peaceful objects.
If my Lord holds the same acceptence of weapons that many people do, I am not sure he is the Lord I am looking for. My definition of peace would be the abscense of violence. This is what I beg the Lord for.
Please tell me if the Lord can grant me peace? I don't want him to be a God who needs a weapon.
No need for concern. You can rest assured that God certainly does not need a weapon (or anything else, for that matter).

As for peace, I'll just let Jesus speak for Himself...
John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

John 16:33
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

Upvote 0
P

paintedgoldfish

No need for concern. You can rest assured that God certainly does not need a weapon (or anything else, for that matter).

As for peace, I'll just let Jesus speak for Himself...
John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

John 16:33
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The pre-incarnate Christ appeared to Joshua carrying a sword.

'And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? And the captain of the LORD’S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.' Jos. 5:13-15

Upvote 0