would Jesus carry a gun?

P

paintedgoldfish

I am not sure if I could believe that Jesus was peaceful if he felt the need to carry a device who's sole purpose was to cause harm or his ability to protect me if he felt the need to protect himself with a weapon.
So many believers are insistant on the ability of thier weapons to protect them and I can't help but wonder if Jesus would feel the need for one or if he would simply rely on the power and grace of the Father to protect him from all harm?
Personally, I hope he never woiuld carry a weapon of any kind. I would not want to worship him if he did. In my mind there is nothing peaceful about a device that causes harm and I am confused as to why so many believers think there is?

Upvote 0

Christophercbm

Nov 28, 2012
✟7,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont think Jesus would but he did tell his disciples to take up a sword which was the equivalent of a gun back in those days.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
Luke 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Jesus would carry a gun? If he did, would you still call him the Prince of Peace?

What did he say:-

Matthew 26:52
.Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword [Gun] to its place, for all those who take the sword [Gun] will perish by the sword [Gun].

rob​

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
John 18:10-12 NIV
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword(gun), drew it(it's trigger) and struck (shot) the high priest’s servant, cutting(shooting) off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)
11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword(gun) away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
12 Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him

Matthew 10:34

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.(gun)

Romans 13:4

For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword (gun) in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Isaiah 34:5-6

For my sword (gun) has drunk its fill in the heavens; behold, it descends for judgment upon Edom, upon the people I have devoted to destruction. The Lord has a sword;(gun) it is sated with blood; it is gorged with fat, with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams. For the Lord has a sacrifice in Bozrah, a great slaughter in the land of Edom.

Upvote 0

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
John 18:10-12 NIV
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword(gun), drew it(it's trigger) and struck (shot) the high priest’s servant, cutting(shooting) off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)
11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword(gun) away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
12 Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him

Matthew 10:34

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.(gun)

Romans 13:4

For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword (gun) in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Isaiah 34:5-6

For my sword (gun) has drunk its fill in the heavens; behold, it descends for judgment upon Edom, upon the people I have devoted to destruction. The Lord has a sword;(gun) it is sated with blood; it is gorged with fat, with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams. For the Lord has a sacrifice in Bozrah, a great slaughter in the land of Edom.

So you are like one who thinks it would be ok for Jesus to make land mine that blow little boys and girls legs and arms of when they stand on them!

As they are wepons of war just like Guns!

rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus had no need of a gun.

It's like the conversation a stewardess had with Muhammed Ali:

Stewardess: "Please fasten your seat belt."
Ali: "Superman don't need no seat belt."
Stewardess: "Superman don't need no airplane neither."
Ali: "...."

He fastened his seat belt.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
So what use of them would he agree to or with?

rob

I don't believe Jesus was a pacifist. At his instructions, at least some of his disciples carried swords some of the time. So, he was ok with using weapons for self-defense, though not for aggression.

But he would have had no need for any weapon himself. His divine powers gave him much better protection.

Upvote 0

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
But he would have had no need for any weapon himself.

So:-

1 Peter 2:21
In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely.
John 13:15
For I set the pattern for YOU, that, just as I did to YOU, YOU should do also.

So why would any Christian want to carry a gun to murder people?

Christians are about saving humans not killing them.

rob​

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
So:-

1 Peter 2:21
In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely.
John 13:15
For I set the pattern for YOU, that, just as I did to YOU, YOU should do also.

So why would any Christian want to carry a gun to murder people?

Christians are about saving humans not killing them.

rob​
Yes, he willingly suffered and died for us. But when people tried to harm him before the appointed time (as in Luke 4:29, when a crowd tried to seize him and shove him over a cliff, he passed harmlessly through them and went on his way), it just didn't work. As I said, he had no need for any weapon.

And, right, this Christian doesn't carry a gun to murder people, but to have a better ability to save them from harm should the need arise. .

Upvote 0